You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-10-2015 19:43:09  #391

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Well I sell it to ya. But its going to be $200+ cause its now the favorite in my collection

Good luck finding one! From what Ive researched, the green is more rare and uncommon.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-10-2015 19:56:46  #392

I'd love to find a Futura because they just look so cool. Too bad I can't seem to find some of the most common typewriters in my area except for boat loads of QDL's...

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

04-10-2015 20:00:01  #393

ztyper wrote:

Sooo... I shouldn't look for an Erika? Good to know...

It's nothing like that. If there's one available, and you think you like it, then certainly buy it. They are decent machines, and I do enjoy using those that I own, but to claim that specific model is the "Rolls Royce of typewriters" is - to me at least - an outlandish claim.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-10-2015 20:06:21  #394

@ZTyper Well thats funny, I still hvent found one quit de luxe within two years here.... hmm...

Back from a long break.

04-10-2015 20:16:17  #395

Royals are everywhere in New Jersey. But Underwoods are not. I have yet to find a single Underwood 5 here when they are probably one of the most common typewriters out there. Just proves to me that where I live has a thing against Underwood.

05-10-2015 08:57:26  #396

ztyper wrote:

Uwe wrote:

Then again, maybe the Rolls Royce reference was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, and really thought the Erika was overpriced, stodgy in its appearance, and lacklustre in its performance?

Sooo... I shouldn't look for an Erika? Good to know... 

Oh, I wouldn't send the jury out just yet. First have a look at what others say about them. Some are well respected jounalists and collectors and I am just a typist who collects the odd machine out of curiousity. Here is a link to one who compares Erika to another well respected German typewriter manufacturer. At the end of the day they are just opinions though and as they say "the proof of the pudding is in the eating". I would thoroughly recommend you try one and make your own mind up. I think your typing fingers will thank you for it. I am a little biased though having had one from new since I was fourteen, more years than I care to think about. I use a typewriter more days than I do not and I know which is still my favourite machine. You just have to remember that typewriters are a very personal thing and some are like a Marmite sandwich, loved by some and hated by others. I recently acquired a new (old shop stock) Olivetti, always wanted one since I was a kid. It was another one of life's disappointments but to others you would have thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.
http://typewriterreview.com/2014/12/17/erika-10/

Last edited by retro (05-10-2015 09:02:08)

05-10-2015 16:21:29  #397

Recently got for free from a guy a:
1929 Underwood 5 (Has no decals on it, except the paper plate and arm rest) Any ideas?
Unknown Remington Rand KMC with extra extra long carriage. Im going to use it for parts though, because its rusty. Tons of worn paint, missing key, lots and lots of rust, so if you need it for parts, pm me.
Unkown Royal KMG. Wasps nests in it with acorns. Very dirty with some rust and chipping paint with oil? stains all over it. Im thinking of repainting it.
Another Unknown Royal KMG with extra long carriage. Some rust, VERY dirty, and lots of paint chips. Definitly repainting this. Maybe a nice red, or white, or something.

Any tips for repainting? Anyone here do it?

Back from a long break.

05-10-2015 16:55:22  #398

retro wrote:

[First have a look at what others say about them. Some are well respected jounalists and collectors and I am just a typist who collects the odd machine out of curiousity. Here is a link to one who compares Erika to another well respected German typewriter manufacturer.

The link is to a blog that has all of 19 typewriters reviewed, so it appears that its author isn't drawing from a wealth of experience, and his review of the Erika is an exercise in hyperbole and almost completely void of objective analysis. I for one would love to know who the "well respected journalists and collectors" that you refer to are. Most real journalists would make poor judges of a typewriter, at least how a machine would stand in comparison to the myriad makes and models that comprised its competition. Most writers and journalists stuck with one model for many years and were more preoccupied with churning out copy than figuring out which model had keys that fluttered like the wings of angels. I know a number of serious and respected collectors (although he's too modest to admit it, I'd include Valiant in that group), and can't recall one having gushed about the Erika 10. However, for giggles I'll pull one out soon and compare it back to back with an SM3 and see if my opinion of the machine is still the same.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2015 17:02:30  #399

Typewriterguy,

good luck repainting your KMG's. They are pretty easy to clean with the easily removable side panels and the one step platen removal mechanism. Tell us how repainting goes because I've like to repaint my KMG a more... less oppessive office regime color.

05-10-2015 17:36:35  #400

Think i would have to remove the carriage to repaint? And, Im thinking about a smooth paint, since its flaking. Or do they have crinkle paints?

Back from a long break.

Board footera