You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-2-2016 18:00:15  #721

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

The escapement wheel with the teeth? On most models it is held in place with two screws. Those may have become loose, but to tighten them you must remove the carriage.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

09-2-2016 20:10:41  #722

TypewriterGuy wrote:

The escapement wheel with the teeth? On most models it is held in place with two screws. Those may have become loose, but to tighten them you must remove the carriage.

I'm not sure what arrangement you're describing, but it's nothing like those found in an Olympia SF-based typewriters that use a single bolt with a shaft bearing configuration. I suppose that it's possible that the bolt is loose, or the bearings are really worn, but I hate to make such guesses without knowing for certain what Kat means by the "daisy wheel" and it being "detached".

I would love to see a photo of the cream and turquoise paint though, unless that is the machine's case is cream-coloured and it's only some of the control that are turquoise, because that's is a combination I'm familiar with:  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

09-2-2016 20:17:37  #723

Ive never owned an olympia, and the only carriages I have removed had those style escapments.  I would think that its certainly possible for the bolt to be loose, if it had a rough shipping life sometime in its life, maybe the escarpment took a beating and the bolt hole stripped and expanded a little?

Back from a long break.

10-2-2016 08:20:18  #724

Uwe, it just looks like yours - I was using what I assumed would be an understandable shorthand description. The thing that's happening underneath is that whatever is holding the toothed wheel in place - the bolt, presumably - has clearly come out of place, because the toothed wheel, that usually controls the movement of the carriage, is loose, and is moving freely - within the confines of the small space in which it's trapped, of course. 

I haven't tried to do anything about it yet. 

Valiant, I bought it for £10 off a young guy who described it accurately to the extent of his understanding! I took a punt, and though I cold tell the carriage wasn't moving I also thought it could be something to do with the unbelievable amounts of WD40 the whole thing was coated with. 'Only a tenner', I thought. Because I've been hankering after a black 66. I have to stop doing this.

10-2-2016 10:55:01  #725

KatLondon wrote:

The thing that's happening underneath is that whatever is holding the toothed wheel in place - the bolt, presumably - has clearly come out of place, because the toothed wheel, that usually controls the movement of the carriage, is loose, and is moving freely - within the confines of the small space in which it's trapped,

Sounds like it might be a relatively easy fix, which would of course make your £10 a good investment. For some reason -  I haven't been able to figure out why - the Splendid models sell for obscenely large amounts and have to be the most expensive of the Olympia ultra-portable models. I've only come across one escapement issue with the couple of dozen SF machines that I've handled, and it was a case of frozen bearings as a result of old, congealed oil/grease, which is a maintenance issue as opposed to a design weakness. Good luck in getting your Splendid working, as Valiant pointed out, they really are nice typewriters.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-2-2016 14:04:03  #726

Here's hoping, Uwe! My little 33 I got for only £13, so not doing too badly, though it did need a few fixes. It's a little beauty. The thing is that, for an ultra-portable, they do weigh a bit of a ton. But they're lovely things. It may be a phase but lately I find that I really do prefer smaller machine. I'm in love with the Gromas; the Modell T, eg, is much smaller and sort of neater than the Hermes 300, which by comparison seems to be sort of melting. The 2000 is smaller and has that (in my book anyway) wonderful Hermes touch, and I don't mind the carriage shift. It increasingly revolves around these three makes for me.

10-2-2016 14:15:23  #727

Hello Kat !  Your problem is caused by one of two things.  If you are lucky, the escapement wheel pivot has unscrewed itself from the machine's cast frame, leaving the escapement wheel to flap about.  If you are unlucky, the pivot will have broken clean off.  It does sound like the latter.  Remove the bottom plate so that you can see underneath the machine.  Look at the escapement area and you should see the lock nut that prevents the escapement wheel pivot from coming undone.  If it is present, the chances are that the pivot is broken off higher up.  If you cannot see the nut - just a threaded hole - you might be in with a chance.  To get proper access, you need to take the carriage off its rails.  There is a work-around which does not involve having to do this.  You need to remove the platen, paper pan and feedrolls.  There are a couple of holes in the bottom of the carriage which will line up with the escapement wheel pivot.  If the pivot has simply unscrewed itself, you can access the screwdriver slot lining it up with one of the holes.  Screw it back into place, and then you will have to find a lock nut to fit the end of the pivot from underneath to prevent it coming loose again.  I hope this helps 

10-2-2016 18:41:37  #728

Oof! Thanks, this is sort of what I thought. And very helpful.  I will do it, as it will also be a practice run for that other 33 I have that needs help - & is I think probably less extreme. But I'd rather get this one working, frankly. 

10-2-2016 19:13:37  #729

We're getting off-topic for this thread, but this might help you. I've never tried going through the carriage as Tom suggested, but then again I usually remove the escapement wheel so so I can clean and oil its bearings.

10-2-2016 19:38:47  #730

Im getting a Royal Standard 1 (Yes, the FIRST ever model Royal made) and possibly an early Underwood 5....

So the luck strikes again...

Back from a long break.

Board footera