You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-4-2017 10:07:47  #1261

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

It's love, I tell you. 

01-4-2017 10:11:30  #1262

It could still do with a bit of a top-up clean and polish; there is still dust falling out even though I spent THREE DAYS cleaning everything I could find over and over. But it's love. And here, as per my Facebook, is the story of how I got this typewriter:"After spending months watching pristine princess-like ones of this wonderful machine get away from me because they were in Blackpool (the blue one) or Anglesey, and are too heavy and delicate to ship safely, or were overpriced, I saw this unprepossessing, dusty, unloved, quite possibly broken object listed in N London with a start price of 99p. Because I don't mind cleaning up filthy things, and know how to do some repairs, and really wanted one, I took the punt. Went to the place (Kilburn) to collect it. The story is a bit surreal but the seller wasn't in, and her house - all modern renovations, white, taupe, and money - was being used as the scene of a casting call for models. Scores of giraffe-like teenage girls were stretched [sic] down the front path & along the pavement (black bomber jackets, skinny jeans like spaghetti, Elle tote bags) and were everywhere lounging all knees and elbows against everything inside... No one knew the house number except the girl sitting in the actual open doorway, who could look up and see it.So I dragged my wheelie suitcase into a stupendously bland and rich kitchen and into the shiny sitting room off it (which felt odd having just walked in through an open front door) where a thin, blonde, caftan-wearing woman trilled, 'Oh! Are you here for the typewriter?' It was on the 8-ft-long kitchen table. Filthy, grubby, and utterly adorable. 'You got it for 99p, didn't you!?' I offered her the ritual pound coin but she waved it aside with a merry laugh. (Phew. I bought my lunch with it in the Sainsbury's local next to Brondesbury station.) I was half the height of anyone in that house and completely spherical by comparison. Put the Lexikon into the case, wrapped in towels, and lugged it home. Two kind men - for the record, both poor, one Muslim, and one homeless-looking with a carrier bag full of jigsaw puzzles - carried it up the station stairs for me, one at each end.Anyway, OMG was it filthy. I've never seen the like. Inside it, as well as piles of brown filthy dust, were a dead spider and a 1951 sixpence. The logo decal was missing so I've made it a new one out of a yellow index card. It still needs a bit of polishing and the platen will need re-covering at some point, but I really love it."

01-4-2017 10:18:58  #1263

For you to print.

Sincerely,
beak.

01-4-2017 10:19:42  #1264

Sorry, that had paragraph breaks originally... 

01-4-2017 15:08:02  #1265

Kat, I wish I had your luck! Around here on Craigslist are Underwood 5 machines that are absolutely filthy and people want $200 for them.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

01-4-2017 15:52:58  #1266

My mistake on the interchangeable type for the RR model 5 Deluxe
What I thought at first glance was something that quickly pulled off on snapped back on was certainly not the case upon closer inspection.
I suppose one could see the type slugs as somewhat interchangeable if one were to de-solder the old and exchange for the new but, that's not what I thought I had.
Still it is a nice little machine and I was able to figure out how to set the margins with the help of Mr. Polt's website.
You are correct, the margin stops are behind a fold panel, under the paper table.

HABD !!

01-4-2017 16:32:28  #1267

Super giddy. I bought my first Hammond today. Or should I say, I had a friend buy it on my behalf.

Problem is--it is 800 miles away, and I probably won't get my hands on it for two to three months, but I'm still over the moon. 

01-4-2017 22:46:10  #1268

1948 Remington Rand KMC with a 46-key, scientific/mathematical keyboard and long carriage. Got it from ebay back in February and it took me some time to get used to it, but it is a good machine overall. The extra keys on the right side of the keyboard cause you to reach further for the shift key then normal.
Please see the link to see close ups of the the full keyboard and extra keys: http://typewriterdatabase.com/1948-remington-kmc.7372.typewriter

02-4-2017 17:54:18  #1269

Good score on the KMC!  I have never seen a standard with math symbols.  That is truly unique.  As to the key action, you are correct. I've been told by an older gentleman who was a Remington trained repairman, who also owned a couple of businesses that sold typewriters, that Remingtons tended to have what he described as a "heavy key action".  I've been on the lookout for another Model 17 for some time, and I commented to him why the Remingtons seemed rare compared to Royals, Underwoods, and L.C. Smiths.  He said that people preferred the others over Remington for their ease of typing.  He explained that he never had a problem meeting company quotas on sales of Royals or the Smiths.  I also agree the shift keys are far out there.  I measured them to the other standards I have, and Remington definitely has the longer reach for shifting.

02-4-2017 18:06:42  #1270

CoronaJoe wrote:

Good score on the KMC!  I have never seen a standard with math symbols.  That is truly unique.  As to the key action, you are correct. I've been told by an older gentleman who was a Remington trained repairman, who also owned a couple of businesses that sold typewriters, that Remingtons tended to have what he described as a "heavy key action".  I've been on the lookout for another Model 17 for some time, and I commented to him why the Remingtons seemed rare compared to Royals, Underwoods, and L.C. Smiths.  He said that people preferred the others over Remington for their ease of typing.  He explained that he never had a problem meeting company quotas on sales of Royals or the Smiths.  I also agree the shift keys are far out there.  I measured them to the other standards I have, and Remington definitely has the longer reach for shifting.

CoronaJoe, thank you for your comment. Most of the Remingtons I have had I had a hard time getting used to them. The only Remingtons I have really enjoyed using are my portables. But the KMC is one Remington I have gotten used to.

Board footera