You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2014 11:00:13  #121

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

The Baby is working really well -- Tom at Cambridge Typewriter really went over it. I had wanted one of the gray older ones, not for any technical reason, just because somehow that Hermes seafoam green color bugs me.  

10-6-2014 00:49:27  #122

JanetLand wrote:

Found a somewhat rusty Hermes Baby a couple of months ago, and got to bring it home from the typewriter hospital this weekend. 

Would you mind mentioning the cost of the service? Was it just a thorough cleaning or did the machine require other work as well? I'm trying to get a feel for what such services cost. Thanks, and enjoy the new Baby!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-6-2014 00:51:44  #123

Valiant wrote:

the right hand carriage release lever is missing, which can make typing a little bit cumbersome,

I don't recall you mentioning that. That's something I think we should get fixed up for you!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-6-2014 06:59:21  #124

Uwe -- it generally costs me around $85 (U.S.) to have a portable cleaned and repaired (not counting travel). The only thing really wrong with the Hermes Baby, besides dirt and rust, was that the carriage return didn't work. The price also included a new ribbon. 

Because I'm no good at fixing/cleaning typewriters myself, when I contemplate buying one I have to factor in the cleaning and repair costs. Which is good, because it keeps me from grabbing every machine I see. 

10-6-2014 14:38:53  #125

JanetLand wrote:

It generally costs me around $85 (U.S.) to have a portable cleaned and repaired (not counting travel).

Wow, that seems very reasonable. Even though I'm sure that the repair was something simple, I don't understand how they make any money when you factor in how long it takes to properly clean a typewriter. A new ribbon is a nice touch.

02-7-2014 07:40:17  #126

My second Alpina SK24.  An earlier model than the other (ca. 1956), but virtually identical in features and operation.  It has a very good paper bale!  Needs internal cleaning, so I'll leave any other comments until that is done.

Last edited by beak (02-7-2014 07:43:01)

Sincerely,
beak.

02-7-2014 07:48:31  #127

That's a lovely looking machine.

02-7-2014 08:47:41  #128

Thanks.  Colour is a really good sage green - not well shown in this hasty snap.

Discovered that this early model has no touch control (that I can find!), and since the action is a little heavier than I like, I was wondering if anyone knows how to lighten the action of such a machine in the absence of a touch control.  I have, of course, already cleaned the section and all the typebar hinges.

The quality of build and finish of this Alpina is startling - a cross between a Swiss watch and a German Tiger tank.

Last edited by beak (02-7-2014 10:37:17)

Sincerely,
beak.

04-7-2014 08:39:38  #129

As I mentioned in the New Member Thread before being so lovingly shooed out by Uwe, I am new to typewriters and have been keeping my eye out for my first. On Wednesday, I was wandering through thrift and charity shops in Bristol when I caught sight of a maroon Olympia SM2 in good condition and complete with case. However, I decided against purchasing it as it was £30 and I was unsure whether I was ready to pull the trigger.

With some further thought, I changed my mind and decided that I did indeed want to purchase it. Today I returned to the shop with that intention and immediately headed to where I had seen it on Wednesday. Much to my dismay, it wasn't there! I felt a pang of panic and my heart sunk as I started searching around the shop for it, hoping that it had merely been moved and not purchase. After ten minutes of searching (while trying to appear like I was just browsing), I had just about given up hope. But then, there it was! On display in the shop window.

The fellows running the shop brought it down for me. They assured me that it was in excellent working condition, even providing me with paper and pointing to the different features. I ooh'd and aah'd as if I didn't already know that you could toggle between black and red ink. The machine does type decently, though it will need some work, and it is a little dirtier than I first realised. It's only surface grime, though, no rust or anything. In the end, I was happy to pay the £30 for it.

Excitedly, I carried it home. As a portable, it wasn't overly heavy. Apart from some dirt and frayed corners, the case is in good condition and held up admirably on the 1.5 mile walk.

Here are some photos:

As you can see, it is indeed an SM2. The serial number is 119606, making it a 1951 model. The machine appears to have been sold by "Sare, Hyrons & Co." of Wembley, as that is what is painted on the front. It also has an incredible wealth of fraction keys: 1/4, 3/4, 1/8, 3/8, 5/8, 7/8, 1/2.

The ribbon is old and inconsitent, but here's a sample of the type:

In terms of condition, it is really quite dirty, especially on the underside. Lots of dust, lint, and some tobacco staining. There are a few scratches I didn't notice originally, but nothing major. All the keys work, as does the bell. The platen is still rubbery, though it looks like its been typed on recently, most likely in the shop.

Now to clean it up.

04-7-2014 11:57:05  #130

Great machine - one of the best portables actually -  and well worth what you paid for it. Enjoy!

Board footera