You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-5-2021 08:14:51  #1

Skippy the Sterling

Just picked up a nice 59 S-C Sterling that is pretty clean and almost smooth as butter...except for the random skipping. I don't see a pattern except that the e seems to do it most,  but that's probably because the e is so frequently used. It has also happened after t, u, 2, a q, w, h, at least, and upper and lower case so it seems like a random issue.

I watched this video 

And almost everything that I can check, checks out ok. I did not do the space bar checks that he does because I don't have a problem with my space bar. I haven't noticed an skipping after spaces either.

The escapement seems to trip at the right point on all of the keys, just as the type slug enters the type guide. One difference I noticed is that at 6:00 he checks the typebar universal bracket and it has a very slight amount of play in it, while mine does not. But he doesn't explain exactly how to adjust that (and I don't have the repair bible, yet) and I'm reluctant to tamper without knowing exactly what I'm doing first. I'm also not sure I have proper tools to get at the upper (lower in the video) lock not and adjusting screw.  I also want to make sure that people here think this might actually be the problem before trying to adjust it, or if there are other simple things I should check first that aren't explained in the video. 

25-5-2021 09:09:22  #2

Re: Skippy the Sterling

If you're speaking of the upper locknut and adjuster which are seen in the still image of the video clip, those have nothing to do with escapement movement. If you're mentioning another adjustment and locknut, my bad.
You are going to want to ensure the machine is as clean as it can be before diagnosing the skipping problem. Especially the segment and the typebars since tripping of the escapement keys off the movement of the typebar. Once your whole machine is clean, paying attention to the segment and escapement, you should stick in a page then type a full single line of every letter and look for skipping patterns. If your escapement star wheel is chipped, you'll see regular patterns of skipping. If it's chipped in more than one place, this can get more frustrating. If your escapement ratchet pawl is chipped, binding or loose, you'll get intermittent skipping if your star wheel is in good condition. The escapement ratchet sits between pivot points, and the depth of engagement with the star wheel can be adjusted. You may notice that this can joggle side to side. If this is the case, the ratchet must be adjusted until it has no side to side play but still will move easily and fall with gravity. Unfortunately, this and the star wheel are the parts that suffer the most when a machine is improperly packed and shipped. Feel free to PM me. Good luck.

Phil Forrest

25-5-2021 14:41:37  #3

he points right at 2 of the 4 locknuts and adjusting screws that I'm referring to (he calls them fulcrum screws) on the universal typebar bracket, starting at 5:58. He points at the upper one first (which is lower in the video cuz upside-down) which is the one that might be tricky for me without new tools. He doesn't fully explain what the book says about it but since the video was about extra spaces I presume that his point is that if there isn't some play in it, skipping might result.

The machine looks remarkably clean and there is no sticking at all but I'll clean it anyway before proceeding.

25-5-2021 15:15:08  #4

That universal typebar bracket is usually secondary in diagnosing this. If it is binding, you'll not get intermittent skips, but regular (sometimes every other character) skips. What you want to do is concentrate on what he's talking about at 6:59, the escapement rocker/ratchet, which was what I mentioned in my previous post.
Make sure to inspect every tooth of the star wheel for chips, burrs, bends, etc. Those teeth need to be near perfect or you'll be looking for a new one with a matching number of teeth (number of teeth establishes the character spacing.)
There is a little piece of rubber in there which may have turned to glue, slowing down the escapement pawl. The easiest way to fix this is to unhook the spring he mentions, leave the right side locknut where it is and loosen the left side locknut and pivot screw. Try not to completely remove them as they are very difficult to get back in if you are not a cephalopod. Back the pivot out as far as you can while still leaving it in the thread then push the escapement side to side until it drops out, if it needs help. Clean the right pivot point now and clean it again when you reinstall the escapement. While the escapement is out, find an old thin bicycle inner tube (not flat resistant) and cut a very small rectangle, about 10mm x 5mm to replace the 70 year old rubber in there. Match the size of the rubber. If this piece that is in the machine has turned to glue, it will delay the pawl from engaging the star wheel, causing skipping. If it has become tough or shrunk or turned to stone, it can also delay the pawl from engaging. Regardless, the escapement needs to be taken apart, cleaned like a Marine DI was wanting it for a necklace for their sweetheart, the rubber replaced, then all put back together. When you get it back into the chassis, you want zero side to side play in the escapement. That said, you also want this piece to naturally fall with the force of gravity. Getting the adjustment right can be a pain in the butt because the locknut thread lash will effectively pull the pivot out of the escapement by a hair, causing side to side play. Although this is a big pain, it's worth it to do it all fully and correctly in the end. I think I've done like 12 of these now. Once you get it in, spring hooked back up, and properly moving the carriage, you may have to adjust the timing and pawl engagement, which is done by "cold setting" (bending) the tabs on the escapement. Don't do this until you have everything perfectly clean and operating reasonably well. One thing not mentioned is that the typewriter is meant to be used correct side down, so when you turn it on its back, it may not want to play nice as the bearings in the carriage rail will be loaded differently. I had one of these that had an escapement issue which spontaneously resolved itself when the machine was on its back and could not be reproduced unless sitting normally on a table. I don't own a glass table so I precariously hung the machine between a table and a desk then I got underneath it, just like it was my old diesel Benz, though I've never been worried about an 18lb part of my car falling directly on my head. Got it fixed and gave that machine to one of my best friends. 
Good luck.
Phil Forrest

25-5-2021 21:44:49  #5

Thanks for that detailed explanation. I hope I can understand it!

I did check the rocker before posting, it was quite free. So far all I've done is cleaned the segment a bit and then I did a test which produced some clues. Almost invariably, it skips one letter after carriage return, and then pretty consistently every 7-9 spaces. I'm going to look closer at the wheel, which has 10 teeth. It looked ok with the nekkid eye but I'll look at it under a magnifier.

25-5-2021 22:05:57  #6

Ehhh....that first space thing might not be a symptom after all...I can't reproduce it now, 

26-5-2021 17:43:45  #7

I've now cleaned the segment and type bars thoroughly but not much has changed. Its still skipping every 7 to 10 spaces. 

I numbered the 10 teeth on the wheel. In the last 12  skips, it has always ended on either 1, 2, or 10, with 8 of those landing on 1. I'll have to try again when I get home to see if this pattern holds with a larger sample size. Sometimes it skips 1 space and sometimes 2, so this is starting to look like there may be a problem around tooth 8, 9 or 10.

I also noticed that although it doesn't skip when using the space bar, something doesn't feel and sound quite right when it gets to that same 7-10 space area. I can feel and hear something awry.

Based on my earlier typewriter "repair" experience with my poor dead Webster, I'm being very careful and testing a lot before I go taking anything apart this time.

26-5-2021 20:24:57  #8

Sounds like your star wheel is wobbly. Perhaps a violent jolt in shipping bent if off axis. I'm not sure of diagnosing it remotely. I have time tomorrow, I'll see if I can get my sterling to skip by loosening the star wheel. Did you get the escapement out and clean? Did you replace the rubber piece that the escapement pawl rests on? What is the status of the pawl itself? 
Phil Forrest

26-5-2021 21:37:22  #9

There is very slight wobble in the star wheel but I don't know how much play is normal. Its very very little, but its there. What definitely has some wobble is this part next to it. It moves pretty freely in the vertical plane if I put my finger on it, but not otherwise. The screw is tight so maybe that is supposed to have some play, I dunno.

28-5-2021 14:29:14  #10

Board footera