You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2015 20:05:52  #231

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Spazmelda wrote:

Ah, that makes sense.  It is in good condition except for the feed rollers and platen.  They are toast.  Since it was my grandpa's I feel like it's worth a bit to get it fixed up.  It's stuff I can't really do myself though, so it will have to go out.

My husband just informed me that the thing I was calling beta, is actually double s.

It's an ess-set.  I'm not sure how it's spelled in English, but, that's my recollection of the character's name.

Last edited by colrehogan (17-6-2015 20:34:54)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-6-2015 11:16:28  #232

Spazmelda - wonderful typewriter!

thetypewriterman wrote:

I would bet that the 'Y' and 'Z' have been transposed to make the machine into a quasi-English keyboard. You should be able to tell the difference between these and the remainder of the typeface if you look carefully. The hand-soldered ones will look less uniform.

Interesting! I was in a shop yesterday and saw an Erika M with a QWERTY keyboard and German characters. I am going to go back to look more carefully at the 'Y' and 'Z' type.

18-6-2015 13:37:08  #233

I have seen the swapping of those two slugs and keys done to German machines that were brought to Canada, but I never understood why anyone bothered to do it. I use QWERTZ keyboards often and it only takes a few lines before I consistently remember that the Y is where the Z normally is. If it was the only machine that I owned and used it would be even easier than that. Still, it's an interesting subject and does give collectors something else to look for when examining German-made typewriters.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2015 13:15:36  #234

This was a pretty common practice in the early 1950's when typewriters and pretty well everything else was in short supply. On my flickr photostream there are pictures of two Erika machines taken at a 1940's event but they were both made in the early 50's and had the keys swapped round.

21-6-2015 18:33:55  #235

My latest acquistion arrived on Saturday morning, a brand new typewriter! Well, unused anyway, it was sold as old shop stock and had only been taken out of its carton to be photographed when it was put up for sale. It's an Olivetti Lettra Dora, not everybody's choice for a typewriter perhaps but I couldn't resist being able to type on a new machine. I think it was made in 1975 and I couldn't find the serial no. on the machine but it was on the shipping carton 8403007. Now the question is, will it be worth less if I actually use it? Not that I really care, I don't approve of things 'stuffed and mounted' like in a museum. Oh, and typically Olivetti I guess, there was something wrong with it, the bell had lost it's ding, still after sitting in its' carboard box for forty years perhaps not surprising.
I don't think I have quite got the hang of posting pictures yet as it just seems to appear as a link.

Last edited by Uwe (26-6-2015 22:44:58)

21-6-2015 19:07:34  #236

That's pretty cool. I've always wanted to use a "new" typewriter instead of reserviced. Now you'll have to find a used one and compare the two 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-6-2015 17:57:45  #237

The American Writing Machine Century 10 arrived today from eBay - beautifully packed by the seller - and in dirty but functional condition. It actually types! Very little rust - just a thick layer of greasy dust over everything that has probably protected it well these past several decades.

It is lacking the paper table with the Century 10 decal. Very unfortunate, but it otherwise seems complete. I was drawn to the typewriter as a good project machine. Cleaning the typewriter and getting it get running smoothly will be very satisfying.  Such a nicely-sized compact little typewriter.  It weighs about 17 lbs. I am having some problems finding the serial number.

26-6-2015 18:58:52  #238

Mech wrote:

I am having some problems finding the serial number.

I finally found the serial number inside Century 10, behind the keyboard: HS90097

26-6-2015 20:06:58  #239

Will you have to dunk it?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

26-6-2015 21:16:27  #240

colrehogan wrote:

Will you have to dunk it?

I'm not going to dunk it - I haven't dunked before and the typewriter looks like a frail old thing.  I will use PB Blaster in stiff/rusty spots and follow up with denatured alcohol and/or mineral spirits where the grease and dirt are thick.  It's actually moving pretty freely right now in its greasy dusty state. I wiped it down with water and dried it with a towel and it already looks 1000% better.

Board footera