You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-2-2016 14:38:06  #701

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Daveyp and Spazmelda - very nice! Both extremely pretty. Spazmelda, how does that Primus feel? I've sold my Adler Special - just no room - but for a while I was trying hard to get one of these smaller models to do a comparison...

My latest purchase is a £10 Splendid 66 that needs serious degunking to get rid of what appears to be half a bottle of WD40. I'm not e en sure why I bought it. Well, it's cute. It's a black one. 

06-2-2016 14:47:52  #702

Kat- It feels really nice to type on.  Something strange though...  with the original ribbon it typed fine (though very faint).  With a new ribbon, on black setting, it cuts off the top of the uppercase letters. I wound the new ribbon onto the old spools and it is a little better, but still sometimes cuts the tops off. It almost seems as if the ribbon is not quite wide enough.  Did Adlers have a special ribbon width?  I haven't googled extensively to dig into this.

06-2-2016 17:50:31  #703

Spazmelda wrote:

Did Adlers have a special ribbon width? 

​No, not unless you go back to models that were made during the first decade of the 20th century such as the Adler 7. They used 25 mm ribbon, but your machine uses standard 13 mm ribbon. I've loaded generic ribbon and spools in all of my Adler portables from the '50s without any issues. Are you sure that the ribbon path is correct? And that the vibrator is moving freely? It looks like something changed when you swapped ribbons. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-2-2016 18:49:02  #704

Well, I put the old ribbon back in, and it worked okay.  Then I wound the new ribbon on the old spools, but it doesn't seem like it quite fills the width of the spool up, if that makes sense.  Which is why I was wondering if the old ribbon was a bit wider.  It must be something with how the ribbon is traveling.  Maybe the old ribbon slid better because it was dryer, but the inkier new ribbon is dragging or something, and I need to adjust the vibrator.  I'll investigate it tomorrow.  Thanks for the info.

06-2-2016 21:25:50  #705

I got my Bennett! Im uploading photos tomorrow, its late. Lets just say I took it apart.... A little too much....

But I got it back together again, and it can type fast!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

07-2-2016 08:04:26  #706

Finally, here is the picture! Some screws that I unscrewed and put back in the mechanism must have settled last night and became loose, because the wheel is getting stuck now. It is the simplest typewriter I have ever seen. Really.

Back from a long break.

07-2-2016 09:45:01  #707

Details about dissembly: http://lancastertypewriter.weebly.com/blog

Back from a long break.

07-2-2016 10:44:43  #708

Very interesting machine TWG.  I'd love to see a video of it in action.

07-2-2016 10:49:33  #709

Don't worry, Ive found the problem, and Ill probably take a video later. Its amazing, really.

Back from a long break.

07-2-2016 12:47:08  #710

Cool, I look forward to it.

As for the Adler, Uwe was right, of course.  As is usually the case with ribbon issues, it was threaded incorrectly.  Duh.

Board footera