You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-9-2016 11:21:07  #1031

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Well - first purchase since the first week of July, when I sold one SM9 and bought another. I've just bought a SCM Classic 12 for £20. Just a thing, you know... it's rather nice and has one of those robot-looking typefaces. I'll post a pic and let you know how it is once it arrives. 

20-9-2016 12:23:01  #1032

Well worth it for that typeface! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Richard Polt describes the later SCMs as a little rattly; I think that's apt, but they are nice machines to use all the same.

20-9-2016 13:02:21  #1033

Fleetwing wrote:

Richard Polt describes the later SCMs as a little rattly;

That's odd, surely he meant ultra-portables like the Corsair and not the 6-series models such as the Classic 12, which I would never describe as being 'rattly'. I have a number of Classic 12s and other 6-series variants and they are solid portables that perform quite well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-9-2016 17:21:39  #1034

No, he definitely was talking about the larger portables, like the 6 series.  I know what he's referring to -- the machines don't seem to be particularly well damped, which leads to extra vibrations in the mechanism (and so the space bar connectors, for example, seem to make more noise than they should. Compare with an SM9, for instance.

Don't get me wrong -- there are some characteristics of these machines, like the short throw of the line spacing lever, that no other brand does better. And the typing action itself is really crisp.

20-9-2016 19:18:58  #1035

Well, I have all these delights to discover for myself in short order! I'll let you guys know how I find it. I've long been curious...

21-9-2016 16:57:49  #1036

Uwe wrote:

Fleetwing wrote:

Richard Polt describes the later SCMs as a little rattly;

That's odd, surely he meant ultra-portables like the Corsair and not the 6-series models such as the Classic 12, which I would never describe as being 'rattly'. I have a number of Classic 12s and other 6-series variants and they are solid portables that perform quite well.

There is some validity what Richard Polt said.  I will say that the 1950's models seem to me a little bit tighter and quieter.  However, the difference is quite small, and I never worried much about it.  I've always enjoyed Smith-Corona typewriters--Big and small, manual and electric.  I've had them as small as the Corsair manuals, and as big as the big electric 410s (Gosh I miss those--just mash down on the impression control and it electrically sets itself, and the power switch has a big ol' light on top.  The ribbon buttons (there were four) set the ribbon--including a carbon ribbon)

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

23-9-2016 22:15:51  #1037

I am now the proud owner of two Royal 440s. Almost a year to the day after I picked up my first one, a 16" carriage elite pitch machine from 1969, I have an 11" pica model, from maybe 1968. The Typewriter Data Base is very thin on information on these late large beasts, both made here in Hartford I believe. (I think Royal had moved its U.S. manufacture of portables to Springfield, Missouri by then, but the standards were still made in Hartford.)

This new one I found at a vintage shop maybe 3/4 mile down New Park Avenue from the site of the old Royal factory, which is cool. It types quite nicely, even though the slugs look like they've never been cleaned, and its ribbon still had some life in it. The line spacing lever needed some dosing with naphtha to get it to free up, but generally it was in full working condition, if not in the best cosmetic shape.

They were asking $30, but I swapped it for a couple of boxes of old camera stuff that I'd been given and was never going to use, but which might make cool accent pieces for decorating. They might be able to sell what I gave them for a lot more than that.

They expressed some amazement that I wanted the typewriter to actually use. However, the Royal 440 is hardly what I'd call suitable as a decorative piece, since it's all beige functionality (though actually rather handsome, I think -- I should find out who the designer was).

24-9-2016 16:21:47  #1038

Those Royal 440s were big, boxy things.  Kind of like a Volvo car.  The best part is that you can remove the outer shells on these beasts, paint them up good, along with bits of hardware on the carriages, and you should have a decent looking pair of typewriters.  Also, a bit of tranny fluid on a toothbrush will help shine up their teeth real good.  Be sure you wipe all the excess off afterward.  As to the designer, I am not sure, but he may have been proud of his new Volvo.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

27-9-2016 08:31:36  #1039

Ha -- a Volvo. I like that analogy! Handsome, but not something that will turn heads. One of the squarer models that started in the mid-60s, and not the earlier rounded ones.

Just fixed the Tab Clear button on the one I just got -- you'd push it in but it wouldn't spring back. Applied naphtha to the mechanism, and I suspected the spring that pulls the mechanism away from the tab teeth was shot since the cleaning had no effect. Turns out that a sheet metal plate right under the left side of the carriage (i.e. the same side as the Tab Clear button) had gotten slightly bent downward and was impinging on the portion of the linkage directly below, thus preventing the spring from doing its job thoroughly.

I'll try cleaning the slugs tonight.

03-10-2016 06:41:58  #1040

1940s Standard lovers: prepare to swoon.

I've finally got my hands on an Olympia Model 8... with English type! Is it just me, or do these things seem more common with Cyrillic keyboards? Not sure why.

I found it in a very odd vintage store. It was sitting in between a 19th century butter churner and a stuffed badger, would you believe?

I've been after an English Model 8 for a long time (because I think they are utterly beautiful). I ended up paying more than I usually would for a typewriter (US$150), but I still bartered the store owner down from its original price tag of US$200.

Not in great condition, either. But nothing a good clean and lubrication couldn't fix. It's working wonderfully now.

You know when you finally get to use one of your dream typewriters, and it really is as good as you'd hoped?
Because I do.

Board footera