You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-12-2023 11:03:57  #1951

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Pete E. wrote:

Mike,

You need to lift off the carriage and then the SN is on the right side of the chassis.

Here is one of Uwe's photos off of the TWDB photo galleries.

( I was too lazy to take my machine out and apart...)

p.s.  I opt to remove the plastic paper guides first before lifting off the carriage.  I find that easier and less prone to crack the plastic with the platen.

Ok thanks, willl research carriage removal.

- Be kind 

05-12-2023 11:18:36  #1952

ah. Got it. Latches on sides. Piece of cake. 

- Be kind 

05-12-2023 11:20:13  #1953

Same number on both carriage and frame.

- Be kind 

05-12-2023 13:06:29  #1954

Mike,

Good read, below, about matching and non-matching SN's on the SG's :

https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1808

05-12-2023 13:36:41  #1955

Pete E. wrote:

Mike,

Good read, below, about matching and non-matching SN's on the SG's :

https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1808

Interesting. and Uwe's statement: 
" speculate that when the numbers match that you have an original carriage and body combination, and if they don't, that it's a carriage that was part of another machine and someone got them mixed up, as you could understand might happen in a large office using a number of SG1s. "

I had trouble rolling a sheet of paper through it and found that there was an old adhesive label stuck to the chrome tray under the platen, catching the inserted paper's edge. Struggled to figure platen removal so gave up on that and soaked the label with Goo Gone; was then able to dislodge it by pushing card stock paper against it until it came loose. Now to clean up the greasy goo gone.

- Be kind 

12-12-2023 18:45:02  #1956

Picked up this Tower President XII locally on marketplace. Has some issues and may request advice later in the maintenance/repairs category. I really like the look of it and it is a good typer.

- Be kind 

13-12-2023 15:33:36  #1957

That's a keeper! It's a strange design that mixes odd angles and curves, and yet works. It's a shame that more rebranded models didn't also make changes to the bodywork - but of course that would have probably resulted in a higher price, and/or less profit.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

13-12-2023 17:07:48  #1958

Mike,

That's a stunning beauty.  Congratulations !

Here is the link to your TWDB Gallery...so our members can see more photos :

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1959-tower-president-xii.21753.typewriter

14-12-2023 07:13:52  #1959

Uwe wrote:

That's a keeper! It's a strange design that mixes odd angles and curves, and yet works. It's a shame that more rebranded models didn't also make changes to the bodywork - but of course that would have probably resulted in a higher price, and/or less profit.

Apart from the shell, looks to be the same machine as the Sears Forecast 12 and the Tower Constellation.  Hoping to locate one of those for some carriage parts.

- Be kind 

17-12-2023 10:35:33  #1960

Solved the problem with the platen not advancing to next line as the arm is thrown. I found a tiny spring loose in the case. It keeps a pawl pulled down on the sprocket teeth as arm is pulled. Tiny victories mean a lot at my age. 

- Be kind 

Board footera