You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2017 15:47:54  #1521

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Ah. I'm in the same boat with that 2nd Studio 44. The carriage only moves partway left and right, as if it's stuck. Debating a return...

13-11-2017 16:16:33  #1522

gnuyork wrote:

Ah. I'm in the same boat with that 2nd Studio 44. The carriage only moves partway left and right, as if it's stuck. Debating a return...

Sorry to hear that, Gnu. 

I'm generally of the mind that 'everything has some value, everything has its use', so my natural instinct (particularly when it comes to Ebay purchases), is to screw the seller - hard - for a sizeable partial refund. Pointing out that they end up paying the return carriage costs as well as being liable for a full refund on a 'not as described' item usually proves to be sufficient incentive! 

If you later manage to effect a successful repair, happy days. If not, well, you've just bagged a dirt cheap parts source, or a recoverable machine to trade with someone more knowledgeable. 

I imagine this is the route I'll be following. If it's a simple fix, that's great. If not, it's a project for when I'm more experienced. After a little mulling, I've decided that these Olivers are too thin on the ground - even over here - to simply toss back without a second thought.

13-11-2017 16:32:40  #1523

Sorry that the Oliver isn't working -- but I think that's the right approach. Who knows when the next one will appear. An awfully handsome thing, and for sure a rarity over here.

14-11-2017 05:36:12  #1524

Exactly, FW - despite my mantra of 'There'll be another along shortly', it's the 'first type', post war portable I've seen in about a month of watching. It's as close to perfect (issue aside) as you could expect from an unrestored machine, too - which leads me to believe the issue has been present since very early in its life.

14-11-2017 11:34:51  #1525

The Studio 42 arrived today with quite a few more faults than expected. Not to worry, though - on receipt of my pic & video evidence, the seller issued a full refund & the outcast Olivetti joins the spares pile as a freebie.

However, I did stumble across a lovely 1955 Olympia SM2 today - she's already back home with me

[img]SM2 by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

15-11-2017 17:54:51  #1526

MancFrank wrote:

gnuyork wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Gnu. 

I'm generally of the mind that 'everything has some value, everything has its use', so my natural instinct (particularly when it comes to Ebay purchases), is to screw the seller - hard - for a sizeable partial refund. Pointing out that they end up paying the return carriage costs as well as being liable for a full refund on a 'not as described' item usually proves to be sufficient incentive! 

If you later manage to effect a successful repair, happy days. If not, well, you've just bagged a dirt cheap parts source, or a recoverable machine to trade with someone more knowledgeable. 

I imagine this is the route I'll be following. If it's a simple fix, that's great. If not, it's a project for when I'm more experienced. After a little mulling, I've decided that these Olivers are too thin on the ground - even over here - to simply toss back without a second thought.

HI Frank, I hear ya- Did that with a Lettera 32 that had a rusted out bottom but was not in the description or photos - there's rust flakes everywhere inside! After sending pictures, the seller gave me a significant refund and a sincere apology. I don't think she ever looked at the bottom.

I just took some pictures and a video of this Studio 44's stuck carriage to show the seller, though I can't load video to an Ebay response email... There seemed to be a missing piece as well (hence the pictures). It's the little cap in the center of the platen roller on the left that you push in to disengage the ratcheting (a fine tune  guess). Anyway...missing. I got it for an OK deal $40 plus shipping, but I think I will try for a return. I already have one Studio 44 anyway, though like all my typewriters so far, need a good cleaning to work optimally. I think I am in agreement with Uwe...not sure I'm keen on the type action of the Studio 44, especially after trying the SM3. I do like the type action on the Lettera 32 though, very much, maybe not more than the SM3 though. I do love how the Studio 44 looks however, and who knows, maybe after a good cleaning I'll warm up to the type action.

Cheers

15-11-2017 18:43:52  #1527

Yeah, I think you should go for the return if you can't reconcile the alternatives in your own mind - particularly if you already have a better example. The best (only?) way to address the video issue is to upload to an external site & link in a message sent via the Ebay system - this being their own advice to me.

I suppose a lot of folk don't really understand what they have, and as such, don't have the wherewithal to fully test a machine. There are, of course, also less scrupulous vendors who will always attempt to try it on! That Studio 42 I've mentioned was buggered in many ways and, like your Lettera 32, heavily corroded. Seller knew damn well, too - he gave me a full refund immediately & told me to 'weigh it in for scrap' (which I won't be doing, obviously - if nothing else, the platen is good, so I figure that's worth a few quid to somebody!).

15-11-2017 19:20:43  #1528

Yeah, I have two Lettera 32s...One very clean and cosmetically beautiful. It was the first typewriter I won an auction for, actually... but the carriage acts slow... moves fully, but slowly, funny it didn't when I first tried typing on it, but immediately after it seemed fouled up....I'm hoping that's just cleaning and maybe an adjustment.

But the other one, was a make offer deal on Ebay...It sure looked filthy in the photost, but I though I could clean it up and see..I made a low offer, and won...didn't think I would win it, but I did...anyway, that was the rusted one. It turns out though, that I really like that one better than the clean one... the type action is better...seems tighter if that makes sense. It's also an older model according to serial number. Now that was one too has a sticky carriage issue - damn these Olivettis!  Could be related to the fact I have the bottom off of it, and it's sitting on cardboard. I ended up soaking the bottom plate in vinegar overnight and magically the rust is gone (and so is the paint), but it did have corroded bits and some rust through holes...I plan to patch.sand, repaint, and give it a very good cleaning - and that will be my main jam besides my SM3 (for now ).  I'm being a bit more judicious about what I bid, now that I have a few examples that I want to keep. I lost an auction for another SM3 last night, because I was weak on my bid...but I already have a really good one. A 2nd, 3rd, 4th would just be gravy...

BTW, seller already contacted me about the Studio 44 making a claim to FedEx, and wasn't sure if she gets the claim or me... for possible damage to the carriage. Either way she is refunding my money! If that's the case, I hope she gets the claim in fairness. To her credit, it looks like the type sample paper included did make full use of the carriage, so it's possible it was shipping damage. Who knows. I may end up with a spare parts paper weight.

19-11-2017 09:47:38  #1529

Glad you got the refund with no hassle, Gnu. There's a good chance it was carriage damage by the sound of it, but whether that's down to the carrier or packaging may well be open for debate! Despite pointing Ebay sellers I've dealt with to a typewriter packaging guide, I've yet to receive a consignment that hasn't made me suck my teeth a little...

It's been a quiet week (by my standards), acquisition wise - but here's another SM9 I managed to bag locally just now - she's a 1967 model. The case doesn't have a jaunty, striped inner, that's just my dying mobile's electronic death rattle. Hmm, five years out of a 'phone & what, about a century out of a basically maintained typewriter? I know where I'd rather spend my money!

[img]1967 SM9 by Frank Judge, on Flickr[/img]

19-11-2017 13:31:14  #1530

Nice Frank. I'm watching a couple SM9 auctions currently. Also my phone is old too. I have no reason to spend the money to replace it. Rather spend it elsewhere (on old technology )

Really kicking myself though because I was watching an auction for a '56 or '57 Royal Quiet Deluxe (an elusive one for me do to them going for crazy high prices) in a color I like... It was Friday night and I forgot about the auction until lying in bed, I remembered too late... the thing went for $33! 

Board footera