You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-11-2015 16:54:27  #481

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Yes, Olympia did take extra care, and it is probably my favourite make.  You can hang your hat on Olympia !  BUT they were not fools at Wilmhelshaven.  The Splendid 66 has that same engine-turning on the centre guide, but it only goes down as far as the chromium plated trim piece above the anvil (ring) on the segment.  On the part of the centre guide that is hidden behind the trim, no engine turning !  Why put it there if no-one is going to see it ?  A few pfennig saved and no harm done !

19-11-2015 18:25:13  #482

Perhaps not as delicate or refined as the perlée you would see on a watch movement, it's still an nice touch, and off the top of my head I can't think of another manufacturer that included such a detail.

The guilloché technique was applied to the entire SM model range starting as early as 1949 with the SM1,
and was a standard feature of the SG1 during its long production run, but it was eventually dropped from the later model SG3s.

It's arguably not as dramatic an effect on the SF-based models because it doesn't appear that Olympia reduced the diameter of the turning for the smaller guides used for those machines. In fact, it wasn't even initially performed on the ultra-portable guides. Earlier SF and Splendid models didn't feature the refinement, nor did it exist on later ones such as the Yugoslavian-made Traveller models. When you consider that in their twilight mechanical typewriters became an exercise in no-frills manufacturing, it's not a surprise that you won't find anything resembling the understated elegance of a '50s Olympia on any of the Japanese-made Olympia models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-11-2015 20:27:39  #483

You can hang your hat on an Olympia! I love that. Well done Spazmelda, that's nice. I've been wishing I could find a nice cheap SM7. There was a pink one recently on eBay.co.uk, and not even that expensive, but somehow just slightly too much... And then today, on some sort of sudden turn of a hair, I clicked'buy it now' on this

I'm also selling at the moment, but for XMas-
present prices, not for collectors... Gotta keep the wheels turning somehow...

19-11-2015 20:28:54  #484

I just... love it...

19-11-2015 20:54:55  #485

Kat: guess you're good with a QWERTZ?

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

19-11-2015 22:49:17  #486

Valiant wrote:

Kat: guess you're good with a QWERTZ?

I'd be more concerned that the seller remembered to put the paper rest back down before closing the travel case lid...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-11-2015 04:00:09  #487

Heh! & yeah I don't mind QWERTZ - I have about three. Tbh all the function keys are in different places on different machines anyway, so you already have to take each one on its own terms. I've been looking at this particular one for ages - it was going to end in two days and I just sort of clicked without even really thinking about it! Gulp. I'll whack something else onto eBay I guess... But it seemed like a great price, anyway; plenty of people are selling Corsairs for more than that.

20-11-2015 22:06:32  #488

Well, I have become a member of the SG1 Club today, and yes, I'd say it lives up to its favorable reputation. I had to travel about 60 miles to get it, but for $20 it was well worth it!  The paper support is missing (no surprise), and one of the levers that controls the card supports doesn't seem to work, but that's basically it. The paper charger lever was bent to the left; I was able to bend (pardon, form) it so it's basically straight now. Cosmetically it could be better, but it's not ugly by any means.  Some paint wear and what looks like Wite-Out on the ribbon cover, but I don't want to take paint off by trying to remove it.

I love the d o u b l e  s p a c I n g feature; very cool indeed. And those extra keys (degrees, 1/ , etc.) are neat, though I have those on my SG3 also. I was amazed at how smooth the carriage return is; as nice as the SM series.  Overall its feel is very close to the SG3, but it might be just a touch better. And I like the grey-green color -- it looks very close to the "Feldgrau" color of German army uniforms (hope that reference doesn't bother anyone).

Oh, and the typeface is Congress Elite, which is extremely handsome, and a real bonus.

Serial number? I don't know yet -- I understand I have to remove the carriage to find it, and while I am told that's a simple matter, I really don't want to screw anything up when I do so. I gather I just have to turn the two levers on the side away from me, and lift the carriage straight up? So if there are any tips I should know before I do this, just let me know.  Thanks!

21-11-2015 00:01:08  #489

The only tip would be to do some weight-training first.
Congrats on your SG1 - I envy you the degree and 1/ keys - neither of mine have those.

Sincerely,
beak.

21-11-2015 07:19:17  #490

Thanks! I thought all of the SG1s had those keys.

Board footera