You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-6-2016 22:51:18  #921


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Good weekend for both of us. Great looking standard!

ztyper wrote:

$21 for an SM-3? Not bad at all! Though just today I snagged this one for just $20...
An Underwood SX made in January, 1954. I picked it up today from someone's house in my town because I didn't have any money on me when I saw it at a local church sale. It's in extremely good condition considering it hasn't been used since the 1970's. All I did was get some of the grime that I could get to out and lightly oil the escapement. This is the first standard that I've found that has everything working. I mean everything. It even has my favorite size typeface: pica! Though the real deal of the year, is that I got some actual typewriter tools from the same guy. Never thought I'd actually own any, and I still don't know what they're all for. But I'll post more about that later.

 

 

13-6-2016 11:30:03  #922


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I keep falling behind with posting recent buys, but during this past week I added a 1943 Erika 5 Tabulator and a 1967 Olympia SG3 to the collection. The SG3 has a transition colour scheme that I think was short lived, but still looks quite good with its charcoal keys and deep green accents.

     •Thread Starter
 

13-6-2016 17:13:32  #923


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles green accents on the shift keys and the platen knobs.  


A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.
 

13-6-2016 17:28:28  #924


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

VERY pretty! 

 

13-6-2016 22:07:37  #925


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Yes indeed -- I've never seen that variation before! (And you seem to always find the SGs with the paper rests too....) I really like the looks of this one -- the green is rather whimsical.

 

13-6-2016 22:17:00  #926


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

I should also report that I got a 1950 Royal Arrow, gray color. I saw it at a tag sale, with scuffed "tweed" case and a plastic cover also, a week ago Saturday. It was too rich for my blood at $60 but I sent them a note a couple of days later and we agreed on $25 for it, which is perhaps a tad high. I picked it up today and it's a nice little machine -- elite font size, which is a nice bonus in my book.  It needs cleaning and a new ribbon, but it's all working as is. The typing action is very pleasant. The only thing is that the paper guide is too loose -- I would like to figure out a way to form it somehow to keep it from sliding.

 

14-6-2016 04:23:07  #927


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Uwe, I am green with jealousy about your fine SG-3! What hidden fonts of writing machines slake your thirst?

And elite type, too. Anything notable about the typeface?


"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".
 

14-6-2016 11:10:37  #928


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Fleetwing wrote:

...you seem to always find the SGs with the paper rests too

Ha! I have been lucky of late, but trust me when I say that too many of my SG models are missing their paper rests.

Repartee wrote:

And elite type, too. Anything notable about the typeface?

Nothing special about the typeface, just the standard #87 Olympia elite. That sounded bad. It's a nice typeface, very legible and practical, and perfect for my needs, so to say there's nothing special about it isn't fair; it's just a more common typeface would be a better way to describe it.

I'm of two minds when it comes to the pica versus elite conversation. I tend to gravitate toward elite-sized type, but only because I can pack more words to the page, but elite slugs are far more resistant to cleaning and requires a finer pen to edit, so pica has its allure too.

An as-found type sample before slug cleaning and a fresh ribbon. It looks much better now.

 
To illustrate the importance of clean slugs and a good ribbon, here's a type sample from the Erika 5 that I also recently bought:

     •Thread Starter
 

14-6-2016 11:47:18  #929


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Uwe wrote:

What is the character after the asterisk? The one that looks like a series of dots. Is that for striking over errors?
 

 

14-6-2016 12:15:04  #930


Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

SoucekFan wrote:

What is the character after the asterisk? The one that looks like a series of dots. Is that for striking over errors? 

This previous post explains it.

     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera