You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2016 17:05:35  #1071

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Well - my MOST recent acquisition is a very nice little Lettera 22, picked up for a very nice cheap price, out of which I knocked a spring in cleaning it, so now the carriage sticks to the left. VERY annoying!! I think I've worked out where I have to try to get it back into, at least - IF I can do it...

But before that there were the SCM Classic 12, of which I have no pictures yet, and this one - in my current situation a bit of an extravagance, but the 'reasoning' is that it might help me figure out how to fix my green one... 

07-11-2016 17:17:21  #1072

I like the two tone!  I'm hard pressed to see why you'd want green, when the red works so well.  Does it write nicely?

07-11-2016 17:50:50  #1073

Fleetwing wrote:

Oh, I thought that was the 150.

Pretty sure it's the 100 Rhythm Touch. The 150 doesn't have the chrome trim around the base and it has a different case design. Also, I wouldn't rely on the Database for reference; Underwood model naming there is a real mess, and many have been clumped together under a generic SX heading. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-11-2016 18:11:42  #1074

Ampelmann wrote:

...anyone know what the key marked "'n" or "0/0" would be be used for?

0/0 is percentage, as in 75%, for example. I'm not sure about the other key, but the keyboard looks to be one from Olympia's Universal layouts, which usually provides extra keys for language accents. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-11-2016 19:23:18  #1075

Uwe wrote:

Fleetwing wrote:

Oh, I thought that was the 150.

Pretty sure it's the 100 Rhythm Touch. The 150 doesn't have the chrome trim around the base and it has a different case design. Also, I wouldn't rely on the Database for reference; Underwood model naming there is a real mess, and many have been clumped together under a generic SX heading. 

Good tip -- the chrome trim around the bottom is stylish, so it's the 100 I'll be looking for.

08-11-2016 16:43:35  #1076

Uwe wrote:

Ampelmann wrote:

...anyone know what the key marked "'n" or "0/0" would be be used for?

0/0 is percentage, as in 75%, for example. I'm not sure about the other key, but the keyboard looks to be one from Olympia's Universal layouts, which usually provides extra keys for language accents. 

Huh, how about that?  Brain got so focused on fractions that when I typed it out, it skipped "percent sign" and went straight to "what use does the fraction 0/0 get used for?"  

I'll see myself out now...

08-11-2016 19:15:10  #1077

It happens. 

It would be good to figure out what the other key is used for though.

12-11-2016 16:30:26  #1078

I have been silent but I have not been idle in acquiring typewriters. Here is my most recent:

The Remington AntiWriter

It's not shown resting in a field or in sunlight, or with highlights or artistic lighting or hints of Bauhaus. It is as received and wearing its original coating of dirt. I bought it because:

(1) It had been on eBay for months and nobody wanted it for $20 + shipping
(2) I own a pica SuperWriter which I love, and this is an elite relative
(3) Owner asserted it worked well though missing the "Y" key top

Also it has the unusual paragraph/section symbol key and finally it was my birthday so I though if nobody had taken it by then it was fate. It arrived packed as if it were worth $100's and not $20 and when I wrote a thank you note to the former owner learned that her father had brought it home in the 1950's. So it was a one owner typewriter and well-loved except that it showed some signs of recent non-optimal storage. 

It required some extensive repairs to get it working again:

(1) I replaced the original mildewed ribbon with a new old stock ribbon
(2) I replaced the new old stock ribbon which was just as bad as the original with a second NOS ribbon
(3) I detached the uncommon right shift-lock key cover and used it for the "Y" key

That was a day's work, I tell you.  Here is the result:

Aha, AntiWriter - you write! Here are the strong points:

(1) Crisp responsive action
(2) Pleasant to write on and to return the incredibly smooth carriage
(3) Does not punch holes in the paper!

It writes so gingerly in fact that you can type on both sides of an ordinary sheet of general purpose paper without being able to read the first side in braille on the second and it is quiet. It does have a few flaws, as an imperfect machine in an imperfect world:

(1) Letters type with minor and varying misalignment
(2) Occasionally stutters a space

The first I take as evidence of a deliberate design trade off between precision and durability. It works crisply thought is there is as much dirt visible on the segment as on the body since there is some clearance between the moving parts which means tolerating some minor misalignment. The second seems potentially more serious and suggests something is wearing out in the escapement, but by typing with a modest rather than a slamming touch I limit it to once or twice per page, lower than my rates of other typos, so still not affecting usability. 

I shall not be cleaning off the visible dirt anytime soon. It suggests strength and endurance on a working machine. And who knows, it might need it to work.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

12-11-2016 17:10:51  #1079

AntiWriter?  I'm not understanding.  Actually, what you have is known as a Super-Riter.  I had a 1953 model just like that once.  And, true to form for a Remington, it too had crooked letters.  But there is a certain charm to crooked lettering--it's a distinct personality of the typewriter.  You've got a nice 'un.  In keeping with Remington nomenclature, why not call it the Anti-Riter.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

12-11-2016 18:06:46  #1080

TypewriterKing wrote:

AntiWriter? I'm not understanding. Actually, what you have is known as a Super-Riter.

He already mentioned that it was a Super-Riter (see item 2 on the list of reasons why he bought the typewriter). 'AntiWriter' was just a tongue-in-cheek witticism.

Board footera