You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-2-2024 18:20:05  #1971

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Mike,

I followed your lead on the Tower President XII.  Based on the SN, it dates from 1960.  Seems like these were only made for 2 years...1959 and 1960.

This one is on my work bench as of today.

It even still has metal ribbon spools.

Case seems flawless just dirty.

18-2-2024 20:58:01  #1972

Very cool. Looks to be in good condition.  I acquired a parts machine branded as Sears President to scavenge some repair parts like a shift knob and the pull out plunger on the left platen knob.  Everything now working on this one as it should.

- Be kind 

19-2-2024 11:09:03  #1973

This President XII seems to be a hybrid.  Looks like the lower body & cowlings of a Series 6 with the upper of the older Series 5 machines...except for some updated platen knobs from the Series 6.

Even without my deep cleaning, this one has a nice light & responsive touch to the key-board. 

And I like how the 12" carriage takes a business envelop.

19-2-2024 16:35:19  #1974

Typewriter spa-day completed for machine and case.

Touch-up to paints done as well.

Just waiting for the new silk B&R ribbon to be delivered.

19-2-2024 19:35:19  #1975

Yours look like it saw little use and is in much better condition than the one I restored. It has some weight to it doesn't it!

- Be kind 

19-2-2024 21:02:22  #1976

Hi Mike,

Yep...very little crud-ola inside the machine.  I think it was pampered and the type-slugs are quite sharp and can draw blood from a finger it not careful.

And I can leave a thumb-nail impression in the rubber of the platen.

My machine weighs 13.6 lbs. without its case weight.

The machine that really surprised me in terms of weight is my 1977 UK-made Olympia Monica S.  It comes in at 14.8 lbs. without its "lid" weight. 

With all of its body cowlings and covers being plastic, I was expecting a lot lighter machine.  And it only has a 11" carriage...not a 12" like the President XII.

23-2-2024 12:23:53  #1977

Our house kitties are funny creatures.

Our 6-year old rescue kitty (named "Sweets") could care less about this typewriter for over a week as I was working on it.

As soon as I put on  a new silk B&R ribbon...there is something about its smell...as he has a new favourite place to hang out, now.

He is a bit ginger-kitty.  Big...not fat, very tall and long and weighs over 20 lbs.

23-2-2024 12:53:44  #1978

He's guarding it to make sure no mice nest there. 

- Be kind 

Board footera