You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-10-2015 17:57:30  #381

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

They shipped it without a box?!?!?!

03-10-2015 22:50:43  #382

Yup. Strange. He created more work for himself by wrapping it so tightly and with so many layers that I have to respect the effort. Though it would be common sense to ship things in a box. So now my typewriter doesn't look nearly as nice as yours... (which by the way looks absolutely stunning!)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

04-10-2015 05:06:42  #383

I have never heard of such a thing. Shipping a typewriter in plastic wrap!  It is just bizarre. My Underwood S that looks similar to yours is my favorite typer.  What year this one?

The new Royal I got is certainly pretty. They people selling it on craigslist described it as 'like new'.  Hmm, the ribbon vibrator is missing a spring or something, so the ribbon doesn't stay in (I think I found the spring floating around in the case, so hopefully I  can figure that out), but more importantly, the carriage doesn't advance.  Was hoping it was just dirty or some easy thing, but it seems to be an escapement problem.  The good news is that I got it for much less than they were asking, the bad news is that I don't know if I will be able to get it working.  I think I can. I think I can.

04-10-2015 10:37:16  #384

This one is from 1949. The main reasons I got it was because I need an Underwood in my permanent collection, and to put it up against my Royal KMG which started production in 1949 (though mine is from 1952). 

Good luck with your escapement... I fear the worst when the escapement is the main problem because that things drives the whole typewriter. I thought my Underwood had an escapement problem because it would make a grinding noise when the carriage moved. But it was just the tab set mechanism that was bent during shipping. Try looking for manuals online on repairs. I think Richard Polt has a few repair manuals for Royal portables on his site somewhere.

04-10-2015 11:07:03  #385

I think my underwood is '43.  It's action is like butter.  So smooth. I still need to get a KMG.

I did find the repair manual for the Royal Portables on Polt's site.  I've looked at the diagrams, but I need to read the text more carefully.  I posted a thread in the maintenance section with a picture.  I feel like I am soooo close to figuring it out, but not there yet.

04-10-2015 13:39:46  #386

retro wrote:

the Erika model 10 and 12 which has been referred to by some writers as the Rolls Royce of typewriters.

The stuff one reads on the internet! I would have found it shocking enough had any one person made such a claim, but you actually read this opinion being offered by more than one person? It's very difficult for me to reconcile such a comment, becaue based on the three Erika 10s that I own, and directly comparing their performance to other machines from the era, it's an average - at best - model. Then again, maybe the Rolls Royce reference was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, and really thought the Erika was overpriced, stodgy in its appearance, and lacklustre in its performance?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-10-2015 17:42:06  #387

Uwe wrote:

Then again, maybe the Rolls Royce reference was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, and really thought the Erika was overpriced, stodgy in its appearance, and lacklustre in its performance?

Sooo... I shouldn't look for an Erika? Good to know... 

04-10-2015 17:49:56  #388

Recently got a green 1959 Royal Futura. First one Ive ever seen in person. Boy, its nice looking! Its mint condition, and had a price tag on $45 at my local antique mall. I acted on impulse and snagged it.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-10-2015 18:22:21  #389

OMG Spazmelda that thing is lovely. I am SURE you'll get it working! I just feel you can do it.

04-10-2015 19:13:39  #390

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Recently got a green 1959 Royal Futura. First one Ive ever seen in person. Boy, its nice looking! Its mint condition, and had a price tag on $45 at my local antique mall. I acted on impulse and snagged it.

Futura is on my list, and whenever I see a nice looking one on ebay I can't bring myself to bid because I really want a green one. 

Kat- I hope so!  Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Spazmelda (04-10-2015 19:18:27)

Board footera