You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-6-2015 10:11:41  #211

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

malole wrote:

A lovely Ico! And for - how much?! $40 is a fantastic deal. Green with envy! Enjoy your lovely new typewriter

Agreed!

10-6-2015 13:42:45  #212

malole wrote:

A lovely Ico! And for - how much?! $40 is a fantastic deal. Green with envy! Enjoy your lovely new typewriter

Thanks. I WILL!!!!!
By the way - I just visited your very nice typetheclouds page and saw the Monarch Pioneer with the hammer alignement "a bit" on the wobly side. As you can see on the new Ico there is a bit of wobling going on there as well, and I thought maybe you or someone else had a trick how to tighten up the look. Is it a long and tiring road to walk or can it be done farely easy? The typing is already great and the printed letters are "North-Korean-troops-goose-step-accurate", so I do not want to take on a huge project where everything could go horribly wrong. I don't know the english word for the "hammer-rest" piece of filt, but maybe that could be softened in some way?

10-6-2015 14:53:25  #213

I think if the typing is great, then I wouldn't worry too much about the look of the typebars at rest. You could change the felt under the typebars, I think that would be easy enough, and you can get pieces of crafting felt quite easily.
As for my Monarch Pioneer, well that is a total wonky job! The typeheads were all soldered on in a very haphazzard way, leaving me thinking that it must have been done by an inexperienced apprentice!

10-6-2015 19:06:04  #214

Nice Olivetti - never seen one here in AUstralia.  I think green was a special order colour, so may be more rare?

Sincerely,
beak.

10-6-2015 21:32:34  #215

This was quite a shocking find at my local flea market. This isn't the type of thing you usually find in person, so I had no choice but to take it with me . It's a Coloumbia Bar-Lock 10, from the early 1900's.

10-6-2015 23:33:04  #216

Good heavens, JustAnotherGuy! Does the Bar-Lock type??  Seven banks of keys! And it looks pretty clean.

11-6-2015 07:47:29  #217

Mech wrote:

Good heavens, JustAnotherGuy! Does the Bar-Lock type??  Seven banks of keys! And it looks pretty clean.

It almost works, but I still need to clean it and work out the problems. It is fairly clean though, and I can't wait to restore it.

11-6-2015 11:40:51  #218

What an amazing find. I like the way the upper and lower case keys are different from each other. Super!

11-6-2015 16:11:57  #219

Your find reminds me a lot of the Smith-Premier I found: old, dirty, and completely impractical to use but still fun 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-6-2015 00:34:44  #220

That Columbia is an amazing machine... that one is DEFINITELY worth the effort to preserve and restore. Amazing find, for sure. Man, the coolest pre-1910 machines I have found have been a few Olivers and a Smith-Premier. Your Columbia is a typewriter-shaped metaphor for awesomeness!

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

Board footera