You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-2-2016 22:37:18  #731

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

No need to rub it in... 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

11-2-2016 06:08:25  #732

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

11-2-2016 12:45:46  #733

Thanks Uwe, that's a great picture. Surely though it is a picture of 'going in through the carriage'? I'm on my way out to work so no rush! I'll have a closer read of everything later.

11-2-2016 16:23:05  #734

KatLondon wrote:

Surely though it is a picture of 'going in through the carriage'?

No, I had removed the carriage when I took that photo. Going through the carriage as Tom described involves removing the platen, paper pan and the rollers it houses from the carriage. Once those parts are out of the way you would be able to see the top of the escapement and be able to get a screwdriver on it. It's probably a safer method for someone not familiar with removing a carriage and dealing with its ball retainers. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2016 22:49:35  #735

Here's a not-so-great picture of my latest. Craigslist has been very good to me lately. This one was buried in an ad for mid-century furniture.

Los Angeles, CA

12-2-2016 08:41:47  #736

That is beautiful Davey!

13-2-2016 16:35:59  #737

I got a very early Royal Standard 1 flatbed!!

It has the R on the sides instead of ROYAL.

The serial number is either filed down, or theres just too much rust, but on the frame the serial number is in the early 1000s...

Back from a long break.

13-2-2016 21:55:01  #738

That Torpedo is sooo pretty, it hurts...

And TypewriterGuy, I hope that Royal is early, it'd be pretty cool if it was! (Tell us how the touch is, I've never heard how it is on the first Royals)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-2-2016 02:29:47  #739

New Royal Speed-King came in the mail yesterday  

JP Huard

14-2-2016 07:35:12  #740

The touch is wonderful! Still a few things to work out, as there was ALOT of that powdery surface rust when I got it, all in the type basket, so I have been loading it with CLR. The escapement was just as bad, and the CLR made it a little worse because it won't even turn now, so Ive gotta take that off.

Anyways, heres my before photo (It looks a lot better now). I removed almost all of that rust on the nickel. Surprisingly, the platen and feed rollers are the softest I have ever seen. I saw a number on the frame in the early 1000s, and I think thats the serial number. Its missing the 0 key (Found a replacement), broken platen knob (Found a replacement), and missing part of the ribbon mechanism (Found a replacement). Oh, and a ribbon spool. But for $20, it was a steal. My first flatbed royal...

Back from a long break.

Board footera