You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2017 15:01:03  #1121

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

French -- yes, looking again I think all the accented letters are there, and the circonflex and umlaut are on one key (dead, presumably).

Makes me realize that English standard keyboards lost the opportunity to add a couple of extra characters by having the period and comma in lower and upper case. I don't think people typed any extended passages all in caps, so no need for those characters in upper case (my view, anyway). 

02-2-2017 19:40:14  #1122

I did it again...
1968 Royal FPE

The only thing seriously wrong with this machine is something no amount of light use, favorable storage and careful packing can avert: age. No matter how lightly used that platen was before it was stored away for five decades it's still a five decade old platen. The touch is a tad hard and the sound a tad high pitched (backing sheets help both), but other than that looks a few years old at most and worked perfectly out of the box.

The yard sale and barn find crowd may scoff, but any day $65 will get a next to new looking machine packed by a person who treated it like it was making them $1500 instead of maybe $15, shipped halfway across the country and dropped off at your door by the postman, printing like this...

is a good day! Think of it as $15 plus a premium because the yard sale was in Indiana, and I am not. (And discount the one I have not repaired yet because you can't win them all).

Go out and buy some under-loved standards! You will be glad you did. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

02-2-2017 19:54:24  #1123

Great looking machine!!  Print sample looks very good too.  Capitals are just a touch low, but not bad enough to worry about.  But I don't think this machine was made in 1968.  More than likely, it was made in 1958.  I am not sure when the HH ended and the FP started, but I had heard that the earliest FP was 1957, but I haven't seen an HH later than 1956.  Either the FP started in 1956 or the HH ended in 1957.  The latest I've seen FPs was made in 1961, about the time the Empress came out.  Some consider the FP the last of the great Royals.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-2-2017 19:58:39  #1124

Correction: 1962

I was looking at the portable serial numbers and did not realize they ran in parallel with the standards but out of synch by year (they were interleaved and standards were running through their allotment faster?)  More plausible - the design does not seem quite up to happening 1968.

02-2-2017 21:11:50  #1125

1962 sounds right.  The 1968 Royals in the upright category were the 440s.  In my opinion, they're all right machines, but they're not the machines the FPs are.  If you really want to know the truth, I haven't found too many typewriters made in 1968 that I like.  It's a shame, because that was the year I was born.  If I could find out about a few Smith-Coronas I own, they don't seem to have any records past 1964 as of yet on the Database.  I had an IBM Executive made that year, but that one folded up on me, as did most of the Model D typewriters IBM made.  I hear the last Underwood upright manual was made in 1968, but other sources say 1963, so I'm not too sure.  Remington made a machine that had an incredible touch, but the plastic body reminds me of a huge Tupperware dish.  I guess a case could be made for Olympia, Adler, and maybe a few others I haven't heard of as of yet.  If I find a 1968 typewriter that I know to be a 1968, and if I can appreciate it with any degree at all, I'm keepin' that sucker!

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

02-2-2017 21:46:15  #1126

I love mine. Love it. It's not a glamourpuss, but it types like a champ.

02-2-2017 22:25:45  #1127

I'd love to try the FP. I have two of the 440s and they're really pretty good. However, I like much better the "deep" keys of the FP to the thinner keys that the 440s have -- something about the thicker keys seems to be more forgiving of somewhat imprecise finger placement (a problem of mine). But for some reason the thinner, metal-edged keys of the KMM and KHM, for instance, work OK for me. The FP is a nice looker, too -- the keystone red Royal badge and the patterned metal front are nice touches.

02-2-2017 23:10:33  #1128

I think I am going to love this machine. As you said you said no fashion model though the emblem is a nice touch, but a few single spaced pages of elite later seems like a workhorse and tolerant of short speed bursts without piling up typebars.

Nobody mentioned the Empress, between the FP and 440.  I've never given mine a decent trial, I mean my two... or was it three?    Ooh boy. After the novelty of the design wears off it seems bloated. Nothing to do with the typing but does not give the feeling that form follows function - more like form follows the Jetsons. After the FP I'm not even sure I want to bother with it - best quit while you are ahead.

02-2-2017 23:20:20  #1129

Love the FP, there are so many little design touches that make it stant out, but I might like the Empress just a bit more. However, what makes you think that the platen is original? Swapping out the platen was once a very common practice as part of regular maintenance, and a 30 year-old platen can be just as hard as one twice its age.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-2-2017 05:57:48  #1130

You are right, of course.  The machine just looked like it had been put away barely used,  but may have been in service longer.  So maybe it's only a forty year old platen.

Now I want to know why you like the Empress better.  Mind you I am getting to the stage where "as good as any" is good enough, or good enough for me.  Those phrases seem lackluster but embody practical philosophy. The perfect is the enemy of the good!

Board footera