You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-1-2016 16:23:53  #681

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I just bought me a wonderful Bennett (Well, I hope the deal still goes through... We will find out tomorrow)
PICTURES TO COME!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

29-1-2016 21:29:27  #682

Heres the sellers photo:
Note to self, or  anyone for that matter:
If you are in the US, try and avoid buying from Canada. It cost almost $50 JUST to ship this 5 lb machine above!

Back from a long break.

29-1-2016 23:57:12  #683

BangoDeschain wrote:

Picked up this beauty for $5 the other day at a house I was installing a radon system in that also happened to be having an estate sale. Cleaned it up a bit after the photo was taken and slapped a new ribbon in for good measure. The typing is great and all the bells and whistles still work so very happy with my investment! Talk about "Jeweled Escapement"!! ohh, la, la!

Good deal for a Classic 12, they're solid machines  I've passed up hundreds of them, but did pick one up a little bit ago because it was a bit too hard for me to pass up, especially at the price...

JP Huard

30-1-2016 00:01:23  #684

Daveyp wrote:

I'll post better pictures once I get it cleaned up, but I recently found this locally. 1949 Gold Royal Quiet De Luxe.

Very nice! I was wondering when that would get scooped up off craigslist, had half a mind to try and send my sister after it but she was a bit too far out (Caltech with no car). Should be a great machine both to look at and use I have two of that body style QDL, one grey/black and one all grey but they're not super accessible at the moment or recent so I'd feel bad sharing a pic here, but here's the QDL my girlfriend gave me as a gift tonight

JP Huard

30-1-2016 00:04:27  #685

I'm a sucker for Corona's and have been trying to collect most of the variations of the Corona Four, this was a Christmas present from my girlfriend  It's one of many projects I'll have to complete in due time, but for now, I can at least say I do have a cream colored one

JP Huard

30-1-2016 00:10:49  #686

I'm also a sucker for the more uncommon/rare machines, and this showed up yesterday (a week late for my girlfriend's birthday)... Needless to say, she was pretty pleased 

I got her another one of these animal key machines a few months ago as a gamble (the animal keytops were not visible, I was hoping they would be under the replacement tops but they weren't), and having this one should really facilitate the restoration of the other one. The other one is the gloss black flat top body these are typically seen with, and this one is the only green one that has surfaced to date.

About a week after I gave her the other one, she just had to one up me with my bucket list machine, a music keys Corona portable. Turns out this one is also one of one that has surfaced with this body/paint style, hence my having to really step up my game with the animal keys machine.

JP Huard

30-1-2016 02:28:09  #687

That's pretty neat, JP!

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

30-1-2016 08:16:01  #688

I have always wanted a flat top corona!

I happen to love that color on your Royal. I have a Royal speed king in the same color.

Back from a long break.

30-1-2016 09:21:07  #689

snoname wrote:

BangoDeschain wrote:

Picked up this beauty for $5 the other day at a house I was installing a radon system in that also happened to be having an estate sale. Cleaned it up a bit after the photo was taken and slapped a new ribbon in for good measure. The typing is great and all the bells and whistles still work so very happy with my investment! Talk about "Jeweled Escapement"!! ohh, la, la!

Good deal for a Classic 12, they're solid machines  I've passed up hundreds of them, but did pick one up a little bit ago because it was a bit too hard for me to pass up, especially at the price...

Who can explain what the deal is with this machine?? I think there is one like it pictured at the Machines of Loving Grace site also. I mean, 10 keys only, and with Greek (mathematical, presumably) symbols?

30-1-2016 10:57:27  #690

The Invicta MP1. It has a big ding on the top right but it doesn't afftect the typing at all. What does affect the typing is a busted mainspring that went when I was typing a line of text. I spent some time trying to get the tangled drawstring back on until I realised that the mainspring was gone. Since I don't have the tools or the inclination to fix it, the Invicta is a drawing machine for the time being. I like the geared type bars, though for typing text, the action is a bit like running barefoot on the pavement. Note the Icelandic characters. I love those!

Board footera