You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2017 13:31:58  #1481

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

gnuyork wrote:

OK. I used 1/4 inch flat washers... which was a recommendation from a blog link in one of these threads. At least it's easy and inexpensive to swapo...I found that I could barely get the screwdriver in the slot though..very thin slot.

Internet recommendations are often approximations and there is often variation among the things that are being referenced. As Chico Marx asked, "Who you gonna believe---me or your own eyes?" Did you use rubber washers (recommended for noise isolation) or metal ones? Is there enough thread available on the screws so that you can mount a thicker washer that will solve the problem?

If your screwdriver won't fit the screw slot, then you're using the wrong screwdriver. Get a proper machinist's screwdriver or at least file yours down so it fits. Don't risk munging the screw slot---it's ugly, it'll make future repairs more difficult, and it'll make you look bad to the next owner.

19-10-2017 21:10:03  #1482

Yes, I used rubber flat washers, the kind used to fit into a hose. I will look into machinist screwdrivers... Where is a good source for those?

19-10-2017 22:14:16  #1483

I use hollow ground screwdriver bits. Hollow ground sets are used a lot in gunsmithing. I purchased mine from Brownells. I am not saying Brownells is the best, but it seemed to be a good option within my budget. Switching from normal tapered screwdrivers to hollow ground has helped me a lot to reduce stripping issues.

19-10-2017 23:33:16  #1484

gnuyork wrote:

Yes, I used rubber flat washers, the kind used to fit into a hose. I will look into machinist screwdrivers... Where is a good source for those?

The kind that fits into a hose? With like a 5/8 inch hole in the center? With a hole that big they'll squash quite a lot and may not give you the spacing that you expect. Try a hard rubber washer with a hole that more closely fits the screw.

Start at your local hardware store and if they don't have and won't order hollow-ground machinist's screwdrivers, maybe they can recommend a place. Gunsmithing tools are great but pricey. I have good drivers from Wiha, a German company, but I don't remember where I got them in the US. Micro-Mark at https://www.micromark.com/ is a super source for small tools, though many of them are too small for typewriters; still it's a great place to browse. Yeah, Brownells.

20-10-2017 06:50:50  #1485

Bought a 1953 Olympia SM-3 DeLuxe last night.

20-10-2017 14:34:08  #1486

M. Höhne wrote:

gnuyork wrote:

The kind that fits into a hose? With like a 5/8 inch hole in the center? With a hole that big they'll squash quite a lot and may not give you the spacing that you expect. Try a hard rubber washer with a hole that more closely fits the screw.

Yes, this a hard rubber washer from the plumbing section. The hole is just a bit bigger than the screw, not 5/8...maybe 2/8... 1/4" thick...it seems to do the trick...but should have opted for a tad thicker...

I look into hollow ground tools... thanks for the tip, all.

20-10-2017 14:34:31  #1487

Dan S - Nice!

22-10-2017 23:07:35  #1488

My purchases at Hermans 
Densmore 2 parts machine
1894 Densmore 1
1903 New Century Caligraph
1907 Smith Premier 5
1910 Remington Smith Premier
1911 Smith Smith Premier 10
Smith Premier 2 parts machine

My blog - Just Typewriters

23-10-2017 05:32:22  #1489

Wow! Id' love to see those! 

24-10-2017 06:43:34  #1490

This arrived today, bought for only 25 EUR (about 30 USD) including shipping from Germany to my country.
Will try to get around to fixing it this weekend. Looks like everything's just fine, except some squashed rubber and some dirt.

Board footera