You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-6-2015 14:01:10  #251

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I sure seem to have a knack for finding WWII typewriters
As I also have what I believe is the latest 1942 Royal KMM made.

My blog - Just Typewriters

28-6-2015 14:48:43  #252

mre12ax7 wrote:

What's a World War 2 typewriter? Do you mean a knack for finding typewriters manufactured between 1939 and 1945? If so, I didn't realize they were difficult to find given that Underwood alone produced over one million typewriters during that time period.Or did you mean typewriters that were actually used by a branch of some nation's military forces?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-6-2015 17:26:45  #253

Spazmelda wrote:

Looks nice Kat. I hope you figure out your spacing issues.

I'm going to have to have a repair thread for my underwood 150 I picked up in Foley. It's got more issues than I thought. It will have to wait until we get home and I can take some good pictures. The ribbon advance isn't working. I thought it was in the store, but when I got it out at the condo the right ribbon won't turn at all. It doesn't appear to be rusted, but I will give it a good cleaning and then see what I can figure out. It has a weird ribbon mechanism. A ball chain and some gears.

Update on this... We are home now, yay!  My husband and I examined the typewriter from this and that angle and determined what wasn't turning, but had the hardest time figuring out why,  he finally spotted a bit of rust on a part of the ribbon mechanism deep down in the depths of the machine.  I doused the part with pb blaster on a q-tip and it still wouldn't budge,  I finally got impatient and inserted the tip of a flathead screwdriver down in the joint and gave it the gentlest whack with another screwdriver and it released immediately.  The clean up can now proceed.  I think I will still start a thread on this when I have time to take some pictures.  It's got a big glob of rust on the bottom, but it doesn't seem to be a part that needs to move.  I think it's the part that holds screws that the typebars springs fit into.  So I'm not sure how much rust I need to get off.  What's the best method for this?  I tried pb blaster and a toothbrush, but do I need to use a wire brush? The toothbrush doesn't seem to be moving much rust. It's not a stellar machine, the back is missing (didn't realize it was supposed to have one) and very very dirty with moderate rust. I'm glad to have the ribbon mechanism working, and now I need to rewind a fresh ribbon onto the spools so I can test it out.

28-6-2015 18:25:36  #254

Uwe wrote:

mre12ax7 wrote:

What's a World War 2 typewriter? Do you mean a knack for finding typewriters manufactured between 1939 and 1945? If so, I didn't realize they were difficult to find given that Underwood alone produced over one million typewriters during that time period.Or did you mean typewriters that were actually used by a branch of some nation's military forces?

No Just typewriters made when civilian production was stopped

My blog - Just Typewriters

28-6-2015 21:49:08  #255

mre12ax7 wrote:

As I also have what I believe is the latest 1942 Royal KMM made.

You have a Royal KMM with the serial number 3025999? According to the Typewriter Database, that is the last KMM made in 1942.

28-6-2015 22:08:59  #256

mre12ax7 wrote:

No Just typewriters made when civilian production was stopped

You lost me there. Are you claiming that you have typewriters that were made after a company stopped production because of the war? Can you give us a few examples of models and their serial numbers? I've never heard of these special production runs, nor seen serial number information for such machines, so please share.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-6-2015 23:58:34  #257

I think he might be talking about a radio mill typewriter? From what I gathered, they were used for government purposes.

But does your machine carry any differences that might signal something unusual? Pictures would be nice to illistrate too.

Also, if your machine seems like it was used DURING the war (late 30's early 40's) than it probably was. But that does not mean it was used FOR the war. Just because I own a shovel from 1941, doesn't mean it was being used to dig foxholes in France. Same goes for typewriters. People still used typewriters during the war, but most didn't use them for the war.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-6-2015 11:13:35  #258

ztyper wrote:

I think he might be talking about a radio mill typewriter? From what I gathered, they were used for government purposes.

Radio mills, at least all the ones I've come across, where produced during normal production runs.

ztyper wrote:

Just because I own a shovel from 1941, doesn't mean it was being used to dig foxholes in France. Same goes for typewriters. People still used typewriters during the war, but most didn't use them for the war.

Exactly, and that was my point. I've seen too many try to attach historical significance to a machine just because it was manufactured during the early '40s, especially when they are German typewriters. Sellers are the worst and will advertise that a machine was used  by the military for no other reason than it was green (a colour that were normally painted at the time).

29-6-2015 11:20:31  #259

Uwe, there was a skywriter on craigslist and the seller got me all hyped up saying it was an army issue. I get there, and Im like, where is the army issue? She thoughtit was army issue because of green keys.

And adding on to what someone said about people putting typewriters in cases upside down, that happened yesterday when I was picking one up.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

29-6-2015 14:12:41  #260

I just assumed that 'World War ll' meant wartime. In the UK that's just how people refer to that period. I see a lot of ads that say 'wartime' but they just mean the time, not the millitary, and that's what I guess I'd also assume if they said 'World War ll'.

Funny (& a bit sad) about the lady and the green keys.

Board footera