You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2017 19:01:41  #1231

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Oh dear.... Come back, pdxtypewriter!

19-3-2017 20:01:46  #1232

Not good.

20-3-2017 02:51:25  #1233

Uwe, good to know about the two years thing, but literally - & I've done searches many times before - this is the first time I've ever seen one of these come up as listed for sale. (Likewise, the Piccola, Tom Lucas said it was the first one he had ever seen in 40 years.) This guy has two - we discussed typefaces but not which one the paintwork is chipped on.

If it hadn't been reduced - that is, if it had been 33% more - I wouldn't have considered it. And I haven't stretched myself financially YET... Maybe adorable little Swissas will start springing out of the woodwork now, who knows? That would be a fun thing. I do have a good friend who lives in Basel but I think he'd be no judge of a typewriter, and anyway he has three kids - I can hardly send him round the flea markets for me.

As for the guy selling it, yes I know he sells for high pries on Etsy. We alos had a very nice exchange of emails and talked about other things too, eg my
Princess that needs fixing, and he did offer to see if he could help out when I come back to that ilttle problem...

I understand your caution - and I think you know I'm not someone to splash money around like a tourist.

20-3-2017 13:56:15  #1234

Kat, I was just trying to be helpful, but you've obviously done your homework. I'm all too familiar with stretching a typewriter budget on a writer's salary, which is why I almost never look at models that are in the three digit price range. If I can make one final suggestion it would be to reach out to Georg. He's a super-nice guy and a very knowledgeable collector based in Switzerland. He's helped me in the past to find a specific machine, and maybe he can arrange a better deal for you. Here's one of his Swissa webpages if you haven't seen it already, and you'll find his contact info through it as well. Good luck! 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-3-2017 09:42:38  #1235

Thanks for that, Uwe - I know you were! Hence my explanation of the homework... and you're right, it will be 3 figs once there's postage involved. I've seen Georg's page of course, but hadn't thought to get in touch with him... and I've just found out that two lots of money I'm waiting for are going to be a couple of weeks later than I'd hoped, too. So this is all future/hypothetical/displacement stuff! Erghh. 

22-3-2017 08:40:46  #1236

Attention Uwe! Talk about a CHEAP typewriter!

This morning I won - I say 'won', as if I'd been up against avid counter-bidders - the shittiest, most knackered-looking Lexikon 80 I've ever clapped my eyes on, for the princely sum of 99p, for the simple reason that it's in another part of north London and I can take a wheelie suitcase and go get it. It could be a gem, merely smirched with the dust of ages, or it could be a broken old heap. It could even be like that Royal HH fiasco but that one was £12 and had pretensions.

What I DO know is that it has all its keytops; the paper feed's been disengaged which might be a good sign for unflattened rollers; and it's missing its little logo strip. No pics with the ribbon cover off or anything.
I guess we'll find out!  

22-3-2017 10:17:47  #1237

Pictures please! I'm chuckling at the price. You think a wheelie suitcase is big (deep) enough? I am envious -- those are quite dramatic looking things.

22-3-2017 10:40:29  #1238

KatLondon wrote:

Talk about a CHEAP typewriter!

That's more my speed! Good job - you won't regret it no matter what condition it's in. The Lexikon 80 is design icon, and I can't believe that I'm typing this, but it's worth having having if only for use as a display piece. It's actually a rubbish typer*, but the mediocre performance is forgiven because it's just such a sexy sight on a desk. Can't wait to read more about your Lexikon experience!

*Results may vary. Some people have been known to actually like the Studio 44 and might also like the Lexikon 80 too. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2017 10:47:09  #1239

Hi Fleetwing. Here's the eBay listing. It won't be the first 99p typewriter I've had; I think just being fearless and not afraid of dirt helps. And confident that you can fix most things. I'm also a person who can walk into a room and see the potential...

Anyway, for less than a coffee I get to have a trip across town, meet a nice person, mess about with a Lexikon, and then, who knows, sell a Lexikon. It's all entertainment, innit. Even the dreaded Royal HH I sold for £6, to a woman who didn't hate it nearly as much as I did.

24-3-2017 22:21:20  #1240

A long awaited gift from a family friend arrived today. A 1912 L.C. Smith 5.
There is a large chunk missing from the platen so it will not be typing anytime soon. 
I am thinking of sending it to JJ Short or doing the heat shrink.

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera