You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-6-2016 19:13:26  #911

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

TK:

No knob on rx of machine.  Here's the serial:

AG 2549042-R

Matt says the R indicates special order.

08-6-2016 19:19:30  #912

This could be what Royal called "Contemporary Elite," which was a sans serif.

http://munk.org/typecast/2011/04/24/1964-nomda-blue-book-royal-font-styles/

08-6-2016 19:27:35  #913

TK--right you are. My reading of the database says it's a '52. Thanks for catching that!  With the date and typeface it makes it different enough from my baby blue later 50s QD to justify as a keeper.

11-6-2016 19:49:42  #914

Caught in the wilds--$21 Olympia and I think it's SM about 1957? Serial # 1168050. No case. Purchased new ribbon. Types well. Margins work. Haven't messed with tabs yet, don't know how to set them on this machine, will read up.  This gives me my Olympia SM for my wish list.  My first caught-in-the-wild find--from a thrift shop.

11-6-2016 20:11:49  #915

It's a 1958 SM3. No question about it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-6-2016 23:15:13  #916

You may have amended this since your picture, but your ribbon is not threaded correctly. You can find the user manual here, for details on this and other basics:
http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-manuals.html

12-6-2016 03:40:10  #917

Uwe, just out of curiosity, how can you tell it's a 1958? As opposed to, say, a 1957?

Very pretty machine. pdxtyewriter, the way you can tell it's an SM3 and not an SM4 is because the space bar doesn't have automatic Tab sets at the ends. And the SM2 had no Tab function, and also a smaller return lever, that curled upward. (Also, on the earlier ones the Olympia logo was on the paper table, not the ribbon cover).

Did it come with its fantastic silver wooden case?

12-6-2016 08:56:17  #918

SoucekFan wrote:

You may have amended this since your picture, but your ribbon is not threaded correctly. You can find the user manual here, for details on this and other basics:
http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-manuals.html

Thank you, yes--I figured that out, eventually. But it's also nice to have the link to the manual .  I appreciate it!

12-6-2016 08:59:54  #919

KatLondon wrote:

Uwe, just out of curiosity, how can you tell it's a 1958? As opposed to, say, a 1957?

Very pretty machine. pdxtyewriter, the way you can tell it's an SM3 and not an SM4 is because the space bar doesn't have automatic Tab sets at the ends. And the SM2 had no Tab function, and also a smaller return lever, that curled upward. (Also, on the earlier ones the Olympia logo was on the paper table, not the ribbon cover).

Did it come with its fantastic silver wooden case?

I think it's dated 58 because of the serial number on the TWDatabase.  Sadly--no case. But for $21 I was not about to have that stop me from taking it home . This machine is on my 6 machine want list, so I'm a happy typer. 

12-6-2016 22:16:12  #920

$21 for an SM-3? Not bad at all! Though just today I snagged this one for just $20...

An Underwood SX made in January, 1954. I picked it up today from someone's house in my town because I didn't have any money on me when I saw it at a local church sale. It's in extremely good condition considering it hasn't been used since the 1970's. All I did was get some of the grime that I could get to out and lightly oil the escapement. This is the first standard that I've found that has everything working. I mean everything. It even has my favorite size typeface: pica! Though the real deal of the year, is that I got some actual typewriter tools from the same guy. Never thought I'd actually own any, and I still don't know what they're all for. But I'll post more about that later.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera