You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-11-2015 11:17:26  #511

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I'd argue that both of those models, in decent condition, are good typewriters. The dual colour key Remington portables are very nice to type, and they're solid too. Work on those feed rollers, give her a good cleaning, and you'll have a nice reliable portable to hand over to the next generation.

The Erika is interesting in that you have to spend time with it before it begins to make sense. With some machines you can just sit down and get to work, but I found with those Erika models that there's a period of adjustment that's required. The key action is significantly different than many other machines, which if you're not patient will lead to a poor first impression. Again, a keeper, if you spend enough time using it. Less inspiring if you only pull it out on occasion or like to constantly switch between a number of machines. A stripped ribbon advance gear? Is it just one tooth that's stripped, several, or all? Strange. At least it should still work fine moving the ribbon in the oppostite direction.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-11-2015 18:27:03  #512

Thank you sir, for your kind encouragement (touching scene in which I am reconciled to the crippled typewriters, who will save me from a berserk laser printer some day in gratitude).

I was wrong about the gear. It was slipping and I assumed it was worn down, whereas the real problem was that the pawls which help inch the ratchet along were not making good contact.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

28-11-2015 08:37:14  #513

Something less usual; a Brother Deluxe 650 TR with Russian keyboard!  Found it in the local charity shop which sells only things they have scavenged from the local public tip.  That sounds bad; what happens is the council workers at the rubbish tip look out for stuff for them, reclaim it safely and give it to them.

Anyway, this machine has never been used, as far as I can see; there is not the hint on ink on the slugs, and everything (except the case, given the machine's odd recent home) is pristine.  Odd to me that someone would think this object worth nothing other than to be thrown onto a rubbish heap, but there you go.

Unfortunately, the shell is the most revolting shade of hysterical electric terra-cotta orange, so I won't assault your eyes with a photo.  But here's the product...

My Russian is so rusty as to be corroded into an unrecognizable heap, so I'm sure that there are typos, but the theme of creative writing may appeal.

I have my own (weakly remembered) translation, but if any native speaker would favour me with a more natural one, I'd be grateful.

Sincerely,
beak.

28-11-2015 08:41:04  #514

Re the above, this Brother 650TR is an impressive machine, even though it looks like plastic tat.  Has all the required functions (more than that recent Royal HH!) and has a perfectly usable action.  I was surprised.

BTW - the edit function seems to have disappeared from my posts - anyone?

Sincerely,
beak.

28-11-2015 09:19:24  #515

"...so I won't assault your eyes with a photo."

Beak, please don't feel obliged to pander to our delicate sensibilities... I, for one, am really curious to see a photo of your machine, given the interesting story about how you acquired it!

Re: editing: our moderator can explain (may have explained elsewhere in the forum, not sure?) but seems there was good reason to restrict the edit function

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

28-11-2015 09:28:36  #516

That type example is beautiful Beak.  I have no idea what it says, but wow, so crisp, even, and dark.  Very impressive.

I picked up two typewriters from an online auction.  One is a Smith-Corona Corsair Deluxe and the other is a Sears portable (which I've been told is a Brother).  Both were super cheap. I've been on the lookout for a machine for my daughter's friend.  Every time she comes over she comments how she wants a typewriter and she wants her mom to get her one.  I figured I'd try to find her one for Christmas.  I don't want to give her something super collectible, so either of these seemed like a good option.

I went and picked them up yesterday, and I think the Sears will be perfect for her.  The Smith-Corona is okay, but needs lots of cleaning and it takes special small ribbon spools. The Sears, OTOH, is pristine.  I don't know that it's ever been used actually.  Looks like it's never been out of the case.  I had figured whatever I got for her would need some cleaning, but this guy barely needs anything.  Types really well for a cheap 70s machine too.  I'm super pleased with it.  It is cute, a nice color, and in great condition.  I think she will love it!

Here's a link to an album attempting to show how clean it is.  I've never come across a machine this clean before. 

http://imgur.com/a/SCkwS

28-11-2015 16:25:13  #517

Kleine Erika Langen Beinen

This Erika <I must remember to take before photos> was bought mainly on the qualification that she was cheap, and after she arrived with her dried out ribbon and incredibly musty smelling case I'm afraid the first sentence that channeled itself through my fingers on the Ouija board was "Hello. I am the most miserable looking typewriter ever made".

Sorry.

However, when I mentioned her plight Uwe spoke up for her, and I determined to spend some time trying to put her right. As sometimes happens most of the time was mental prep, since once I put her on the bench less than an hour's work was needed. A slipping spool ratchet was solved by comparing the mechanism with the good side, and finding a slack and rather deformed looking torsion spring - the most ticklish part was removing the tiny snap washers holding on the spools without losing them. Lots and LOTS of Fe-breeze and moving air deodorized case and machine, and I finally figured out the lever-free connection to the base (I thought at first it was so cheap that it could not be removed!). Cleaning and oiling were combined with about 3 parts mineral spirits to one part... never mind what kind of oil. I don't want to be told never to use that on a typewriter. Anyway, margin adjustments freed, squeaking of every moving part stopped. Finally, external cleaning, and...

Woohoo! She is now sexy. And has a message for our sponsor...

I think she mainly wanted to show off that she could type on an 8 1/2 x 11" paper sideways. With room to spare.

Thank you, Mr. Uwe.

28-11-2015 17:48:07  #518

The Erika cleaned up nicely Repartee!

My daughter's friend came over today and I went ahead and gave her the typewriter.  She was absolutely thrilled!

28-11-2015 19:22:18  #519

Spazmelda wrote:

The Erika cleaned up nicely Repartee!

Even better than that, it's healthy!

My daughter's friend came over today and I went ahead and gave her the typewriter.  She was absolutely thrilled! 

Spazmelda, thanks for sharing that! That's a wonderful photo. It's refreshing to see not just a disembodied typewriter but an actual human being using it. I like your typewriter collection - or that little corner of it. I believe I can count nine machines, not counting the one your daughter's friend is using. I have a feeling there are more... 

28-11-2015 19:25:42  #520

Took me forever to get in here on my phone.

Today, I got a new to me Olympia De Luxe of some sort  Terra cotta colored body with a serial number of 898619.  The database doesn't list a deluxe under Olympia.  How do I know which it is? Still no computer at the moment. No pictures.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera