You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2021 18:11:36  #1

Is there anyone who can service old Royal Signet type writers?

Is there anyone who can service old Royal Signet type writers?
I have a signet 40 that the margins won't reset on.
The manual says that the battery installed by the factory will save the settings for the margins for 5 years, well, it's about 35 years old. So yeah... and the margins won't reset manually. So I need to see if there is anyone capable  of servicing it.

30-4-2021 22:50:14  #2

Re: Is there anyone who can service old Royal Signet type writers?

Hi Stache

By your description of the machine having a battery, I'm assuming this is a print wheel electronic typewriter. As for where to take it to have it fixed, giving your location as in country, state, province or county and your nearest city is a real help as it enables the members on this forum to better assist you in your request.

Do you know if the battery can easily be replaced, or will it take dismantling of the machine to access the battery? As for the name of the typewriter, Royal used that name on at least 3 different eras of typewriter. The first Signet that I'm aware of was the stripped down model sold during the depression era in the 1930's. The name Signet was also used on the 1970's re-branded Silver-Reed machines and evidently on the 1980's electronic units like yours.

The ball is in your court now, so give us a little more information and we'll see what we can do for you. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

03-5-2021 09:33:59  #3

I live in Denver. But I can ship this to anyone if they know how to fix it.

03-5-2021 10:57:46  #4

Looks like there are a few typewriter repair shops in the Denver area.
Phil Forrest

03-5-2021 13:43:09  #5

Looks like there are none in the Denver area. I doubt a vacuum repair shop will know how to fix a electric typewriter from the late 1980's

03-5-2021 18:22:50  #6

Try this link.
https://bfy.tw/Qr7y
Then maybe try Selectech. The guy I spoke to sounded both knowledgeable and nice to work with.
Phil Forrest

03-5-2021 19:05:29  #7

From Richard Polt's listing on his web site : 

Colorado

• AAA Sew Vac East, 6435 E Evans Ave., Denver, CO, 80222. (303) 759-4139. http://aaasewvaceast.com. Owner Sam Murib is featured in this news story.
  • Tony's Power Systems, 1130 South Santa Fe Drive, Denver, CO 80223, 720-389-6997.
  • Darwin Raymond, Raymond's Office Machines, 927 Grand Ave., Glenwood Springs, CO 81601. (970) 945-5872. Read a story about this shop. Here is another.
  • Previously Arrow Office Products service/repair department, now Plum's Repair, Longmont, CO. 303-503-0704, plumsrepair@gmail.com. "My name is Lowell Plum. I have serviced typewriters and various office machines for over 40 years. Yes, we still service typewriters, manuals and electric. Most makes and models. There has been a resurgence of interest in antique and vintage manual typewriters. I specialize in repairing, cleaning, oiling, and refurbishing these antique and vintage typewriters. As well as today's state of the art digital/laser/multifunction machines, printers, table top copiers, faxes, shredders and much more. I've been told, you can fix anything. My reply is: except a broken heart or the crack of dawn. I specialize in IBM/Lexmark Selectric/Wheelwriter typewriters. We have hundreds of New Old Stock (NOS) IBM Selectric Parts. I also have 75-100 Selectrics as parts machines. Please contact me for any of your Selectric typewriter parts or repair needs."

04-5-2021 00:20:14  #8

Hi Again Stache

Your machine may still be new enough that an office equipment repair shop in your area may still have the know-how to repair a print-wheel typewriter. It's not going to cost you anything to drop them and e-mail, or maybe even give them a phone call if they're in your local area. If they can't help you, they should at least point you in the direction of someone who can. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera