You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2015 22:50:21  #451

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I recall reading somewhere that model was manufactured with the platen in three colours, coded to the body paint -- blue, green and red. I haven't 'fact-checked' this, but I have seen a few examples of this model with platens in different colours, which would support that this is the case.

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

13-11-2015 23:40:19  #452

The jewelled escapement gear must rotate on jewel bearings, as in a watch movement.

14-11-2015 09:23:26  #453

JoeV wrote:

The jewelled escapement gear must rotate on jewel bearings, as in a watch movement.

Ah, marketing! Cool feature. Advantages would be that the typewriter kept more accurate time, and took longer to run down. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

14-11-2015 09:27:01  #454

ztyper wrote:

Went to an estate sale with my girlfriend today because it was near by, and walked out with this:

It's dirty, oily, and as far as I know, it works. Was the first thing that I spotted when going down to the basement because of the classic SCM case the typewriter came in. "

Nice find. You must have been one step ahead of the guy who wanted to buy it to sell it back to you on eBay plus shipping and a markup. 

14-11-2015 20:41:47  #455

Uh... I actually plan to do the that exact thing, but I may end up keeping it because I love the touch so much! 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-11-2015 21:29:25  #456

I got a Galaxie Deluxe just like this earlier this year, minus the case. I've taken to calling it the Blue Platen Special. It does type nicely, as do most of the SCMs of this vintage, though I had to adjust the printing since the lower parts of the letters did not print well.  The Power Space feature (kind of a gimmick, I think) works intermittently, and I'll need to look into that.

14-11-2015 21:50:44  #457

ztyper wrote:

Uh... I actually plan to do the that exact thing, but I may end up keeping it because I love the touch so much! 

Ha! You sell on eBay? Maybe I've bought from you! But only one of the glowing delighted five star transactions I am sure. 

15-11-2015 18:23:58  #458

ztyper wrote:

how is there a "Jeweled Escapement?"

It was explained in this post, and despite what some suggest, it's not marketing hype. However, why it was used in a portable that was less likely to suffer the wear and tear that a standard model would in an office is a mystery to me.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2015 19:20:31  #459

Picked up a Corona Zephyr De Luxe today. It needs some tinkering (see type sample below), the ribbon covers are missing, and it's not pristine condition aesthetically, but it works well. I already had a standard Zephyr, so of course the De Luxe is a bonus.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-11-2015 20:06:04  #460

Uwe wrote:

...it's not marketing hype.

So there are little jewels inside of the escapement then to reduce wear? Interesting... It's almost like Royal's "Roller Contact Escapement" that was said to be "frictionless" and reduce wear. Took Smith-Corona long enough to figure something out like that.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera