You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2017 14:11:16  #1131

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I own more than one of each model, and have used several more, and found a consistency in my comparison of them. From a practical, albeit still subjective analysis, I prefer the Empress' type action because it's slightly lighter and more responsive. However, when applying your good enough standard to the equation, it's a case of splitting hairs; both models are nice to type with and get the job done with nearly equal aplomb.

I still recall the first time I saw a FP, and how I had thought it to be one of the ugliest typewriters that I had ever seen, which of course meant I had to buy one (there's no point in owning pretty machines when you can't juxtapose them with more vulgar examples). Time spent using and studying the FP had a dramatic effect on my perspective of it; not only does it type very well, I now think it's a wonderful design, but only because of its exquisite subtleties. In contrast, the Empress is an audacious typewriter. It's big, curvaceous, and organic, which means its name is fitting: there is an aura of royalty about the typewriter that seems to demand fealty of its typist.

The Empress is also more delicate, which is not a good thing and brings us back to the subject of practicality: If I had to select one machine for its robustness and ability to withstand the rigors of professional typing assignments, the FP would get the nod.The reality is though that very few contemporary model comparisons limit themselves to a critique of performance. There are myriad reasons, often wildly subjective ones, which current buyers use to base their purchasing decisions on. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2017 17:13:07  #1132

Uwe wrote:

I still recall the first time I saw a FP, and how I had thought it to be one of the ugliest typewriters that I had ever seen, which of course meant I had to buy one

​Aw, I quite like the design of the FP... When I first saw it, I thought it was a nice, soft design with more subtle curves than the previous KMM/KMG design. As striking as the Empress design is, I think it's too much. Don't get me wrong, I love nice curves, but it's just a bit too bold for me. Just goes to show how different typewriter collectors are in terms of what they prefer.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

06-2-2017 18:06:04  #1133

No fear, the FP has long since won me over and I no longer consider it ugly. I'm still looking for a FP-S to complete my small sub-collection of the model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2017 19:14:54  #1134

Uwe wrote:

No fear, the FP has long since won me over and I no longer consider it ugly. I'm still looking for a FP-S to complete my small sub-collection of the model.

I have one in a very sad state following shipping by a thoughtless person but I'm still hoping I might be able to graft enough parts onto it from a donor machine to get it working. Someday.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-2-2017 02:03:33  #1135

Wow! thanks Repartee, you have shown me with the picture of your nice Royal FP, that it is also the very model that was my Grandfathers and, that now sits in a place of honor on my desk.
G pa put a lot of miles on this machine, with everything from correspondence and billing from several decades of a thriving country vet practice to recording and publishing our families genealogical history.
It does need a little cleaning and attention but, still stands at the ready in amongst all the Underwoods and  Smith Coronas that crowd around for my attention. 

11-2-2017 09:15:27  #1136

Just today I was able to acquire this, an Olympia SM9 from 1969. 
Although not the superdeluxe model (paperrest is a basic one, and manual tabs), it does work very well:

11-2-2017 14:53:36  #1137

I.den wrote:

Just today I was able to acquire this, an Olympia SM9 from 1969

Congratulations, it looks like a fine machine and one with an interesting keyboard, but it's not a SM9. What you have is a SM8. 

11-2-2017 18:13:14  #1138

My $30 Thrift find. Smith Corona Classic 12 in italics. See post below, wherein I mis-spell "Italics" but you get to see the type face.

I can't seem to get it to single-space. It will double and triple, but not single. Other than that--love it.

11-2-2017 18:14:19  #1139

As promised--the type face.

11-2-2017 18:17:59  #1140

Another find today: a Sears Citation. Haven't yet looked up serial number for date. It works like a charm, although very dirty inside. It will go directly to my middle-school classroom where my students will have a ball with it.

Board footera