You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2015 12:16:03  #201

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Very nice indeed! I had to haggle over the price of a rusted, non-functional Royal KMG with my neighbour (she thought it was a valuable antique and I just wanted to rescue it). And you're right about it being a private label Smith-Corona. I think Penncrest was JC Penny's brand name for its 'in-house' typewriters much like Tower was for Sears.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-6-2015 12:20:31  #202

LOL, did you end up buying it? I asked my neighbor how much she wanted for it and she said she was just glad to get rid of it without throwing it away.  Now, if my other neighbor would just find a pristine Hermes in THEIR basement...

09-6-2015 13:26:49  #203

Fab neighbours you have!

09-6-2015 13:27:33  #204

Oh, so now you're getting fussy about your free typewriters?  I did end up buying it (it was actually a KMM, not a KMG) - I think for $40 - and it took a fair amount of work to get it working properly. She originally wanted $100, and when I saw what shape it was in I reluctantly offered $20. The only 'free' typewriters I've received was one from my sister (a Smith-Corona Silent) and my friend Valiant (who doesn't visit here as often as he should) is quite generous when selling me machines in bulk. He even gifted me a Groma Humber this past Christmas, which naturally tops my list of magnanimous gestures.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-6-2015 14:32:49  #205

Spazmelda wrote:

I'm guessing it's a rebranded Classic 12 (EDIT: looks like it's a Galaxy 12, not Classic). Anyway, it seems to be in good shape and is a lovely late 60s early 70s turquoise. So nice of my neighbor!

I'd say a rebranded Classic 12, Galaxies don't have the "half space". 

I have to say, that is one nice looking SCM. A great typewriter to get free, for sure!

09-6-2015 14:42:33  #206

Ah, you are correct.  I didn't think the classic 12s had the select a type feature, but I was mistaken.  This one has the 1/! Select a type and +/=. The exclamation mark is wonky though (1 types fine). I guess if a slug is going to be messed up, that's the one you'd choose.

09-6-2015 16:41:16  #207

The Lettera 32 that arrived yesterday and which has been giving me so much fun in all kinds of ways!

09-6-2015 20:02:52  #208

Spazmelda wrote:

Hey, when people find out you collect typewriters, they really do start throwing them your way. I was out on my front porch attempting to over-ink a ribbon for my large type smith corona when my neighbor showed up to chat. She thought I was kind of bonkers, but about 30 minutes later knocked on the door with a typewriter case in hand.

It's nothing too special really, a Penncrest Caravelle 12. The manual says J.C. Penny, and it looks like a Smith Corona, so I'm guessing it's a rebranded Classic 12 (EDIT: looks like it's a Galaxy 12, not Classic). Anyway, it seems to be in good shape and is a lovely late 60s early 70s turquoise. So nice of my neighbor!

That's a really neat looking 1960s typewriter, and it looks to be in beautiful condition. Everyone needs neighbors like that!!!

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

10-6-2015 09:23:29  #209

Brought this Ico home with me yesterday evening. It was put up for 100$ but I got it for 40$ and I am very pleased with my new Olivetti. I simply had to dust it off. Nothing else was needed and it feels new.
I doubt that I'll be typing whole books on the beauty, but it deffinetly is a better typer than I imagined it to be.
Happy days! :-)

Last edited by Parum (10-6-2015 09:29:36)

10-6-2015 09:59:47  #210

A lovely Ico! And for - how much?! $40 is a fantastic deal. Green with envy! Enjoy your lovely new typewriter

Board footera