You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-5-2015 14:24:13  #181

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Ah, sorry - I got the wrong end of the stick there! Maybe some of the cases were grey. And I've seen people use the word case to describe the body...

31-5-2015 17:31:30  #182

KatLondon wrote:

I've seen people use the word case to describe the body...

case (encase - shell, body) = the shell of a typewriter that contains the machine's mechanical components and is fixed to the machine's frame

travel case = a protective container used to store or transport a portbable typewriter

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-6-2015 07:26:05  #183

Yes, that's kind of what I was getting at. And as demonstrated, it can cause confusion in everyday usage...

02-6-2015 20:21:00  #184

I found an old Olympia Deluxe typewriter at the town transfer station this past weekend.   It's in beautiful shape and after a few very minor repairs, and locating a suitable (sort of) ribbon, it's working perfectly.  Unfortunately,  I only got half of the case, I'm on the lookout for an original (or close) case fot it.

02-6-2015 23:49:47  #185

KatLondon wrote:

Yes, that's kind of what I was getting at. And as demonstrated, it can cause confusion in everyday usage...

The word case should be used to describe a typewriter's exterior shell as it is the correct term. And either travel or transport case should be used for what a portable typewriter is stored or carried in. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-6-2015 23:53:10  #186

Seamus wrote:

I found an old Olympia Deluxe typewriter at the town transfer station this past weekend. It's in beautiful shape and after a few very minor repairs, and locating a suitable (sort of) ribbon, it's working perfectly. Unfortunately, I only got half of the case, I'm on the lookout for an original (or close) case fot it.

That's quite the find! And just to make sure I understand you correctly, is a "transfer station" a garbage dump? I know a professional dump diver who built an entire house almost solely from materials found at the dump, and mentioned having seen the odd typewriter there as well. Any chance of a photo of your Olympia?

03-6-2015 08:56:09  #187

Sort of...  in the case of my town, we previously had a garbage dump, but it became a mountain of trash with no real space to make it bigger.  So, they set up a "transfer station" system.  You take your trash, recyclables,  leaves and brush, etc. there, and sort the items into the right sections.  The town has several contracts to haul everything out to the proper processors.   I believe our regular trash goes to a trash-to-energy (trash burning) power plant.  Nothing stays at the transfer station.

There's 2 donation areas.  One is "free stuff".  You leave things that may have value to someone else and take anything you want.  The other is a donation area for a local tag sale we put on to benefit the town senior center.

I've put some great stuff in both areas, and found some neat stuff there too.  Albums, electronics, toys for the kids, etc.

As for the pictures, I have to wait until I have 10 posts apparently.   I will post them as soon as I can.

03-6-2015 11:00:54  #188

Should only be three posts for photos.

That sounds like a great system, but in my neck of the woods I'm afraid that there would be permanent collection of scavengers loitering around the donation pile. It's bad enough that we already have metal thieves patroling the streets looking to liberate anything metal that isn't bolted to the ground (and even then it doesn't always stop them), but to give the second-hand money makers a source of free goods would probably result in an ugly scene.

03-6-2015 12:26:16  #189

I'll give it a try.  Not the best photos.  I'll take some better ones...

My youngest trying out the typewriter:

03-6-2015 14:34:10  #190

Excellent stuff!   Definitely a SM3, and it appears to be in fairly good condition too. 

Board footera