You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2015 21:54:21  #441

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Fleetwing wrote:

Today I got (for $10) a 1954 Underwood De Luxe Quiet Tab -- in the two-tone brown color scheme. .

It is time for me to stop shopping on eBay and start looking for stoop sales (equivalent of yard sales in my part of Brooklyn). Eventually I might get 5 machines for what I am paying for 1.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

07-11-2015 22:00:30  #442

ztyper wrote:

Your Royal 10 is already better than mine, my 10 didn't even have any tab stops when I got it! I have a feeling that you Royal 10 is going to clean up real nicely. Good luck!

Thanks, ztyper! Serial number is hard to read but seems to be six digits starting with a 6, which makes it 1921-1923.

If I had the impetus to take care of the rubber parts it would be functionally almost new.

07-11-2015 23:09:41  #443

Dunno why Royal had terrible serial numbers, but I suppose it's just something we have to live with. After all, it is just a number. I also should get the platen and rubber parts on my Royal 10 fixed, I just can't bring myself to spend that much money!

And Valiant, your typewriter looks a lot better than mine does! The chrome parts are all rusty and so are the insides. It just makes the machine very... rough-feeling when I type. But it should clean up nicely and be one of my favorites.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

11-11-2015 20:53:17  #444

Uwe wrote:

retro wrote:

[First have a look at what others say about them. Some are well respected jounalists and collectors and I am just a typist who collects the odd machine out of curiousity. Here is a link to one who compares Erika to another well respected German typewriter manufacturer.

The link is to a blog that has all of 19 typewriters reviewed, so it appears that its author isn't drawing from a wealth of experience, and his review of the Erika is an exercise in hyperbole and almost completely void of objective analysis. I for one would love to know who the "well respected journalists and collectors" that you refer to are. Most real journalists would make poor judges of a typewriter, at least how a machine would stand in comparison to the myriad makes and models that comprised its competition. Most writers and journalists stuck with one model for many years and were more preoccupied with churning out copy than figuring out which model had keys that fluttered like the wings of angels. I know a number of serious and respected collectors (although he's too modest to admit it, I'd include Valiant in that group), and can't recall one having gushed about the Erika 10. However, for giggles I'll pull one out soon and compare it back to back with an SM3 and see if my opinion of the machine is still the same.

I always respect the views of others whether I agree with them or not and before I acquire a typewriter I usually try to find out what they are like. Yes, the writer of the blog did "wax lyrical" over the Erika and I see no harm in that. As to if he only owns 19 typewriters I wouldn't know but I value his opinion, expert or not just as I do the opinions of those in this forum. You say that " I for one would love to know who the "well respected journalists and collectors" that you refer to are" well, okay then, here are two but you may consider them unworthy, especially as one, Robert Messenger, is or was a journalist. He seems to be kindly disposed towards Erika in general and to quote Richard Polt  "I love the Erika 10's sturdy, bulbous styling and high-quality design and materials. Good typewriter."I certainly would not want to get into a schoolboy 'my typewriter is better than your typewriter' bunfight nonsense but I am looking forward to your back to back review of the SM3 versus Erika 10 although judging by your earlier comments my Erika seems to be better than the three you have. I know nothing about Olympia typewriters except the SM9 I recently acquired and a 1930's one that I used during a 2 day 40's event earlier this year. I presume then that the SM3 is the holy grail of typewriters?My most recent acquisition was at a charity shop while looking at an over-priced Royal and is not one that I would normally consider. My wife pointed out another machine and said why didn't I buy that other one as it was only five pounds and was rather cute. It only needed a new ribbon and she says it is "a lovely typewriter and types really nicely". I always value my wife's opinion on all matters. It is a 1975 Silver Reed 200 in battleship grey.  I don't think I need post a picture of it. 

11-11-2015 23:45:41  #445

Appropriately enough for Veterans' Day, here in the United States, I post some photos of a battle scared veteran which was just discharged from the field hospital - no cosmetic surgery, but fit to return to active duty.

I did not take before photos of this Royalite, though from this view, it would not matter much. It's principal charm was a purchase price of $2 + $14 shipping. You pay your money, and you take your chances.

