You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2017 08:30:09  #1401

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

That didn't work...
this just arrived 

01-8-2017 10:41:20  #1402

The Kolibri! First impressions on it?

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

01-8-2017 11:05:45  #1403

Well javi mine is not in great condition, in fact it has a lot of rust of beNeath the keys
Overall it seems to function OK with the exception of sticky keys
An initial application of denatured alcohol did not help, today I'm going to try some CLR for the rust and perhaps some paint thinner in the segment to see if I can cleaned out a little better.

It is really cool it doesn't seem to have the carriage rattle, nor the characteristic scrapes on the top of the ribbon cover. Overall it seems pretty tight and lightly used other than the fact that it seems to have been abandoned  for many years. The case is in good condition and everything latches including the side snaps so I hope to be able to get it running.

What's the deal with the paper support is there a button, or is it always that hard to move from the bottom position to the upright position?

01-8-2017 11:06:11  #1404

I also just picked this up

01-8-2017 12:27:44  #1405

You have opposite ends of the size spectrum there! Very interested to hear your impressions of the Hermes.

01-8-2017 13:41:32  #1406

Fleetwing wrote:

You have opposite ends of the size spectrum there! Very interested to hear your impressions of the Hermes.

Totally agree!!! This looks a lot like my Hermes 9 (which is not operative right now) so any feedback is welcome.

Well, what you say about the paper support seems to be part of the cause of a common Kolibri issue: missing paper arm. If it isn't too willing to move maybe it can break off if pushed too hard.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

01-8-2017 14:11:39  #1407

Oh the  ambassador is fantastic, very smooth, fully operational. I  didn't like the Hermes  3000 that I had but I am a huge fan of the ambassador and I think I'm going to replace the platen, because at the moment it is just about breaking through paper. Even if I use two sheets of paper, typing a period or comma, or colon is almost like a rivet and I have to peel the pieces of paper apart when I take them out of the machine. 

it's definitely a machine worth having I do plan on keeping it. It's funny all the machines that I pick up for $20 are very cooperative, but the more I pay for a machine it seems like the more problems I run into trying to get it up and running .

i'm really getting frustrated I can almost see the appeal of just dunking these machines in a bucket of WD-40. I've used paint thinner and mineral spirits and denatured alcohol and I can't get this Kolibri to type...

01-8-2017 15:44:46  #1408

schyllerwade wrote:

i'm really getting frustrated I can almost see the appeal of just dunking these machines in a bucket of WD-40. I've used paint thinner and mineral spirits and denatured alcohol and I can't get this Kolibri to type...

Be patient! Trust me, I've felt exactly the same as you a million times, and I bet it's just like every typewriter enthusiast in the world. I have a small army of typewriters, and maybe only a third of them performed well as they came. Another third needed time and care (and a lot of patience), and the other third... That's the "annihilated during shiping" part, the "hopeless rust bucket" section and those I can't repair on my own. The Silenta is a great example of that.

And then there's the Antares S20 I almost destroyed by dismantling it and then not being able to put it back together Correctly. But the best example is my Atlantida Style. It was sluggish, sticky keys, groaning carriage... Everything refused to move properly. What did I do? Soaking it in 3 en 1, which is the Spanish commercial name of WD-40. Result? Everything stickier than before. I had to clean EVERYTHING, and that meant  taking out the rust, grime and the WD-40 which had aglutinated it all and deposited it in every moving part, spending way more time than if I had cleaned it before choking it.

Your position is absolutely understandable and I really share it, but remember that a well looked after typewriter will be there for you forever. Give it some time and the machine will return it tenfold. Take it as a challenge, every stubborn typewriter teaches a lesson about its mechanics. 

(Olivetti Linea 98)

01-8-2017 15:49:47  #1409

And of course, you can then go with these lessons and hit the next stubborn typewiter in the face (or wherever) with them. Its soooooo satisfying!!!

It's a coarse way of putting it, but that's the point: there's something to learn in every typewriter and there's always a reward. Enjoy the ride!

(Olivetti Linea 98)

01-8-2017 15:55:52  #1410

3 en 1 = WD40? Interesting -- here in the Estados Unidos there is a product called 3 in 1 Oil -- it's been around forever and while it may be a little heavy for a lot of typewriter uses, it works well to penetrate rust (including freeing up stubborn margin stops). 

Board footera