You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2013 22:31:14  #31

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Hemingway wrote:

My space is at a premium.

No pun intended, but maybe you need to think outside of the box. There are other ways to store a typewriter, while keeping it immediately accessibile, without having it sit on top of a desk. For example, you can hang it on the was like a piece of art by just using to rubber coated hooks (to protect its finish). You can also double your desk space by putting your printer on a desk mounted shelf that your typer can slide underneath - and be somewhat more protected from dust, which by the way is something that wouldn't concern me.

I took one look at your photo and saw several places you could put a typer without disturbing your current set up.

This should give you some idea of what I'm talking about:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-4-2013 19:10:34  #32

And now I need one more post to prove to the forum that I'm not a spambot, at which point I can theoretically post my picture...

04-4-2013 19:12:21  #33

I stopped into a tiny antique store on my way to an auction in a tiny town in northern New York. The owner said this had been sitting there for three or four years. He was asking $100. I bought the typewriter, table, and metal document box for $75.

04-4-2013 19:24:21  #34

Welcome! That looks like a great score! What is that, a Royal Magic Margin?

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

04-4-2013 19:37:09  #35

Honestly, I don't know. I haven't really researched it yet. It's in great condition though, and still has its ribbon reel covers. I think it's the only one of my 20 typewriters that has them.

04-4-2013 21:01:39  #36

Uwe wrote:

Hemingway wrote:

My space is at a premium.

No pun intended, but maybe you need to think outside of the box. There are other ways to store a typewriter, while keeping it immediately accessibile, without having it sit on top of a desk. For example, you can hang it on the was like a piece of art by just using to rubber coated hooks (to protect its finish). You can also double your desk space by putting your printer on a desk mounted shelf that your typer can slide underneath - and be somewhat more protected from dust, which by the way is something that wouldn't concern me.

I took one look at your photo and saw several places you could put a typer without disturbing your current set up.

This should give you some idea of what I'm talking about:

That's very creative, but it also looks incredibly dangerous. I know from experience that desktop typewriters weigh a LOT. I wouldn't want one of those falling off the wall in the middle of the night! 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

04-4-2013 23:17:40  #37

I actually had it like that and it was cool but I live in a mobile home and the walls are thin so I can't.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

05-4-2013 13:38:16  #38

The wall typewriters look fantastic, but I'd have them down every five minutes to clean them (The dust! The dust!).

Like Shengas, I'll have a few out at a time. A couple to use/display and my current repair job.

07-4-2013 04:02:54  #39

Steve Stephens wrote:

Uwe, I would love to share my typewriters with everyone here but I have one problem:  Photobucket was where I had many photos stored and where I easily stored new photos.  But Photobucket has changed their format where it no longer is pleasant to use so I need to find another host.  I don't suppose there is any way to post photos on this forum without having a host or a link, is there?  Really wish there was an easy way to post my photos until such time as I find a new and suitable photo host.

I've just joined, and went to Photobucket.  Took me a while to figure it out, but eventually hit on the drag and drop option.  First open your reply page here, then go to PB in a new tab, bring up the image you want, and drag it directly across to this forum's tab, keep holding it until the reply box appears, and then drop it into your reply - as simple as may be, I found.

Perhaps this is no good for you, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Last edited by beak (07-4-2013 04:05:33)

Sincerely,
beak.

07-4-2013 18:02:34  #40

Beak, Photobucket still works for me but I hate the new format and do not want to waste my time uploading more photos to Photobucket.  I'm sure that I can find a more user friendly site.  Compared to the way the site used to be it is terrible now, but was very good before the change in the past few months.  

Board footera