You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-10-2016 00:01:13  #1061

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I wouldn't have anything on that particular machine, if what you mean is interesting tidbits and anecdotes on that particular one typewriter there in your very house.  If you mean Smith-Corona manual portable Galaxie DeLuxe typewriters, I can tell you I had one until I gave it away.  I can tell you about linkages to the type bars sometimes coming off and easily being snapped back onto the type bars--try them all out for links that may have popped off, and hairline cracks developing in the white carriage release levers (if you find a derelict electric portable Smith-Corona with black carriage release levers, grab it because the levers are tougher than the soft white plastic levers your machine has).  Outside of that, you have a very rugged, reliable, classy typewriter there.  Smith-Corona, for the most part, has made very good portable typewriters and upright manuals.  I remember the big 400 and 410 electric uprights.  Handsome machines that they were, and gadget-laden too.  But their reliability was about that of a Remington Electriconomy--good only for about a few pages before something needs fixing.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

27-10-2016 03:46:21  #1062

I just got this Royal 10 with 18 inch platen yesterd. It needs new feet, new rollers,and new knobs. Apart from that just a lot of cleaning. The date of manufacture is 1930 and it is segment shift. So far I have done nothing with it. That will have to wait a few more months.

(Edit: Fixed photo links - Uwe) 

Last edited by Uwe (27-10-2016 12:06:21)

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

27-10-2016 12:02:54  #1063

Myshkin wrote:

I had to wrestle a little girl to the ground after about five minutes of watching her do her best to damage the platen and type hammers, but it was totally worth it...
This thing is capital-G Greasy.

I cringe every time I see a massed ball of typebars, and it never fails to astound me that some parents seem to think that everything is a toy for their kids. At one antique market that I frequent there are several vendors who keep their typewriters well above ground level out of reach of the kids because they've all had machines destroyed at one time or another by one.

Congratulations on the Galaxie. It's a great machine and even though it's slick as snot right now, it should clean up really well. Just keep that jar of Noodler's away from it!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-10-2016 12:55:54  #1064

NDW76 wrote:

I just got this Royal 10

Nice machine!  I think it will clean up really nicely when you get around to it.  It looks to be in good shape from the photos.

When I replaced the feet on mine, these were what I used and the hole fit perfectly.  

https://www.amazon.ca/Reliable-Hardware-RH-1606-8-1-50-Inch-Diameter/dp/B00JJ191Z6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477590694&sr=8-2&keywords=rubber+feet

They're a little larger than the OEM ones, but I personally like the look and my typewriter refuses to budge when placed on my desk.  With a carriage that long the extra contact area probably won't be a bad idea.

30-10-2016 21:28:28  #1065

My purchases from the 9th Annual Typewriter Gathering AKA Hermans.
1897 Smith Premier No.2
This is a purchase from fellow Typewriter Talk user Spazmelda.
The carriage frame has a crack in it which is being fixed.

IBM Elctromatic
This was a trade from Ian Brumfield for my selectric 1.

Remington Vertical Adder
I bought this from Connor Brumfield in a non-working state.
Me, Brian Brumfield and Will Davis all took shots at fixing it to no avail.
Well today I tried again and managed to get it mostly working.
The 6 is still frozen.

My blog - Just Typewriters

06-11-2016 22:57:39  #1066

It's been a while since I've posted some of my recent finds. I'll start with this 1952 Underwood that I got for free (with metal typewriter cart) in Allentown, PA. It only took maybe an hour of cleaning, oiling and a spit-shine to get it working well, and now my son has his own typewriter that he uses constantly instead of bugging his old man for one of mine! He loves it, and I love that he loves it!

Then I got this teeny Corona 3 at a thrift store in Amish country. I talked them down to $25. Apparently it had been working when they'd gotten it in a day or two earlier, but by the time I'd gotten there, "every kid who'd come into the store" had been mashing it, the drawstring had been snapped, and the central hinge had been bent pretty severely. Once I'd convinced them that I'd give it a loving home, and could save it from little fingers, they were happy to negotiate the price. There's no case, it is bent and dirty, and the platen seems as hard as chalk, but I think I can whip it back into shape. (Fun fact: Just today my wife and I watched the movie "Iron Jawed Angels" (2004) about the suffragist movement around WWI, and suffragist leader Alice Paul--played by Hilary Swank--has a Corona 3 on her office desk.)

Finally, last week, I went out to the mountains of central Pennsylvania north of Harrisburg to rescue this Smith Premier No. 4 (1900), with bent-up metal case, which the owner was going to dump at the scrap yard. Here's a pic "fresh off the farm," as they say. It's missing the "6" key and the bell, but otherwise seems complete. It is rusty as heck and its 84 keys and mechanisms will take forever to clean, but I'm utterly fascinated by it. The metal drawband is bent up, but still works along with the mainspring, which I'll take as a minor victory. It still has the original (ridiculously wide) ribbon, but it disintegrates on touch. Fun stuff! 

07-11-2016 10:47:18  #1067

Some great finds there. I really envy you (or your son, I should say!) that Underwood -- I really want one from that vintage, with basket shift and the larger line spacing lever. The fact you got it and a typing table for free is terrific.

07-11-2016 11:18:15  #1068

Fleetwing wrote:

I really want one from that vintage, with basket shift and the larger line spacing lever.

If you want an earlier Underwood with segment shift and a large line space lever, the 150 makes a great alternative.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-11-2016 13:35:52  #1069

Oh, I thought that was the 150. I'll have to bone up more on the Underwoods of this vintage.

I got a Touch-Master 5 back in the summer that has some issues with it, though it still types -- but I love its touch. Rather plain to look at, however -- the earlier basket-shift Underwood standards have a wonderful style.

07-11-2016 16:51:28  #1070

Went to my local antiques mall on the weekend with a couple of friends, and I got lucky when I spied this little Olympia SF sitting in one of the stalls, covered in dust and grime.  $30 later and it was mine!  I've been on the lookout for an ultraportable Olympia, so this made my day.  No case/lid/shell unfortunately, but after some cleaning of the internals it types like a champ!  The best way to describe it would be to say that it feels like a small typewriter that is made of big typewriter parts.

The outside is a beige type colour, except it has a bunch of yellow staining on various spots (not easily photographed) so I still need to clean the outside a bit.  Other than that, the plastic on most of the keys have tiny, hairline fractures in them as well as some staining.  But I'm still quite pleased.

Based on the rear tag, this machine's original home was South Africa, so the keyboard has a slightly different set of symbols than I'm accustomed to - anyone know what the key marked "'n" or "0/0" would be be used for?

Board footera