You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-11-2015 21:17:51  #521

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Repartee wrote:

Spazmelda wrote:

The Erika cleaned up nicely Repartee!

Even better than that, it's healthy!

My daughter's friend came over today and I went ahead and gave her the typewriter.  She was absolutely thrilled! 

Spazmelda, thanks for sharing that! That's a wonderful photo. It's refreshing to see not just a disembodied typewriter but an actual human being using it. I like your typewriter collection - or that little corner of it. I believe I can count nine machines, not counting the one your daughter's friend is using. I have a feeling there are more... 

Yes, when I say cleaned up nicely I was including the function as well!  Very nice.  Don't you love cleaning and fixing one like that?

I think my collection is up to 23 manuals now (not including the little Sears which is now passed along), and the 2 electrics that are in their cases you can see in the picture I posted. Most of them are displayed on shelves behind where my daughter's friend is sitting so they don't show up in the picture. Then I have two more that I know I am getting as Christmas presents.  One is an Oliver 3 from my mom, and I think my husband has gotten me something because he is being secretive and smug.

Diane- I have no idea how you'd tell what type that is, at least not without a picture.  If you want to email me a pic from your phone I can post it for you.

28-11-2015 21:58:13  #522

beak wrote:

Something less usual; a Brother Deluxe 650 TR with Russian keyboard!  Found it in the local charity shop which sells only things they have scavenged from the local public tip.  That sounds bad; what happens is the council workers at the rubbish tip look out for stuff for them, reclaim it safely and give it to them.

Anyway, this machine has never been used, as far as I can see; there is not the hint on ink on the slugs, and everything (except the case, given the machine's odd recent home) is pristine.  Odd to me that someone would think this object worth nothing other than to be thrown onto a rubbish heap, but there you go.

Unfortunately, the shell is the most revolting shade of hysterical electric terra-cotta orange, so I won't assault your eyes with a photo.  But here's the product...

My Russian is so rusty as to be corroded into an unrecognizable heap, so I'm sure that there are typos, but the theme of creative writing may appeal.

I have my own (weakly remembered) translation, but if any native speaker would favour me with a more natural one, I'd be grateful.

I agree with the other commenters; the Cyrillic typeface is gorgeous. Great find -- I'd love a Russian language machine myself. My own Russian is if anything more rusty that yours, so I only got a little bit of this quote (and yes, I could see the typos even if I didn't recognize the words, but no matter). So who is the quote from?

28-11-2015 23:42:57  #523

Spazmelda wrote:

Yes, when I say cleaned up nicely I was including the function as well!  Very nice.  Don't you love cleaning and fixing one like that?

I am picking up what you are laying down, and if you make that comment again I shall understand it fully. 

And, yes... it is a joy, as I know I must be preaching to the choir. The pleasant surprise to me here is, as I'm sure all before me have discovered, that there is a vast area between "It's broken" and "Better find a professional", and that some very large fraction of machines that are "broken" can be helped by very minor interventions. That's a great pleasure to me - cleaning off some residue, reattaching a draw band, modifying or reattaching a spring - and restoring function. And then there are those that are going to require a little more time, but still seem likely to be repairable by a dedicated amateur. I've already put a few of those aside.

I think my collection is up to 23 manuals now (not including the little Sears which is now passed along), and the 2 electrics that are in their cases you can see in the picture I posted. Most of them are displayed on shelves behind where my daughter's friend is sitting so they don't show up in the picture...

I have studiously avoided counting so far, but I know for office machines I am already out of space - maybe one more can sneak in, and then it will have to be one in/one out. But which?

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

29-11-2015 11:24:42  #524

Here is a picture of Colrehogan's Olympia.  She was asking earlier in the thread which model it is.

29-11-2015 11:25:23  #525

I'm going to say SM3 based on the shape of the case.  I always get the earlier SM models mixed up though!

29-11-2015 12:49:46  #526

It's for sure an SM-3. It lacks the tab set/clear keys next to the keyboard, which is only on an SM-4 with this body style. I have to say that I really like the color of this one! Olympia really does a good job of having the whole typewriter just one color, but it looks like many with all of the different shades.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-11-2015 16:59:19  #527

ztyper wrote:

It's for sure an SM-3. It lacks the tab set/clear keys next to the keyboard, which is only on an SM-4 with this body style. I have to say that I really like the color of this one! Olympia really does a good job of having the whole typewriter just one color, but it looks like many with all of the different shades.

I guess that was a slip of the fingers for "next to the space bar"... which reminds me to get back to my SM-7 with its mangled tab set linkage, still next to the space bar, which seems to be deranging almost every other function of the typewriter.

The other thing 10 minutes of exhaustive internet research came up with was that on SM-4's the "De Luxe" over the keybars has changed to a crowned S.  By both these measures seems indeed to be an SM-3. By Zeitgeist and mis en scene however I'd say it's a 4. It's a proto SM-4 trapped in an SM-3 body. 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

29-11-2015 17:57:01  #528

Repartee wrote:

I guess that was a slip of the fingers for "next to the space bar"...

Yes... yes it was... I'd go back to edit that, buuuut, that little button is never there when it's needed the most.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

29-11-2015 19:46:20  #529

Why was the edit button disabled? I wasn't here for that...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

29-11-2015 21:53:52  #530

I decided to go back and rescue a Royal Dart from the same place as the Olympia.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera