You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-1-2017 19:51:52  #1111

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Hi, me again... Well the Continental has arrived and ohmigod it's adorable. I've spent an unconscionable amount of time cleaning out all KINDS of built-up layers of grub, dust mice which are more like dirt mice, getting the margin release working again,getting a loose spring back into place and so on. The type slugs were in an unconscionable state. But even straight from the box it typed REALLY well, and now it's clean it's just insane! Maybe the best actual typer I own. So that was a happy accident! I haven't got it quite done yet but when it's looking its shiniest I will take a picture. 

23-1-2017 10:05:32  #1112

Something new...

An Amaya A-120. Not the typical typewriter, but sadly in veeeeery bad shape. The idiot who shipped it managed to pack it apparently well, but it has arrived totally destroyed. The return lever is broken, the spacer is destroyed, lots of typebars are misalligned... I´d say someone dropped this typewriter and then the shipping finished it.

The machine itself is interesting. Mechanically it´s similar to the original Swiss Patria, although no one could say just by looking at it. The bodywork looks good, and this wide carriage model is intended for heavy workloads at the office. In addition, it has a lot of padding in an attempt to dampen the noise as much as possible.

But it´s broken. Utterly broken. I hope I can do something about it...

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

23-1-2017 12:30:38  #1113

Oh how upsetting. It's beautiful...

24-1-2017 11:51:27  #1114

1938 LC Smith Super-Speed.

http://typewriterdatabase.com/1938-lc-smith-super-speed.7322.typewriter
(sorry for no pictures here as I am having computer troubles.)
This was a ebay purchase. Arrived undamaged and packed very well.

Last edited by Uwe (24-1-2017 14:07:10)

My blog - Just Typewriters

24-1-2017 13:35:02  #1115

You say in the TWDB this is your favourite typewriter. Seeing your wonderful collection I´d ask why.

I also have a 1938 LC Smith Super Speed, and I find it unnecessarily complex and not as fast as the name suggests. It´s quite pleasant to use, but it´s far from being one of my favourite typewriters. Of course this is a matter of personal preference, but I´m curious about it

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

24-1-2017 19:37:56  #1116

Javi wrote:

You say in the TWDB this is your favourite typewriter. Seeing your wonderful collection I´d ask why.

I also have a 1938 LC Smith Super Speed, and I find it unnecessarily complex and not as fast as the name suggests. It´s quite pleasant to use, but it´s far from being one of my favourite typewriters. Of course this is a matter of personal preference, but I´m curious about it

I have wanted one of these for a long time.
I do quite like the touch on it. Is there anything in my collection that you would think is better?

My blog - Just Typewriters

25-1-2017 06:16:39  #1117

mre12ax7 wrote:

I do quite like the touch on it. Is there anything in my collection that you would think is better?

For my taste (and always speaking about typewriters I own) the Underwood 5 is better. The Royal 10... I don´t really know because mine isn´t at 100%, but the Royal 5 (the Flatbed) is really nice. Assuming the 5 and the 10 are similar in performance and touch in equal condition, I´d choose any of them instead of the LC Smith Super Spped without hesitating. The same goes for the Underwood 5.

With newer typewriters... It´s a bit difficult. How can you compare a Super Speed with a Royal HH? Or a SG1? The HH has been in my collection for a good while, and it´s certainly good. Now I´m waiting for a SG1 to arrive, but there seems to be the general consensus that it´s one of the best typewriters ever and I´m eager to check it for myself.

But in the end, the most important thing is finding your own typewriter. The one that makes you feel comfortable with, the one which better suits your typing and, why not, a good looking one. The typing experience has many levels, I guess. My experience with the LC Smith Super Speed is not that good, even if mine is in good shape after being repaired. For example, after undergoing the same kind of repairs I´d choose any other "similar" machines such as the Urania 8, Rheinmetall 9, Hispano Olivetti M40, Continental Standard... I´d put the Super Speed over the Iberia or the Orga Privat. All of them have been repaired by professionals, so they´re in the same condition and can be easily compared.

For me, the best typewriter in terms of pure performance is the Olivetti Linea 98, and I really doubt that´s a common choice. But it´s not my favourite one. In fact, I´d have a hard time choosing it!

(Olivetti Linea 98)

25-1-2017 10:04:17  #1118

Aaaaand...

A Rooy Portable! ¡Toma ya!

I´ve spent like... three months or so without any new typewriter, and now I´ve got the Amaya 120 and this wonderful little thing. The Rooy Portable is definitely collectable, so I couldn´t let it go. It works fine, it only needs a new ribbon, some cleaning and finally getting rid of a bit of superficial rust. Maybe it´s not the best typewriter (in fact it´s horrible), but for sure it´s the flattest. 4,5 cm when folded, and featherweight.

And look at this silly forced perspective photo I took:

It looks even smaller than it is!

(Olivetti Linea 98)

25-1-2017 13:25:10  #1119

Not a good typewriter? In what way? (I've never seen one, much less used one.) 

Can't figure out that keyboard -- doesn't seem to be Spanish or French.

25-1-2017 14:28:55  #1120

Looks like a French keyboard to me. I only own one machine with such a keyboard, and unfortunately I can't use it; I can live with the German keyboards as mentally swapping the Z and Y becomes easy after a paragraph or two, but there are too many relocated keys in the French version for me to deal with... 

I wanted to challenge Javi's claim that the Rooy is the flattest ultra-portable, but I can't find my Groma Gromina at the moment to measure its height. I'm very curious as to how it compares. For that matter, I should also measure the first generation Hermes Baby.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera