You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-6-2015 21:50:21  #241

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

How big is that thing? It looks like it should be a huge standard, yet it seems so tiny! Can you do a comparison with another typewriter as a reference?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

26-6-2015 22:30:46  #242

ztyper wrote:

How big is that thing? It looks like it should be a huge standard, yet it seems so tiny! Can you do a comparison with another typewriter as a reference?

It's pretty small - about 17 lbs. It's somewhere between my LC Smith 8 and my Royal Aristocrat in size.  I'll take comparison pictures a little later.

26-6-2015 22:44:04  #243

retro wrote:

I couldn't find the serial no. on the machine but it was on the shipping carton 8403007.

The serial number on a Dora (Lettera 31) is located on the frame on the right side under the carriage. It can be a little tough to see because it's between the plastic case and the metal frame.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-6-2015 01:15:16  #244

ztyper wrote:

Can you do a comparison with another typewriter as a reference?

Here's a  so-so comparison photo (L to R): 1939 Royal Aristocrat, 1919 Century 10, 1922 LC Smith No.8.

27-6-2015 19:26:54  #245

The Century is just so cute!  It looks just like a baby standard!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

27-6-2015 19:39:58  #246

^ lol IT DOES! its going togrow into a standard!

Anyways, I recently got a Royal Speed King, and a Smith Corona Coronet Super 10. From what I can find out, the Speed King is sorta hard to find.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

28-6-2015 07:39:03  #247

Well I can't compete with all these fantastic ancient fixer-uppers... but as Spazmelda and I were discussing the other day, I did weaken and bought this little beauty:
It is really lovely! It needed a good clean but it wasnt nearly as disgusting as most of them when they arrive. It was made in 1957, so it's three years younger than my other one that has the 42 dark green keys. And it was a nice feeling watching the colour change to a nice minty 1950s green as I cleaned it! Of course it has a few little spots on it; don't we all. It feels just as great to use as my other, more beat-up-looking grey one, and it has a really beautiful, slightly unusual-looking little elite type.

A little question is that the serial number has a U after it - 5T 800205 U - and this isn't mentioned on the Database... Also, I'm interested to note that it says 'Made in Belgium' on the front - and has an exclamation mark key. In my (admittedly hardly exhaustive) experience, the European machines tend to have an exclamation mark far more than the US ones, though this one still has the fractions instead of (far more useful, in my view) accents, etc. 

HOWEVER, as with all these things... There turns out to be a bit of a problem. It became apparent slowly - first not at all, then the odd skip, then more skips, then bigger skips, and now it will only type two characters and then locks solid. I've worked out exactly what part of the escapement is misbehaving and how and where - I just don't know what to do about it. I'm about to start a thread in the repairs section with the details. 

On the wider Silent-Super front, though, I can now confirm my love for these machines. It's good to have a basis for comparison, especially given the condition my other one was in when I got it. And also, good to know, the grey one is just as good as the other, except for its broken 5/£ key. So I not only brought it back from the dead, I brought it all the way back, with just a slight limp.

Also, inspired by the thorough cleaning I gave the green one, I spent a good hour or so scrubbing the grey one again and saw a good couple more layers of grime come off. I just need to get the escapement fixed on the green one!

And then with luck that will be the last post I make on THIS thread. I need to have a selling frenzy, really. 

Last edited by KatLondon (28-6-2015 08:25:02)

28-6-2015 08:16:56  #248

Looks nice Kat. I hope you figure out your spacing issues.

I'm going to have to have a repair thread for my underwood 150 I picked up in Foley. It's got more issues than I thought. It will have to wait until we get home and I can take some good pictures. The ribbon advance isn't working. I thought it was in the store, but when I got it out at the condo the right ribbon won't turn at all. It doesn't appear to be rusted, but I will give it a good cleaning and then see what I can figure out. It has a weird ribbon mechanism. A ball chain and some gears.

28-6-2015 13:03:10  #249

Today I traded 3 portable typewriters for a 1945 underwood S
I believe it was made for the government during WWII
As all the little rings on the keys are black instead of silver.

My blog - Just Typewriters

28-6-2015 13:46:21  #250

mre12ax7 wrote:

I believe it was made for the government during WWII - As all the little rings on the keys are black instead of silver.

Unless it's specifically stamped as such I wouldn't assume that. Odds are that it's a regular Underwood. The use of chromium was greatly restricted during the war, and just like with the automotive industry at the time, many parts that used to be chrome-plated were painted instead. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera