You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2017 15:39:52  #1391

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

schyllerwade wrote:

Just realized this has the DOUBLE CAPS type slugs...hmmmm

So both upper case and lower case are the same (for the letters, that is)? Does that make this a "mill" for transcribing radio messages? I'm curious what the purpose of the short vertical line character is, such as at the end of the third line in your typing sample. 

24-7-2017 15:55:09  #1392

Yeah I was definitely happy to pick it up because it seems like it's in really good condition but I just can't get some of the keys to unstick. The more I watch them with denatured alcohol the worst they seem to become. I'm not sure what the issue is but I hope to get it up and running soon…

And yeah, the uppercase and lowercase positions on the slug both have capitalized letters. I heard someone mention it somewhere but I don't know, to be honest I would rather have the regular  type slugs but I didn't even think to look. Lesson learned other for $20 I probably would've bought it all the same.

The short vertical lines are stumping me too, there are actually three or four keys that only have those lines. It's a strange machine to be sure.  I've never heard the term 'mill' used  before but I'm definitely a newcomer to all this so could be...ill google

24-7-2017 17:40:34  #1393

I highly doubt that it's a mill, not with that character set. It looks to be the Olympia 'Capitals' typeface, which was intended for accounting use and explains the 'special' characters. Of course it would be nice to see a complete type sample using this format with lowercase on one row and uppercase directly below it:

Also, each type slug will have a number stamped on it. The number will tell us which typeface it actually is and help to steer us in the direction of its intended use.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2017 18:15:03  #1394

Olympia Capitals has no lower case, and it does look like that. I'd like to see the full character set for Capitals to figure out what some of the odder symbols are (or maybe there's an accountant out there who can clarify?).

24-7-2017 19:41:30  #1395

OK pictures in just a minute
Also I see that there is a 7.6 engraved in red to the left of the de luxe engraving on the basket

24-7-2017 19:46:41  #1396

24-7-2017 20:02:12  #1397

The 95 confirms what Uwe and others said: It is Olympia Capitals No. 95. You can view the NOMDA Blue Book entry here.

24-7-2017 20:18:17  #1398

Interesting

31-7-2017 13:49:15  #1399

I haven't brought it home yet,  but I went ahead and purchased the Olympia SG-3 from Craigslist for  $30.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

31-7-2017 16:17:29  #1400

Excellent! Maybe it's the Congress typeface -- but regardless, I think you'll love it.

Yesterday I got a 1929 Royal P portable, in the orange-reddish "fade" color scheme. Very pretty and in nice cosmetic shape -- no case. Typing action is good. Main problem I see is that the feed roller has a couple of flat spots that make using the line spacing lever rather difficult, and the spacing can be irregular. I will see if judicious use of emery cloth can round it out some. Also, the platen probably should be re-covered; the slugs have bitten into it rather significantly in places, almost as if the rubber had been softened and then someone typed on it. I reckon a backing sheet is called for. If I can figure out how to remove the platen and feed roller, maybe I will send them out.

Finally, the feet are in bad shape -- the bolts hold each foot in place, but barely, since the rubber is so old and crumbly. The feet are of an odd design, which I guess fits into the case bottom. 

In any event, a sweet little typewriter, for $25. Hard to believe it's almost 90 years old.

Board footera