You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-10-2018 16:41:57  #1631

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

The reason that the SM9 does not have a 'Red' position on the ribbon selector is that the cursive typeface is much taller than standard and will not entirely fit on the black half of a normal Black/Red ribbon.  Therefore the machine is set up to take an All-Black (or single colour) ribbon only.

13-10-2018 17:33:55  #1632

I would hang on to the Wizard. It's just a Brother JP1 with a different name, but the front panel on them, and others like the Valiant, look great if they're still in good condition. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-10-2018 19:46:42  #1633

thetypewriterman wrote:

The reason that the SM9 does not have a 'Red' position on the ribbon selector is that the cursive typeface is much taller than standard and will not entirely fit on the black half of a normal Black/Red ribbon.  Therefore the machine is set up to take an All-Black (or single colour) ribbon only.

THANKS! I thought it might be something like that, now I know. That would be a clue when looking at auction photos when the seller doesn't know how to properly describe their machine

13-10-2018 19:51:36  #1634

Uwe wrote:

I would hang on to the Wizard. It's just a Brother JP1 with a different name, but the front panel on them, and others like the Valiant, look great if they're still in good condition. 

Yes Sir. When I "re-home" an item it is really more like an adoption for me, not just selling on eBay. The daughter of a very good friend of mine has been using a modern plastic typewriter so I plan to offer it for her use when I have it up and running. If she does not want it, I will keep it. I like to encourage the use of analog tools in today's youth whenever possible!

14-10-2018 14:50:44  #1635

Yes, or any tools at all that aren't a smartphone... 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-10-2018 16:27:19  #1636

ANOTHER one came in the mail yesterday, a 1937 (ish) Corona Standard. Not quite as advertised, but for the price I paid I'm mostly happy. The keys work,but the ribbon doesn't advance, and neither does the carriage. The carriage moves freely by hand, but not with a keystroke. It needs a thorough cleaning, hopefully that will get things going correctly.

16-10-2018 16:50:57  #1637

And, since I appear to have figured out the photo posting thing, the three machines I mentioned a couple of days ago!

23-10-2018 11:27:54  #1638

My latest, and LAST one I will let myself spend real money on, arrived today. A 1960 Olympia SM4. It needs a good scrubbing, has a few sluggish keys, one dead key, a bent left carriage knob, the carriage "bump", and the paper bail won't go all the way down. Overall nothing too daunting!

30-10-2018 14:25:10  #1639

Today I picked up a Royal "unknown to science" (not really!) -- a Tab-O-Matic that appears to date from 1961. I say "appears" because it's basically a stripped-down Futura, and its serial number (457xxxx) would seem to track with the Futura serial numbering for that year. But its prefix, M, is not mentioned in the Typewriter Database, so who knows when exactly these models were made, or for how long. I'm wondering whether it was offered through a specific retailer (M for Montgomery Ward?), but there's no badging that would give a clue.

It's a nice looking machine -- sort of a gray/green crinkle finish overall. As mentioned, it's pretty basic: no touch control setting, no ribbon position selector, no Magic Margin (margins are set manually; no adjacent spacing scale for reference). As the name indicates, it has a full keyset tabulator (Magic Column, as they call it), so that is a feature often missing from simpler machines. The keyboard is pretty much standard for the time -- no key for the 1 and !, but more or less everything else you'd expect.

The machine exhibits the rather typical Royal tendency to crowd letters, and the left margin can be inconsistent (also a Royal feature), so smartly returning the carriage is called for. The spacebar sometimes doesn't operate if I'm typing too quickly. I think (hope) these things will lessen with use, and deliberate typing technique.

The name is very mid-century, and rather amusing. (The seller referred to it in the ad as Type-O-Manic, which is even better.) Anyone else here have one of these?

(Oh, and I got an Underwood Master from 1940 over a week ago, but that's a different story. Very nice machine once the crud was cleared out of its nether regions.)

31-10-2018 18:40:38  #1640

gnuyork wrote:

Incoming - two more Smith Coronas, a red Royal Quiet Deluxe from 1956 (Finally! been wanting one of these), and potentially an Olympia Sm4. My collection is growing 

Yep. Got the SM4 (for $20!). I have not seen it yet other than photos...

Board footera