You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-3-2023 14:31:09  #1881

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

The Adler Special (also sold under the name Record) was on my wish list for a long time. Two weeks ago I found one in a local thrift store for just € 9.95. First impression: special it is! The design of the machine is different from all other machines I know. The same goes for its intended use. According to the manual the Special was designed for the most common office task: correspondence. After I serviced the machine and typed a dozen pages with it I can only say I am very impressed. I can imagine the Special may eventually replace my Matura as my favorite big writing machine. 

04-3-2023 08:29:51  #1882

Laurenz,

Thanks for posting and congratulations.

I hope to add a Triumph Special to my home, one day.

04-3-2023 10:18:27  #1883

Yes, the Triumph version would be a nice addition to your Tippa and Perfekt. I hope you will find one. 

05-3-2023 11:19:05  #1884

Just picked up a 1962 Olympia SM7 yesterday here locally about 15 minutes from home for $40 and it is pristine. Case is also super good condition with the only real flaw being some pitting on the chrome lock and either side of the handle. Also came with the original brushes and yellow towel in the green vinyl case. 

I didn’t even try to negotiate on the price as I felt I was already getting a steal. I’ll be doing a little deeper clean, testing and researching to learn a little more on this guy today. This wasn’t even on my radar until I stumbled on it yesterday. I felt like I just knew enough to know I better grab it.

I was really only shopping for a Hermes 3000 but like many am struggling to feel they are worth the inflated prices. I’ve decided if the local one of those I’ve located near me for $300 doesn’t ever work out, I’m just gonna less aggressively keep an eye out for a local sale where they don’t know what they’ve got.

I have also been considering an SM3 or 4 which is how i came across the SM7 yesterday. Now, I can’t really see myself getting a 3 as I’m really digging the 7 and I don’t want redundancy in my plan of holding just around 4 machines.

Anyway, in addition to cleaning today, I’m going to look at making the adjustment to ease the shift action as described by Duane at Phoenix Typewriter. Once I get it ready for showtime, I’ll try to figure out how to post photos here.

05-3-2023 11:25:24  #1885

John,

I have had very good results using Flitz metal, paint, & plastic polish on those Olympia cases for their bright works.  I use 1200-1500 grit wet & dry emery paper and Flitz as the wetting agent to polish up the chrome.

05-3-2023 22:40:56  #1886

Thanks Pete. I will look into this. The rest of the case is in such good shape, it really deserves me trying to revive the chrome. The strange thing is the the feet on the bottom look much better. I think this typewriter spent a good deal of time in it’s case laying down on it’s side on a shelf.

Couple of questions for you or other Olympia fans…

1. As clean as this machine and case are, there is a thin rim of yellowish/orange along the top ledge of the bottom portion of the case where the felt/fuzzy bottom liner meets the vinyl covering. I saw the same stuff on an old photo of your blue SM7 case and also on Reverend Munk’s 7 case, so I’m thinking it is common. What is it from? Can’t tell if it is rust from something or from the very yellow cleaning rag or something else. Strange thing is I don’t see how it could’ve gotten there. No streaking from anywhere or anything else.

2. As I said, mine is a 1962 and on the left side of the machine where the touch pressure adjustment arm is located, my machine only has a “+” indicator and no “-“ one. Did it fall off at some point or did this year or portion of this year only have the “+”? I’ve seen 1961s with neither and other SM7s with both, so I’m not sure, but curious. 

So far I am really liking this machine. It’s beautiful with tons of detail that I appreciate. I typed with it a little so far and I kinda love the feel too. After adjusting that shift tension all the way, it’s so light, I would say, it’s every bit as easy to use the shift as the one on my Silent Super basket shift. 

05-3-2023 22:49:43  #1887

…meant to also question if the orange film I mentioned could be from the adhesive used under the ribbon cover for the sound deadening pieces? The adhesive is smeared in the two spaces where the sound deadening used to be. It’s also the same orangish color all across the inside/back of the textured gray piece above the keys. This actually seems most logical as it appears to be the exact same color and both felt/foam pieces had come off the cover. Still, no streaking anywhere.

06-3-2023 10:56:43  #1888

Hi John,

1.  I just assumed it was some chemical reaction between the adhesive used for the vinyl covering and the adhesive used for the interior "felt-like" interior.  Maybe the same glue used for foam sound pads.

2.  My 1961 SM7 has its touch-control lever under the cowling.  Sometime in 1962, I think they moved it so it is usable from the exterior and only had the " + " indicator on the lower stroke position of the lever.  In 1963...both the " + " and the " - " indicators showed up.  My blue SM7 has both.

These indicators were plastic set in a small square hole in the metal frame and then heated/melted in place from the underside.  Same with the 3 dots for ribbon color and stencil indication.

Relatedly...my 1968 Olympia SM9 has the + and - signed punched out in the metal framing and did not even use the plastic indicator dots.

06-3-2023 11:15:47  #1889

And interesting...when Olympia became Olympia-International and the orange "basketball" logo appeared...

Around 1969-1970, the SM9 lost is key-top Tab set & control on the both sides of the space bar and the left chrome lever, previously used for touch control was converted to Tab set (+) and Tab clear (-) fucntions on the left side of the key-board.  But noticed the " + " is now in the upper position. 

And on these later SM9's, the touch control moved back to under its body cowling position as with the early SM7 back in 1961.

Here is a photo of one of these later SM9's...photo off the TWDB galleries and not a machine in my collection.

06-3-2023 17:21:34  #1890

Thanks so much for the very thorough answers. I really appreciate this. I was thinking the same thing about the adhesive used in the case likely being the same as used on the sound insulation pieces and staining the felt rim as it potentially oozed from the vinyl wrap. 

Did not realize the + was an inset as it looked like it just sits on top. Nice detail piece of info. I also had thought I had seen SM9s with and without the orange logo and sounds like you are saying ther are both in that series.

Thanks agai, Pete!

Board footera