You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-7-2015 10:44:38  #281

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

What a neat fix!

13-7-2015 18:25:36  #282

Welp, yesterday was a good day. I went to a flea market yesterday in Pasadena California that only happens on the 2nd Sunday of every month and we just happened to be there for a few days. Scored this Remington Letter-Riter:

And this Olympia SM-9 DeLuxe:

The SM-9 has a script typeface, which is a pleasant surprise for me. What's even surprising is that I got both of these typewriters for only $20 each! $20 for a script Olympia SM-9 in great condition almost seems like too good of a deal. But I assure you, it's absolutely real. Not only that, the SM-9 came with the instructions manual and the original final inspection paper! Now all I have to do, is ship it back to New Jersey...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

13-7-2015 20:33:56  #283

Looks like a good day, ztyper! I also have a cursive sm9. I lurve it!

14-7-2015 02:50:13  #284

Wow, how fantastic! Both very fine machines and they look in excellent nick. And as you're doing the shipping yourself, at least you can trust the packing... ;)

19-7-2015 18:12:57  #285

Wasn't planning on it but picked up 3 more typewriters today. A Smith-Corona Super Speed, a Royal Dart, and a cheap Sears. I'll post some pictures when I can.

20-7-2015 10:23:39  #286

Got these from a guy who said the keys would make good jewelry. The Smith Corona needs a thorough cleaning. The only issue with it is it needs new platen.

The Royal is in pretty bad shape. It is basically rusted solid.

The sears doesn't advance.

01-8-2015 01:36:29  #287

After two late night trips to the grocery store, I had to open the big box I brought in earlier.  Inside a well packed inner box, was a typewriter case containing my maroon Smith Corona Silent.  One of the things that holds the ribbon was broken, but other than that, only the case handle was shot.  I do think that it needs to be aligned, although the seller said that it had been serviced.  The type sample included in their ad showed that the letters weren't properly aligned.  Some of the paint was missing on a corner of the machine in the pictures, but otherwise, it looks to be in nice shape.

The serial number on this machine is 1S5466, which according to the typewriter database, is before anything in their list for a Smith-Corona Silent.  Am I missing something in the database or misinterpreting it? If I assume it was made before the first entry in the category (which is the case with this number), is that correct?

Last edited by colrehogan (10-8-2015 13:02:41)

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-8-2015 06:24:10  #288

Colrehogan, did you ever figure out your serial number?

New to me as of yesterday:

20-8-2015 08:32:58  #289

Hermes 3000 Cursive
Just removed from several cubic metres of bubble wrap.  I knew when I purchased it that the platen knobs were not present and that it was possibly a spares or repair item.  The metal case is dented and the typewriter must have experienced a few severe knocks in its time.  The various bits of metal cover are not sitting quite squarely and snugly as they should.  The carriage makes a grating noise through part of its travel - from 1cm along from left edge of platen to 5cm, after which it runs normally.  Bent something or other?
The reason I purchased it was for its cursive type and it raised a smile as soon as I got a letter out of it!  Looks like it will need a bit of fettling to get it working properly.

20-8-2015 09:11:40  #290

Several cubic metres of bubblewrap? LOL. At least you were lucky enough to purchase from a seller who tried to package it up properly! It types, and that's the main thing. Would be nice to see a sentence or three typed out.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

Board footera