You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-7-2016 10:22:07  #981

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Rebuilt Woodstock models have a sticker on them (back left corner), which is why I assumed that the panels enclosing the machine's case were added later on. If not that, then the database is incorrect about the year that enclosed models were first produced.

Have a fun and safe trip. Don't forget to take the bear spray, and a typewriter...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-7-2016 07:16:28  #982

Picked up a nice little SC Silent model portable with the grey crinkle. Boy, they have WONDERFUL action! I didn't notice the missing ? key until I left the store... At least its not a major key... So now Ive got to find a replacement.

Found a note in it from the 1880s.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

23-7-2016 13:47:13  #983

Finally and BOY, the body is big! I've always been on the fence with the 3000. Some days, I like it, some days not. IMO, this machine is snappier and least stiff than my Hermes 2000. Easy on my fingers. I got lucky because the condition is in great working order. Per photo, because I was dying to try it out, I didn't do much clean up. So far, the only thing that needed attention: Left margin wasn't working correctly. Cleaned and its now working. Both front feed rollers were cracked vertically from end to end so it didn't feed properly. Since I'm not familiar with this model and it's working well otherwise, I decided not to remove the platen. Instead I decided to test repair the feed rollers with black color Sugru (first time using this on feed rollers). I allowed it to cure for 24 hrs per instructions and it turned out decent and the paper is feeding correctly. I will be testing it more this weekend followed by a deeper interior and exterior shine. Would I recommend this? YES! 

http://imgur.com/a/Rm42Z

01-8-2016 17:12:03  #984

I recently got this ca. 1922 Underwood 46 "Semitic" model for Hebrew and Yiddish. It is the single most badass writing instrument of the machine age, in my opinion. It has 46 keys to accommodate all of the additional letters, and the carriage had to be reversed in order to type from right to left. 

Since it is so unusual and rare (I can't find any information on it at all on the interwebs), I decided to make a separate thread for it here.

14-8-2016 00:43:45  #985

After such a long time of searching online on ebay, and sifting through the trash at flea markets, I finally have the archetype of all typewriters: the Underwood No. 5

This thing ain't very pretty. It's missing parts like the paper guide and the left platen knob is busted so that there is none. From the looks of it, it's been redone sometime during the 50's judging from the decal on the paper table that matches the one on my 1953 Underwood SX-100. I'm a bit upset that it doesn't have the original Underwood decals, but the plain and battered look gives the typewriter some character. Apparently it's spent the last 22 years as a prop in a golf shop, and on top of that it's from 1910 which makes it the second oldest typewriter in my collection. So typing is rough even after I spent a few hours cleaning it up, but I'll have to put a few more in to get it working again. But now I finally know what people are talking about when they say the Underwood is solid and sturdy. This thing is definitely a trooper to last this long.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-8-2016 16:25:24  #986

You can always find--somewhere--another Underwood model 5 for parts, and, hopefully, something with the original decals on the back paper rest, and a left platen knob that's in good shape.  Don't throw that one away or sell it.  Pretty soon, even these commonplace machines will get steadily rarer and rarer--a tough lesson I have had to learn several times.  It hurts, believe me.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-8-2016 23:38:26  #987

Oh believe me, I won't be throwing this one away any time soon. Took me nearly 2 years to get my first Underwood #5, a typewriter that I should have located pretty quickly. Maybe some of the parts that I need will pop up on ebay, but I can only hope.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

15-8-2016 15:08:18  #988

Picked up a Bulgarian machine yesterday, which internally is a redux Keller & Knappich Princess.

1981 Typewriters Works Maritsa 22

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-8-2016 19:36:18  #989

Sweet!

~Joe

17-8-2016 11:30:25  #990

I trust you'll name it "Countess Maritsa"? (An operetta by Emerich Kalman from 1924 -- OK, it's actually "Maritza" but that's close enough!) 

Looks like a nice machine.

Board footera