You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-2-2016 08:24:43  #741

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Don't forget the tin foil and water treatment for removing rust from chromium/nickel plate.  Works a treat and with no damage.

Sincerely,
beak.

14-2-2016 09:00:38  #742

Im trying to take off the carriage... Ill let you know how it turns out.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

14-2-2016 10:50:25  #743

beak wrote:

Don't forget the tin foil and water treatment for removing rust from chromium/nickel plate.  Works a treat and with no damage.

How do you do a tin foil and water treatment?

14-2-2016 11:13:14  #744

This isn't really a new acquisition, but it feels like it.  This is the Turquoise QDL that I got a while back.  It was a great deal, because it didn't work.  I thought/hoped it would be an easy fix, but it was not.  I finally gave up and took it to Richard Polt and he got it working very quickly. He fixed the escapement and reinstalled the spring in the ribbon vibrator.  I'm so happy to have it back and working finally!

14-2-2016 12:55:18  #745

SoucekFan wrote:

How do you do a tin foil and water treatment?

​Don't forget to try the forum's search tool, it  works great!

http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=5100#p5100

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-2-2016 14:02:54  #746

TypewriterGuy, is the touch anything like the Royal 10? I'm sorry for asking, but I'm just so curious because I want one so badly...

And snoname, that Royal is sooo beautiful!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-2-2016 14:08:11  #747

Id say it types just like a Royal 10, or anything else thats early. Right now its having some escapement issues...

By the way, anyone know anything that will dissolve rust in tight areas? The type bars have some rust in the segments.... And parts of the escapement...
CLR isn't really working...

Back from a long break.

14-2-2016 14:23:19  #748

Hmm... for surface rust, I just use some PB Blaster, let it sit for a few minutes or more, and then wipe (or vigorously rub depending how bad it is) it off with a rag. That's how I cleaned my SC Clipper, but I'm not sure it it's be a good idea for the segment. Though if it's really that bad, I'm sure anything you do will help not harm. 

And what seems to be wrong with the escapement? (perhaps it would be better if we took this topic to the repair/maintenance side before continuing...)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-2-2016 15:10:23  #749

I got the escapement fixed. I thought the parts were supposed to be black, and when I sprayed some degreaser on the parts, I rubbed a few parts, and they were nickel plated. It was just a grease issue! Of course.

Back from a long break.

15-2-2016 15:47:57  #750

Haha... haha...

oops

really, I'm sorry, but it was a good deal, and now I have a full line of Royals!

Back from a long break.

Board footera