You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-1-2016 20:52:04  #651

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

JoeV wrote:

Errata: "Precious" owner should read "previous."

I rather like "precious owners".  As good as Uwe's "infamous Zephyr".

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

11-1-2016 21:08:24  #652

Oh, and with reference to you comment about touch, I own two SG-1's, one a few years older I suppose, and the touch is completely different. The first is solid but the second has that elegant feel of opposing your finger with just the right amount of force, without shock, that I assume people were going on about and I was talking myself into experiencing when I only had the older, while the newer made a believer out of me! The older one has the same spring loaded key tops which one by one seem to compress with about the same spring constant as the newer machine, so it's not obvious where the difference lies. It's like Shemp to the other one's Curly! If SG-1's were slapstick comedians, which of course they are not. Everyone knows they are very serious.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

13-1-2016 12:38:29  #653

Spazmelda wrote:

Hermes Regent next to a Hermes 3000:

Spazmelda: WOW!! I've always thought it would be fun to try and Ambassador (the Regent) but I can tell you right now I don't have room! Also, it looks like it might break my table. 

13-1-2016 15:32:09  #654

LOL Kat.  I delivered it to its new home today.  It's not really as heavy as it appears. 

14-1-2016 13:39:45  #655

colrehogan wrote:

Found the serial number for my L.C. Smith on the previous page.  It is 441670-8, which makes it made in 1922.

I just noticed that I misread that year, so it should be 1921.  This machine is at the repair shop for platen, feed rollers, and paper finger roller.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

14-1-2016 14:12:00  #656

Are they putting a new platen on? I just sent 3 platens and a feed roller out for recovering by JJ Short.  That's going to be a hefty bill when it comes.

14-1-2016 15:44:57  #657

Spaz, have you gotten any done by them yet? I wonder how much of a difference it really makes...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

15-1-2016 05:29:29  #658

Yes, I've had one done and I was anxious to have enough funds to have more done.  I'm spending Christmas money to get these 3 done.  It makes a big difference.  They do a good job.

15-1-2016 12:00:24  #659

Spazmelda wrote:

Are they putting a new platen on? I just sent 3 platens and a feed roller out for recovering by JJ Short.  That's going to be a hefty bill when it comes.

I don't recall right this second.  However, I will ask.  It may be a re-covering.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-1-2016 10:25:39  #660

Yesterday I bought this:

1926 Remington 12
Believe me when I say this thing is MINT
I might have paid a bit on the high side for one of these but it's a nice one so it was worth it.
The owner of the store also gave me a free (but broken) IBM Selectric 1.
There were also two Hermes Rockets but I passed on them.

My blog - Just Typewriters

Board footera