The good thing was, the mechanism basically worked, It typed. It's issues were (1) seemed to have been stored on its back in its carry bag with the bottom in damp for a long time (2) chassis not attached to body. The sub-results of (1) were (a) back of machine badly corroded (aluminium or maybe magnesium) (b) margin release jammed (c) carry bag revolting and bad musty odor. Last had clear solution - no more bag. First called for scraping and painting. Margin release I did not even notice at first, and when I did I had already removed the body to clean it up and repaint the back, and I tracked down the problem to part of the linkage at the back. In the standing water. Not corroded, just gummed up, mineral spirits fixed.

The original color would seem to be the ubiquitous "nauseous sea foam". Um... maybe I did not quite get that right, but greenish seas always make me think of sea sickness anyway, and I'm not sure why this shade seemed to have been so DARN popular with typewriters. Do not think I've seen the color option anywhere else - even under a less noisome name. So my local hardware store of course does not have this color, and I settled for "smoke gray". It will now be, until the resurrection of all typewriters - two tone. and lovely colors they are.

The back did not come out too badly...

...being a nice uniform gray, and you can see the beauty of this color combination on the side. On the rest of the machine I just sanded out the bad bits of paint and patched them in with a Q-Tip. Personally, I find the gray less noisome - the battleship may be rocking, but I would rather be aboard than in the cruel ocean.

I wanted to attribute the detachment of the chassis to the same cause - rot from water damage - but I am not sure. There was not a hint how the attachment should have been made, though when I opened the machine many bits of dry rotted rubber came out, which may have been a clue. The screws which should have made the connection were all the way home in the chassis, though, so it seems like a deliberate decision had been made at some time to punt and leave the chassis loose. When I jury rigged a way to reattach the body I was mighty proud of myself - until I found everything was jammed! Eventually, a ticklish job of shimming with washers inside and out corrected this, and the typewriter is triumphantly in one piece again.

The reason for the stack of different sized washers is that the holes were rather large - apparently for a rubber insert - and I had to find a way to support the screw head. More spacers inside. It was also necessary to add some feet to stop the machine's new name from being The Gouger.

Well, that was the end of the field repair. How does it type?

Not bad for $2! Soldier on, veteran. When a typewriter is returned to active duty, the picas shed a tear of joy in heaven.

Possibly because I eliminated so many rubber shims for metal-to-metal connections, the sound of typing is like a thousand ants beating their swords into plowshares. A typing tintinnabulation. I did add a piece of electrical tape (red, visible in second photo) behind the typebars. I feel there should have been a strip of rubber there. The tape at least eliminated some of the clattering.

Incidentally, I left the seller great feedback on what a great deal this was and how happy I was, and send him a friendly private note saying that I was happy, but if a tad MORE money had changed hands, I might have been unhappy that he accidentally forgot to take a photo from the aspect with the most damage - the corroded backside. An you know what? He never reciprocated feedback. Guess I should have made the comment in public. Sheesh!

12-11-2015 01:03:20  #446

"When a typewriter is returned to active duty, the picas shed at tear of joy in heaven."

LOL!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

12-11-2015 09:58:30  #447

retro wrote:

Uwe wrote:

retro wrote:

[First have a look at what others say about them. Some are well respected jounalists and collectors and I am just a typist who collects the odd machine out of curiousity. Here is a link to one who compares Erika to another well respected German typewriter manufacturer.

The link is to a blog that has all of 19 typewriters reviewed, so it appears that its author isn't drawing from a wealth of experience, and his review of the Erika is an exercise in hyperbole and almost completely void of objective analysis. I for one would love to know who the "well respected journalists and collectors" that you refer to are. Most real journalists would make poor judges of a typewriter, at least how a machine would stand in comparison to the myriad makes and models that comprised its competition. Most writers and journalists stuck with one model for many years and were more preoccupied with churning out copy than figuring out which model had keys that fluttered like the wings of angels. I know a number of serious and respected collectors (although he's too modest to admit it, I'd include Valiant in that group), and can't recall one having gushed about the Erika 10. However, for giggles I'll pull one out soon and compare it back to back with an SM3 and see if my opinion of the machine is still the same.

I always respect the views of others whether I agree with them or not and before I acquire a typewriter I usually try to find out what they are like. Yes, the writer of the blog did "wax lyrical" over the Erika and I see no harm in that. As to if he only owns 19 typewriters I wouldn't know but I value his opinion, expert or not just as I do the opinions of those in this forum.
---- snip ----
 I know nothing about Olympia typewriters except the SM9 I recently acquired and a 1930's one that I used during a 2 day 40's event earlier this year. I presume then that the SM3 is the holy grail of typewriters? ....  I always value my wife's opinion on all matters.
---- snip ----.  

tl;dr   The best opinions are based on facts, not other opinions.
Well, I always respect other people *as people,* and I think everyone should, but that does not lead me to value their opinions or views equally. Many opinions are underinformed, some are misinformed, and some are just plain goofy. Mark Twain said, "It ain't what folks don't know that's the problem---it's what they know that ain't so." But here I'm underinformed; it may have been Josh Billings or Artemus Ward. To add complication, those are all pen names.
A major detail that seems under-appreciated in these discussions is that comparisons of today's typewriters are affected as much by their conditions of life over the last 50 to 130 years as by their original designs. The unknown histories of this vs that typewriter regarding maintenance, different rates of hardening of rubber, kids pounding on them, storage conditions, and such makes certainty untrustworthy. Even among the same model, much less trustworthy across makes and models and eras. Condition and history make big differences in individual comparisons.
That said, there are observable traits---things like some models seeming disposed to have weak escapements, some having more efficient linkages, and so on. But this is where experience comes in---being able to evaluate whether the feel of a keystroke is due to design or condition, and how one design might compare with other designs that one has only read about, not experienced. Quite likely these days condition is a big factor. And this is why we have reservations about the pronouncements of someone with 15 typewriters acquired over, say, the last nine months.
HTH

12-11-2015 12:11:34  #448

That was a fantastic summary, Michael.

I used to test machines for a living, and my evaluations were published on a monthly basis, so I am hypersensitive to the grey area that can exist between subjective and objective comments concerning performance. Well used, and often very old, evaluating a typewriter can be a real challenge as its current condition adds an extra layer of complexity to the process. Because of this I often hesitate to comment on a specific model's performance until I've had an opportunity to actually use a number of them, or if only one sample is available, to make sure at the very least that it's in excellent mechanical condition.

Even then, it requires the contribution of many other elements to create an informed evaluation. Experience, the type gained from using hundreds of different typewriters, is of course a fundamental. Less obvious methods of gaining insight are the comparisons with contemporary reviews of a specific model, or listening to the comments offered by professionals in the field (such as TT member thetypewriterman) who have first hand experience with a machine's service history. 

The internet era has changed many things in terms of how people glean information. It has, for example, turned anyone with a blog into a reputable source. As a journalist I was taught to always question the validity of a source, and if possible to look for a consensus of opinion before assuming something to be factual. It seems to me that many internet users are oblivious to this, and especially when it comes to the younger ones, they are prone to believing mostly everything they read online. Consequently, when some blogger who has only ever used a handful of typewriters proclaims one of them to be the best model ever made, I can guarantee that you'll find other internet users repeating that opinion with the conviction that it had been chiseled into the stone tablets carried down from Mount Sinai.

On a slightly more serious note, we are only talking about typewriters here. They might be near and dear to us, but as with other sources of entertainment, this really is a case of to each his own. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to believe what they like. And it's certainly not my place to convince anyone that they're wrong; in fact, to get worked up over something that in the grand scheme of things is borderline insignificant is just being petty.  The main thing - for me - is for everyone to enjoy using their typewriter(s).

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-11-2015 23:02:53  #449

Royal 10 #4

No serious issues. Some paint loss, slightly bent corner of paper rest, some residue, missing foot. Criminally inexpensive.

How can such a fine machine go wanting an owner for less than half a C note, delivered to your door!? I am hooked.

13-11-2015 22:32:10  #450

Went to an estate sale with my girlfriend today because it was near by, and walked out with this:

It's dirty, oily, and as far as I know, it works. Was the first thing that I spotted when going down to the basement because of the classic SCM case the typewriter came in.

Two things I don't get though. Why is the platen blue, and how is there a "Jeweled Escapement?"

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera