You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-4-2017 19:33:41  #1281

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Thanks, CoronaJoe. I did a few pages on that Royal 10 today. The margin release is a bit temperamental, but I know what the issue is. It prints nicely, but it's loud! The frequency of the type slug hit is just the right pitch and decibel level to provoke a headache. Three sheets of paper and it doesn't matter. I need to wear earplugs. I had a Smith Corona Classic 12 that was the same way.

On to the latest. A Skyriter! This is my first one of these and I'm smitten. So snappy, so petite. And it's so polite. It just wants to churn page after page.

Very clean. I love how the carriage tilts back to shift. It makes it light and fast. The key action is snappy, quick, and assured.

I like my Lettera 32 and both of my 22s, but this Skyriter is now the go-to typewriter for sitting out on the deck and writing pages.

18-4-2017 20:07:58  #1282

Recently, I bought a 1924 LC Smith No. 8 that has later model front and side plates in place, making an originally open machine semi-closed, as the back as no panel. The front one, along with the side ones on the inside, have the green used on the Secretarial models.
You can even tell that it was an open machine by the backspace and ribbon keys.
My theory is that it could have been rebuilt, or someone just decided to put them in place. I would like to hear some other opinions though. What are everyone's thoughts on this machine?​
http://typewriterdatabase.com/1924-lc-smith-8.7559.typewriter

18-4-2017 20:09:55  #1283

I forgot to put that the serial number is 548028 - 8, and is located in back of the front panel.

18-4-2017 20:51:41  #1284

Interesting keyboard.  One of mine is a later model than yours, a 1928, #826725,
and you see that it has all white keys, including the decimal tabulator keys.  Panels are on all sides.
The other one that I have is an earlier model, a 1921, #441670-8

and it has the open panels and all black keys.

Yours falls in between these two models serial number wise. 

Nice machine, btw!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-4-2017 07:08:54  #1285

Hi colrehogan,
thank you for your comment.
Your machines are nice too!

19-4-2017 23:23:30  #1286

First typewriter I've ever bought, guess I shouldn't be surprised Its got some issues.
1937 Remington 5 streamlined. a little dirty, some minor rust/patina on some parts but not all. a few small chips in the paint. It has two right side ribbon spools, but they still work just fine. All the keys work, all the functions seem to operate properly, I even typed a line of text with the dried out old ribbon, much to my surprise.

Wasn't until I got home that I realized it didnt have a line control lever *facepalm*, hoping that is something that can be fixed.

Brought her home from a woman who was cleaning out her late mother's storage unit, for $40.

In my wildly ignorant assessment, seems like all she needs is a good cleaning, a new ribbon, recovered platen/rollers (they are hard as glass and have flat spots), and if possible a replacement line control lever, and she'll be up and running like the day she was made.

20-4-2017 09:03:42  #1287

Congratulations, CrazyViking! It's a good looking machine there, no doubt, and a good price for it. The streamlined Remington 5 was my first one, too

20-4-2017 09:10:52  #1288

Months ago, I promised my longtime book editor that I'd fix-up an old typewriter as a gift to him. Ever since, I've been on the lookout for a unique machine that isn't a behemoth like many of my standards. Lo and behold: today this burgundy/maroon 1935 Corona Sterling falls into my lap for all of $20. The insides need to be cleaned, and the platen is kind of pock marked, but otherwise, it shines up really nicely--here at the foot of Baron von Steuben at Valley Forge for no discernible reason. 

20-4-2017 12:11:28  #1289

Thanks Mark, Ill have to get her actually cleaned up and post some glamor pics like that beautiful Corona of yours, that is a very pleasing maroon paint job its wrapped up in.

22-4-2017 18:19:20  #1290

My aunt got this for free from a guy who didn't want it anymore. It smells of cigarette smoke, weighs about 200 pounds and is absolutely filthy. Yay!

Board footera