You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-5-2014 22:30:15  #111

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Nice solid machine - great for working with - and at a decent price. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-5-2014 23:07:39  #112

Uwe wrote:

Nice solid machine - great for working with - and at a decent price. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I was told I needed to get a new ribbon for it, but after typing a quarter of a page and tightening the spool up I came to the parts of the ribbon that have not been exposed to the air to dry for a long time, and It is fully working.  

Also, after typing a page on a old fashioned manual typewriter, I now know why Hemingway was a manley man. I was (nicely) shocked on how much effort it takes to slam those keys down to get a good imprint on the paper.  It has a completely alternate feel then writing with a computer or even a IBM Electric typewriter.  The most important thing is that it was a lot of fun and I suspect that I will be noodling a lot on this one to put ideas on paper. 

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

21-5-2014 23:25:42  #113

Have you tried adjusting the touch control at the left (L M H) ? You may find that you don't need to exert as much effort as you think. The touch control on a machine like that Classic 12 may be fairly responsive, unlike some other machines where the adjustment is subtle or unnoticeable...

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

22-5-2014 00:31:21  #114

Valiant wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the touch control at the left (L M H) ? You may find that you don't need to exert as much effort as you think. The touch control on a machine like that Classic 12 may be fairly responsive, unlike some other machines where the adjustment is subtle or unnoticeable...

Will try that out over the weekend.  

Appologies for any spelling errors or grammer mistakes I have in my writing, I use typewriters to break my lazy habits and to send my dysgraphia off a cliff.

22-5-2014 06:07:44  #115

Zedwardson wrote:

Uwe wrote:

............. I was (nicely) shocked on how much effort it takes to slam those keys down to get a good imprint on the paper.  ...................

Hi
Sounds to me as though the machine needs a clean or a new ribbon; it should not require hammering on the keys to get a fuly readable pint, though something more than a computer keyboard, of course.  One shoud be able to type quickly and reasonable lightly.

Have been intrigued by this machine for a while - may get one - one day.

Sincerely,
beak.

23-5-2014 04:48:36  #116

I have one of these, in gold. The typing action is quick and light with a cool "snap" feeling.

23-5-2014 09:05:25  #117

I had some of the settings wrong on the Typewriter, and since I changed them, the typewriter has a much improved action.  Thanks for the hints.   It may very well need a cleaning and a new ribbon anyways as I plan to use it as a working typewriter.   

30-5-2014 13:27:52  #118

My most recent acquisition was a wedding present from my father (does a present still count as an acquisition, or do you have to actively acquire ie. buy it?), an Arabic Olivetti he brought from Kuwait.  One key missing but should still be useful, I mainly use my typewriters for making artwork so a nice cursive script should be nice for a change.  Just the spool nuts were missing (I think that's what they're called), but since retiring my stepfather has been fixing old clocks and loves machining small components on his watch maker's lathe, so I've given him the job of fashioning two new ones...

"...as if you could kill time without injuring eternity".

09-6-2014 07:22:58  #119

Found a somewhat rusty Hermes Baby a couple of months ago, and got to bring it home from the typewriter hospital this weekend. Now it's all clean and beautiful:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DpLC5DnyQz0/U4uXnG0sftI/AAAAAAAACIU/YtU9Z2wOYTs/s1600/024.JPG

09-6-2014 07:49:07  #120

Congratulations on your.new Baby! Looks great, how is it working? I also have a new Baby, found at a local flea market a few weeks back. It is a later model, in green with green keys. Problem with it is the right hand carriage release lever is missing, which can make typing a little bit cumbersome, but otherwise works great. It needs some cleaning; I will post photos once completed.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera