You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-4-2021 18:48:58  #1

Olivetti Studio 45 Platen Knub removal

Hello all,

I'm new to the site. I've got an Olivetti Studio 45 that I would like to remove the platen from so I can send it off to be recovered. I have no problem getting the right knob off, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the left knob off. Does anyone know how to do this?

Kurt

06-4-2021 03:27:41  #2

Re: Olivetti Studio 45 Platen Knub removal

The left knob should unscrew, complete with ratchet and freehead.  It is probably stuck and you will need to find a way of gripping the platen tightly to stop it turning whilst you unscrew the knob.

06-4-2021 08:32:30  #3

Thanks for the advice. Is it a normal clockwise thread or counter clockwise?

Kurt

06-4-2021 11:46:20  #4

Hi Kurt

Welcome to the forum. If memory serves me correctly, it's a right hand thread. What makes these knobs seem so tight is a tapered fit into the platen. Once you can overcome the friction of the taper, the knob spins out quite easily. Suggest setting the line space selector zero so the detent disengages from the ratchet. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

06-4-2021 23:15:24  #5

Sky,

Thanks for the tip. I was turning it the wrong way. It came off easily.

Kurt

Board footera