You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-10-2015 06:17:30  #421

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I was just being lazy, talking to myself on the thread! You're right, the Hermes is more slanted. I love this fat upright - but the script thing seems a lot more common in the US, all round. I only see them occasionally on eBay UK, and they mostly cost a fortune.

It's hard enough to get a midcentury Underswood over here, and the S-Cs, being relatively uncommon, tend to go for a lot. I did find an Adler Junior 3 with script type, going for a reasonable price - got it, of course. It's really sweet, but I don't know when I'd really use it. I haven't cleaned it up yet, anyway. But it's a very cute machine! 

26-10-2015 07:32:07  #422

Right, that is not like my Herme's script at all.  I'd love to have one of those more vertical script typewriters.  One thing to do to snag a script is look for listings where the seller doesn't know that script is special.  You can peer at faint type samples and fuzzy pictures of the slugs.  I was able to get the Hermes for relatively little expense because the seller had not listed it as cursive, I think. Someone on this board pointed it out to me, but I can't rememer who... Typewriterguy maybe?  I'm very grateful to have seen the alert!

26-10-2015 08:40:39  #423

Ahhh, yes! And yes, I do always squint at the type. I think we're all alert to the poor eBay listing... ;) 

26-10-2015 12:04:35  #424

i've squinted, zoomed in, and emailed sellers for more pics too.  i've only seen a couple of listings that were cursive. nothing was mentioned in the description but a type face sample pic was in one of the photos.  i've also seen cursive listings that clearly were not. 

a recent listing with this kind of vertical typeface sold at $495.00. I was lucky enough to find my machine at Buy-It-Now a week later for $119.00 + very reasonable shipping.  yup, that was me.

26-10-2015 12:20:21  #425

Well, even that's a little steep for me! But its great. That's like how I got my Hermes 3000, too - I was watching two. One auction went crazy in the last two minutes and skyrocketed to £190 - insane - and tyhree hours later, the next one went to £90. You just can't tell. Meanwhile there was one with a disfiguring service sticker on the front, on a buy-it-now for £125. That one didn't sell and didn't sell and was relisted three times, before it finally went for £80. But the thing is, I have a thing about shipping. I got mine for £41 from someone just outside London and collected it in person. And it's just gorfgeous and pristine. 

I never like to ask too many questions of the seller, in case they answer them o the listing and then other people get more interested...

26-10-2015 12:24:19  #426

KatLondon wrote:

Ahhh, yes! And yes, I do always squint at the type. I think we're all alert to the poor eBay listing... ;) 

Haha, yes of course.  Sorry to be pedantic,

26-10-2015 13:05:13  #427

KatLondon wrote:

I never like to ask too many questions of the seller, in case they answer them o the listing and then other people get more interested...

never thought of that.  good tip.
i have two Hermes 3000 and i bought them both locally.  i'm really wary about having things shipped too (for the cost and not having the ability to look at the item in person before buying).  I've had good luck so far with the two machines i've had shipped.  i have one more coming tomorrow and we'll see if my luck holds up.  otherwise, i prefer local pick up too.  

27-10-2015 05:36:54  #428

Finally got my Blick! It was locked up with grease and oil, and its finallyloosened up with some Pb Blaster. Ill be posting some pictures of some mystery parts soon. Are they spring driven, gear drivin, or mainspring driven? I think they are spring driven.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

01-11-2015 06:39:18  #429

Right... so I've just taken a punt on this. It's missing its left-hand carriage knob, and the shift lock is either stuck, or else the seller doesn't know how to unshift it. I guess I might have to tell them how to do that, in case, as it seems a bit dodgy for shipping. 

In any case, it was about £100 less than the next-cheapest Kolibri! I'll have to slap some machines up on there to cover some of this recent activity... 

01-11-2015 06:42:43  #430

Geez, I'm missing the edit function! Also as you can see it is missing its backspace key. But as I say, £100 cheaper. It's a little bit of a punt, but I've taken it... if it actually works I'll be over the moon.

Board footera