You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-3-2017 12:37:09  #1191

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

pdxtypewriter wrote:

I can't find info on this--I'm missing it somehow in the TW DB. Anybody know about these?

There are many, many models that are missing from the Database, and when you consider that Brother was prolific in the creation of different model names, it's not surprising that a number of them have yet to be featured in owners' galleries.

I have the Prestige 710, and a private label version of the 720 manufactured for Montgomery Ward, and consider both models to be decent portables. I haven't yet dived into the myriad nuances of Brother model names and feature sets, and can only offer a few guesses as to what the differences are between the 710 and 720. Both machines have keyboard set tab stops, so it could be that the only differences are that the 710 features a traditional lever instead of the push-button ribbon colour selector found on the 720, and that the 720 has a paper injector mechanism, and possibly a wider carriage. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-3-2017 13:03:50  #1192

My model seems to be missing the paper bail. I'm not sure whether it ever hadone, if so I don't see where it would attach.

06-3-2017 23:09:56  #1193

My newest acquisition:  Oliver No. 5  

Last edited by Uwe (07-3-2017 11:11:47)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-3-2017 23:10:59  #1194

Well crud.  That didn't work.

07-3-2017 03:56:22  #1195

My latest is this little beauty: 1957 Royal Quiet De Luxe, serial AE3725478 with the tan crinkle paint (which looks like a rosy pink) and lovely cream keys. I paid a fortune to have it shipped from the US but it was totally worth it. She’s a beauty, just needs a good clean, mainly on the outside. The internals are very clean and it looks like it was stored in its case a lot, so that’s good. Types well although there is an issue with the backspace which is apparently a symptom of a different escapement issue. Trying to figure that out now.

I have already been through the process of cleaning up an older grey model’s crinkle paint so I’m pretty confident I can get all the ink stains off.

07-3-2017 11:14:13  #1196

colrehogan wrote:

Well crud.  That didn't work.

Fixed the link for you. If you want to use photos that you've uploaded to the Database, just right click on the image and click on "copy image address," and use then paste that into the Insert Image box in a post here. (As an aside, I would recommend deselecting the watermark option when you upload photos to the Database as they often obscure the view of the typewriter). 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-3-2017 18:18:18  #1197

How's this again for pictures?  Things have changed since the FAQ's were published.  Photobucket charges a subscription, and Flickr is Yahoo owned with bells and whistles and the image links don't have the .jpg suffix.  Signed Digitally Dumbfounded

07-3-2017 19:10:58  #1198

[img]IMG_1666 by greg riutzel, on Flickr[/img]

07-3-2017 21:16:53  #1199

Thanks Uwe!

08-3-2017 01:00:40  #1200

Great looking machines, everyone! Fun to see what you've stumbled upon.

Board footera