You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-11-2015 21:29:37  #461

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

"... the infamous Skyriter ..." What???!

15-11-2015 22:40:46  #462

M. Höhne wrote:

I meant famous, but I think the Zephyr wasn't having any of it and took over at that point...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-11-2015 06:54:08  #463

Uwe wrote:

M. Höhne wrote:

I meant famous, but I think the Zephyr wasn't having any of it and took over at that point...

Heh. I was about to ask the same thing, but being a newbie, it never occurred to me it was a slip of the fingers. I wanted to know WHAT had gained the machine infamy!

Now that I know it's merely famous, I will ask anyway - what makes it famous?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

16-11-2015 11:47:21  #464

Well, there's widespread fame of the type enjoyed by premier athletes and musicians, and then there's the lesser kind that only exists within more modest circles. The Skyriter would fall into the later category; among typewriter collectors and enthusiasts the Skyriter is a generally highly regarded and fairly well known model. Why? I suspect because of its user-friendliness, pleasing and compact design, and its availability. Given the longevity of its production run that lasted over four model generations (including the Zephyr), one would have to speculate that it must have been popular, if not somewhat famous in its day as well.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-11-2015 12:14:18  #465

Today's find, a like-new 1962 Olympia SM5:

18-11-2015 13:44:46  #466

Nice find! I come across 'newish' typewriters from time to time, but have only ever found ONE that I would say was new/unused. It was in a junk shop in the middle of summer, but I felt like it was Christmas morning. ☺️

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

18-11-2015 14:03:52  #467

Valiant wrote:

have only ever found ONE that I would say was new/unused. It was in a junk shop in the middle of summer, but I felt like it was Christmas morning.

Wasn't that one a Smith-Corona? A 5-series model? I'm pretty sure you showed it to me, or maybe I'm thinking of another machine. It was obscenely clean if I recall, but then again I would describe you as having extraordinary luck when it comes to finding nice machines.

18-11-2015 15:12:45  #468

Hi Uwe: Good memory! It is a Clipper, description and photos were posted in this thread:
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=604#p60

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

18-11-2015 16:49:31  #469

I bought a Skyriter on ebay last weekend.  I hope it gets to me in one  piece.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-11-2015 17:00:06  #470

congrats to you!!  that's one of my most recent finds too---an SM5 like that in beautiful condition and with the Olympia #69 cursive typeface. love my cursives!!

Board footera