You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-11-2017 10:58:35  #1511

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Lovely. These are machines you just don't see over here.

03-11-2017 13:03:06  #1512

I've not seen too many here, either FW. It's my most expensive purchase so far - £55 + a tenner for delivery.

Needs a bit of a clean, but there's nowt wrong with it apart from a tiny scratch or two & a little paint loss where I assume the cover hooks have rubbed under the ribbon cover. It even has the original factory swing ticket & test sheet.

05-11-2017 14:15:36  #1513

Just got back with an Olivetti Studio 44 that I picked up nearby for gutter money. The typing gods made me pay, though - with a puncture, broken jack & three hour wait for roadside assist...

I must say, I'm impressed - the action is very nice, very nice indeed!

I think she's a '63 - '64 (serial 533xxx), but can't be certain. Anyway, here she is, ready to join the queue for a spruce - up. I don't have a pvc fetish, btw - that's a bin liner to catch any detritus, although this one doesn't smell of dead, decaying cats!

[img]20171105_190434 by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

06-11-2017 09:28:40  #1514

Well, the Royal Junior arrived - safe, sound and needing nothing more than a dust off & case clean. It's a lovely, little thing. Turns out it's a 1937 model - J54 953. Really, really happy with this - particularly for £15 ($20)!

[img]1937 Royal Junior J54xxx by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

07-11-2017 08:12:22  #1515

This took so damn long to arrive that I'd almost forgotten I'd bought it!

1968 Olympia SM9 wide carriage - bought as an expedient means of acquiring a grey - keyed machine, and also my first wide carriage portable.

Rather amazed that it survived its circuitous, badly packaged journey but, sticking keys aside, it's in fine fettle.

[img]1968 Olympia SM9 by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

07-11-2017 18:35:09  #1516

Got home this evening to discover the Klein Conti & Regent pair which I bagged over the weekend had arrived, too.

Both are fully working and as good as they look in the pics posted on the 'possibles' thread, although they both (to varying degrees) could benefit from a little 'tightening up' - if such a thing is possible! That's a job for another day, though - I have a semi dead SM7 I want to practice on / vivisect before I even consider fettling these beauties myself.

The Conti is a 1936 machine, and exactly as you would expect, whilst the Regent (according to Robert Messenger's blog) is a straight copy of the Torpedo 14 & also formed the basis of the first four bank Imperial portable, predating the first Good Companion by a couple of years. Marked as 'Assembled in Great Britain from foreign parts', it bears two serials - one of which is clearly Torpedo in origin, with the other being - possibly - an Imperial serial. Seems I may have scored a rare, wee beastie there.

08-11-2017 13:31:54  #1517

Frank you're on a roll. I too have a Studio 44, two in fact. That reminds me, I still need to open the package for the 2nd one. Been out of town and busy (another regatta).

09-11-2017 06:58:03  #1518

gnuyork wrote:

Frank you're on a roll...

Well, my recent profligacy shows I'm certainly on something Gnu...  

I'm really pleased with what I've managed to acquire thus far, but I think I might need to adopt (or try to) a more measured approach - at least until I have some time to devote to cleaning & general tinkering (which will be a week or two down the line, as it stands). 

The Olivetti surprised me (and is currently out & looking pretty, along with my '64 SM9) - so much so, that I'm eyeing an early fifties Scribe to keep it company. It's a good distance away, though, so I'm trying to engineer a 'work' based reason to be nearby. Hmm, so much for the measured approach...

10-11-2017 07:01:23  #1519

Notwithstanding my half - hearted attempts at restraint outlined above, you can't really say no to a Studio 42 for £25 including delivery, can you? So I didn't...

I assume this is a later machine, but I'll know more when she lands.

[img]Studio 42 by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

13-11-2017 14:22:38  #1520

Came home to find a 1949 (British) Oliver Portable had arrived. Lovely condition, but with an escapement problem - the carriage will not stay in any position other than 'full left', although the movement is otherwise free.

It doesn't owe me much (and is also a protected Ebay purchase described as 'fully working'), so I need to decide whether it's a keeper or returned as 'not as described'. I understand that, unless I'm lucky & the mechanism just needs a damn good clean, that the fix would entail a full - on carriage disassembly, so your opinions would be gratefully received!

[img]1949 Oliver Portable by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

Board footera